Author Topic: Commuting bags, panniers and alternatives?  (Read 2926 times)

Commuting bags, panniers and alternatives?
« on: 05 October, 2017, 08:43:30 am »
I've been commuting for a few years now with the commonly used ortlieb back roller classic pannier bag. It's a great bag and I love it for touring. So reliably dry I don't always feel the need to double bag things like I do with rucksacks. Before that I used a rucksack. It's a great bag to use and one, 20 litre pannier suits my load. But what am I missing out on that's out there for commuting?

To explain my reasons for the enquiry I'll let you know what I carry and what I wish to gain. I carry work clothes, waterproofs, office stuff like diary, paperwork,  some stationary, a collection of USB sticks with an external hard drive, assorted personal items, keys for all sorts of things, two mobile phones, tool kit, inner tube, pump, lock and no doubt other nicnacs I've forgotten about. I wish to gain a bit of compartmentalization. Ideal situation would be pocket for toolkit, pump and inner tube. Somewhere easily accessible outside the main compartment for lock and possibly waterproofs. A pocket for phones. You get the idea.

The other thing is whether a pannier is needed. I've seen a large rack bag from zefal on the distributor' website. It has 20 or more litres capacity. Would it really be stable, even with the extendable panniers to the side?

https://www.bob-elliot.co.uk/viewdetailV2.php?target=37725

Or perhaps the Carradice way?

https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags/super-c-saddlebag

https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags/originals-nelson-longflap-saddlebag

These are just examples but at around £85 plus £45 for a bagman support it's a lot to spend even compared to the ortlieb.

Any suggestions / help?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Commuting bags, panniers and alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:09:42 am »
I've got a Carradice bike bureau which I've been using for 4-5 years now.  It's basically been my bag for everything: long commutes, train journeys, shopping, you name it.  It's great, and at the current price of 95 pounds, less expensive than a saddlebag option as you don't need to invest in a bagman.  It's starting to look a bit tatty now and needs a couple of repairs, but the construction is such that repairs are easy and I expect it to last some more years after this one. 

Other companies have started doing briefcase/pannier products too, e.g. the Ortlieb Commuter or Altura Urban.  The Bike Bureau is quite large so if you want something small and sleek, one of these may be worth a look.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:17:00 am »
I used to use panniers but switched to a messenger bag as I found I preferred the weight on my back.

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2017, 10:57:23 am »
I tend to be more ruthless with what I carry if the weight is on my back (rucksack, never got on with messenger bags).

With panniers I tend to just accumulate stuff without realising. I emptied mine the other day and found a bunch of extra tools and a full bottle of suncream (probably from when I went on a cycle ride with my 7yo in the summer).

Everyone is different but:
* I'm fine with 10kg on my back for anything up to an hour long commute.
* I sweat enough anyway that having something on my back doesn't make it any worse
* It feels like a smoother nicer ride with no panniers (requires a good rucksack though that doesn't swing about).

That said, I only really do one main cycle commute a week now and I have too much stuff (clothes for 2 days, towel, laptop, lunch for 2 days, coffee mugs, 5-a-side football kit including football(s), astroturf boots, bibs, shower stuff, etc) than I can fit in a rucksack so it tends to be two 20L panniers plus some extra stuff in a rucksack.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2017, 12:04:47 pm »
Another v happy Bike Bureau user here.

Key to my choice is that every other pannier I've had has stopped being waterproof sooner rather than later. I know Ortleib are meant to be as waterproof, but I don't get on with them. The multi pocket/division of the Carradice works for me, along with its capability to carry extra shopping if I pick it up on my way home.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2017, 12:57:47 pm »
Agree that the Ortlieb style roll-closure is excellent for touring, but a right pain for this sort of thing.  You want pockets, so you can squirrel the bike tools away and forget about them, rather than having to make sure you haven't removed them, and so you can get to your keys without allowing rain into the main compartment.  You want a compartment for keeping laptops from being bashed and papery things flat.  And you want something that can be carried comfortably off the bike.

An alarming proportion of the bags that get this stuff right seem to be designed to go on the front of Bromptons.

I also note - having researched this for someone who needs it for disability reasons - that there seems to be a distinct lack of panniers that can be worn as rucksacks that aren't ridiculously heavy (Ortlieb's adaptor kit is particularly silly).  We compromised on a locked-in-place rear basket, into which a lightweight rucksack can be bungeed.  Which is actually quite a convenient option, if a basket won't look daft or be otherwise impractical.

« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:37:59 pm »
I've looked at the bike bureau and the description confuses me a little. It says there's two pockets, flat and under the flap. That sounds like it's compartments within the bag rather than separate pockets. I'm right in assuming to get into that pockets you need to open the flap which exposes the main compartment, right? That's one of my issues with the ortlieb pannier.

To me I think the saddle packs they do with a side pocket on each side that's independent of the main section is a better option. Although is there anything else? I'm beginning to wonder if a bolt on ortlieb pocket on my existing pannier might be an option worth considering.

« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:41:35 pm »
Agree that the Ortlieb style roll-closure is excellent for touring, but a right pain for this sort of thing.  You want pockets, so you can squirrel the bike tools away and forget about them, rather than having to make sure you haven't removed them, and so you can get to your keys without allowing rain into the main compartment.  You want a compartment for keeping laptops from being bashed and papery things flat.  And you want something that can be carried comfortably off the bike.

An alarming proportion of the bags that get this stuff right seem to be designed to go on the front of Bromptons.

I also note - having researched this for someone who needs it for disability reasons - that there seems to be a distinct lack of panniers that can be worn as rucksacks that aren't ridiculously heavy (Ortlieb's adaptor kit is particularly silly).  We compromised on a locked-in-place rear basket, into which a lightweight rucksack can be bungeed.  Which is actually quite a convenient option, if a basket won't look daft or be otherwise impractical.

I came across these some months ago. Didn't actually buy them so have no experience of use or quality but they seem keen to provide a variety of options including additional pockets, proper lids or roll tops and back pack straps.

http://crosso.pl/en/technology/modules-system/
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:53:23 pm »
I've looked at the bike bureau and the description confuses me a little. It says there's two pockets, flat and under the flap. That sounds like it's compartments within the bag rather than separate pockets. I'm right in assuming to get into that pockets you need to open the flap which exposes the main compartment, right? That's one of my issues with the ortlieb pannier.

To me I think the saddle packs they do with a side pocket on each side that's independent of the main section is a better option. Although is there anything else? I'm beginning to wonder if a bolt on ortlieb pocket on my existing pannier might be an option worth considering.

What there are:

A big over-flap which is a zipped pocket - could be used for wet stuff. I use it as a "don't forget your keys, dumbo" place, mostly. also works to cover over the clips when carrying on your shoulder
Two front pockets for change etc, one zipped, about 20 cm square each, one behind the other
A socking great pannier with a padded laptop section also top edge of nylon adding on about 15cm with a draw string
A flap to cover the bag with leather straps and buckles which you don' have to use as there are quick release nylon clips but provide expansion
A carry handle on the top
A shoulder strap clipping into each end

« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2017, 01:57:51 pm »
I've been through all sorts of alternatives but have reverted back to the Ortleib because it works. I don't (now) need to get in it on the way so I'm less bothered than I was then

I wish I could keep my load to 'light enough for a rucksack' but the work laptop is ridiculously heavy.

The rack bag option isn't an option for me because I wouldn't be able to get the laptop in it, flat.

I hate am not a fan of Carradice- and the bike bureau is wide enough that I would get heel strike even more than with the Ortleib.

I take office clothes, lunch, breakfast, phone, couple of notepads, laptop.
(Work provide towels and I leave shoes there)

« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2017, 02:13:40 pm »
I use a Carradice nelson to transport clothing / lunch, tools kit, waterproofs etc. and have an Altura Laptop pannier which goes on one side to  carry the laptop and paperwork.

I use an Ortlieb on the otherside if I need to carry PPE or other extra equipment.

« Reply #11 on: 05 October, 2017, 02:18:15 pm »
A Carradice can just sit on the rack top, so you only need to buy extra if you don't have bag loops on your saddle or you want quick release. For QR, you can get the Bagman QR bit without the support.
On a bigger version (Super C or Camper) one side pocket has the tool kit & inner tubes, and the other has the waterproofs. These days the also have a zip-up inner bag hanging from the dowel. Rummaging is eaiser than panniers as the contents are laid out side by side, as it were, rather than being stacked.

« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2017, 03:11:18 pm »

I hate am not a fan of Carradice- and the bike bureau is wide enough that I would get heel strike even more than with the Ortleib.

I take office clothes, lunch, breakfast, phone, couple of notepads, laptop.
(Work provide towels and I leave shoes there)

Ah. there you are wrong. The BB fixing is at an angle to avoid just that iss-shoe.

In an attempt not to sound like so much of an evangelist, I ought to list its downsides.

It's big'n'lumpy'n'heavy. I don't find this an issue for commuting, I did try to use it as a single pannier for touring once, never again.

It has a lump of plastic around the back and under the base. Excellent for avoiding water penetration, but does result in unwanted dirt transfer once it has dried.

Both the above conspire to make it quite hard on pannier racks, but that's actually less expensive than pannier replacement.

« Reply #13 on: 05 October, 2017, 03:13:21 pm »
Both the above conspire to make it quite hard on pannier racks, but that's actually less expensive than pannier replacement.

There was also a time that we could get the Bike Bureau via expenses. A few people around me got one but I never bothered (because I wasn't a fan of the shape and I try not to have to cart my laptop back and forth at all).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #14 on: 05 October, 2017, 03:24:28 pm »
I use an Ortlieb Front Roller (on the rear rack). Then I can't carry as much unnecessary crap as I could with a back roller.
I think the lack of pockets can be good, as I can completely empty it regularly, to check what's in there. Also use a few wee drybags inside, to organise things. ie one for tools, one for snacks etc.

« Reply #15 on: 05 October, 2017, 03:38:44 pm »

There was also a time that we could get the Bike Bureau via expenses. A few people around me got one but I never bothered (because I wasn't a fan of the shape and I try not to have to cart my laptop back and forth at all).

That was how I got my first..... 2005? I sodding had to buy my own last year. Can't tell you how long I spent on the Intranet trying to find the bit that said %Megacorp will pay. (The original hasn't broken but the plastic is wearing, split and catching as you remove)

« Reply #16 on: 05 October, 2017, 04:59:19 pm »
My ortlieb panniers seem to sag too much. I moved the hooks so they'd fit on the lower rails of the rack between two of the three "uprights". This is to make sure they don't slide. To avoid heel strike I put one hook near the middle and the other as far away from the middle as I could without going outside of the uprights.

This means the plastic rail bends and the whole pannier seems to sag badly. Obviously not good but is likely to damage the pannier? The reason I'm planning on replacing it is because of this as well as the lack of useful pockets.

Crosso are a good company I think. I looked at them when researching frame bags.

« Reply #17 on: 05 October, 2017, 10:16:08 pm »
I use an Ortlieb pannier and have the same issue. You can get side pockets in two sizes, that you can attach. However, mine are City Rollers, which I think are really too small to take one of those. So, for my folder, I'm thinking of a small handlebar bag for the loose bits.

« Reply #18 on: 07 October, 2017, 01:07:25 pm »

I have the Ortlieb Downtown.

After years of various other panniers, having something properly waterproof is worth the extra money. It's not as waterproof as a roller style - you can't chuck it in a river - it's as good as totally waterproof for normal use. With the others it was a case of stopping (in the pissing rain), digging out the cover, and *still* worrying that the water might be getting in. It has a laptop divider and a couple of internal pockets for wallet, keys, etc. and with the large flap you can dig around for stuff without rain getting it. It's a bit on the large side: easily fits a pair of shoes, trousers and shirt plus laptop. They do a slightly smaller one ("commuter urban bag" or something like that) not sure if it's as waterproof but knowing ortlieb it probably is.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #19 on: 07 October, 2017, 06:48:15 pm »
I use one of these - https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Bike-Packer%20Plus/ on the Starboard side. It has an external pouch (phone, wallet) a larger inside space (clothes, waterproofs, lunch) and in the inside space there is an open pouch and a zipped pocket (with mesh).

On the Port side I have one of these - https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Office-Bag/, sort of. I have an older slimmer version which appears to have been discontinued. I added the laptop padded bag too and there's any number of pouches in that.

For me that all works together very well.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #20 on: 24 October, 2017, 10:13:43 am »
I also just use a messenger bag.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 24 October, 2017, 10:20:59 am »

I have an Exped Typhoon 15 backpack. It keeps my laptop and other electronics dry in what ever the Dutch weather can throw at it. It's also quite small so I don't tend to carry needless crap. It's got an internal pocket at the top which is handy for keys, but other wise there is no compartmentalization. If I need things separate I tend to use small (1-2l) dry bags from alpkit, or aloksaks. My waterproof trousers are bungeed to the outside, and if it's too hot for the waterproof jacket I normally wear (Páramo Quito jacket), then that too can be bungeed on the outside. It works for me, but it may not work for everyone. If I wanted something more mounted to the bike I'd probably go with a caradice style bag on their SQR rack system, tho I don't think they are going to be as weather proof.

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #22 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:31:53 am »
When I commuted on a solo bike, I used an ortlieb with a carradice saddlebag. The carradice always had waterproof, toolkit and pump. Everything else went in my ortlieb, with personals in my barbag which makes a good sized handbag. On the tandem I have virtually everything in the brompton bag on the front and only spare clothes and towels and so on in the ortlieb on the back.

I don't travel light or fast though, even when commuting. (I did occasionally commute on my fast bike with no luggage except a small saddlebag with puncture repair kit when I had a job where I left more stuff there).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.