Author Topic: Carbon fibre stem?  (Read 3851 times)

Carbon fibre stem?
« on: 10 October, 2017, 03:58:41 pm »
Does the team think this a good idea to help deal with my hands getting beaten up by our rubbish roads?  I've done the usual, bigger tyres and decent gloves and the bike already has carbon forks.

If it's a goer how do I measure the stem - centre to centre?, and the rise?

Thank you
Julia
Reine de la Fauche

IJL

Re: Carbon fibre stem?
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2017, 05:12:48 pm »
I can't imagine a stem change would make much difference, bigger tyres at lower pressures make a huge impact at the bars, 28mm tyres can be run at fairly low pressure if you have the clearance.  otherwise thick or double bar tape is good.  Adjusting the riding position may help to get some weight off your hands and lessen the impact

« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2017, 05:13:42 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2017, 06:07:10 pm »
Rather than the stem, how about carbon bars?  A set of these has markedly reduced vibration on my Cervelo (which was previously a bit "exciting").  On the hoods & drops there is more flex (but nothing unnerving or unpleasant) due to the aero profile of the tops.  Still using an alu stem.

https://www.merlincycles.com/3t-aeronova-team-carbon-road-bars-90965.html
The sound of one pannier flapping

Samuel D

« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2017, 06:14:47 pm »
Due to the stem’s short length, any flexibility in it (short of suspension) will not noticeably affect comfort (except perhaps when riding with one hand, when the stem is loaded in torsion).

I’d approach this problem differently. As IJL suggests, the problem is often not the vibration itself but too much weight on the hands. You’re a woman, and women have this problem even more often than men, for a host of reasons starting with overly steep seat-tube angles on smaller frames.

The “SADDLE SETBACK” section of this fitting guide (PDF) explains how to reduce weight on the hands. A small variation in setback can make a large difference to weight on the hands and therefore comfort.

« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2017, 09:57:51 pm »
Is your bike disc braked please?

« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2017, 11:06:33 pm »
Rather than the stem, how about carbon bars?  A set of these has markedly reduced vibration on my Cervelo (which was previously a bit "exciting").  On the hoods & drops there is more flex (but nothing unnerving or unpleasant) due to the aero profile of the tops.  Still using an alu stem.

https://www.merlincycles.com/3t-aeronova-team-carbon-road-bars-90965.html

Expense and faff!  I've just retaped the bars as well...It might be the best option though.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2017, 11:10:01 pm »
Due to the stem’s short length, any flexibility in it (short of suspension) will not noticeably affect comfort (except perhaps when riding with one hand, when the stem is loaded in torsion).

I’d approach this problem differently. As IJL suggests, the problem is often not the vibration itself but too much weight on the hands. You’re a woman, and women have this problem even more often than men, for a host of reasons starting with overly steep seat-tube angles on smaller frames.

The “SADDLE SETBACK” section of this fitting guide (PDF) explains how to reduce weight on the hands. A small variation in setback can make a large difference to weight on the hands and therefore comfort.

I'm fairly sure it's not a position problem but a result of recently required arthritis. I have only had the problem for the last few months. I have had the bike for 6 or 7 years.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2017, 11:23:10 pm »
Is your bike disc braked please?
No, standard calipers (Veloce)
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2017, 07:51:10 am »
Garvin flexystem off an  80's mountain bike , heavy and only available in long stem lengths ( 135 mm ish ) . Works well on my old roadify mtb Raleigh exodus .
Its More Fun With Three .

Samuel D

« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2017, 08:22:21 am »
I'm fairly sure it's not a position problem but a result of recently required arthritis. I have only had the problem for the last few months. I have had the bike for 6 or 7 years.

The arthritis may have caused your recent discomfort, but might less weight on the hands help?

I have found padded bars, gloves, carbon forks and all the rest to not make much difference. Tyres and pressures make a difference, but reducing weight on the hands made the big difference for me. I don’t have arthritis, though.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2017, 09:12:35 am »
Stem length is measured centre-to-centre.  If the bike is sized correctly for you, then a low angle such as 5 or 7 degrees is good.

I’d approach this problem differently. As IJL suggests, the problem is often not the vibration itself but too much weight on the hands.

Any alteration to riding position to reduce weight on the hands, transfers that weight (and therefore any associated discomfort) to the bum.  The only way out of this catch-22 is to get fitter.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2017, 09:21:06 am »
I was going to say, perhaps the best investment would be some Pilates classes or other core strength based exercises.  In addition to that, an extra layer of bar tape is going to give the most bang for your buck.

Samuel D

« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2017, 09:28:43 am »
Any alteration to riding position to reduce weight on the hands, transfers that weight (and therefore any associated discomfort) to the bum.  The only way out of this catch-22 is to get fitter.

It does indeed transfer weight to the bum (unless you push the pedals harder, as you say), but (1) a large reduction in the (small) weight on the hands results in a proportionally smaller increase in the (large) weight on the bum, and (2) luckily, bums are pretty good at sitting!

Hands, on the other hand, are bad at bearing weight for long periods of time.

I have ridden all day on rough roads (including ~30 km on rock-strewn dirt roads) with 25 mm tyres, thin bar tape, and no gloves without hand problems, all because of the advice in that fitting guide.

Core strength is needed to support your cantilevered torso, but no amount of core strength can do that if your weight is not correctly balanced for the force with which you’re pushing the pedals, since there’s nothing to brace against. The bracing occurs against the forward pedal or the handlebar. This is why most cyclists fall forward if they remove their hands from the handlebar while riding gently in a low position, even if they can trivially support their cantilevered torso in that position.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #14 on: 11 October, 2017, 11:06:59 am »
Carbon stems are very very stiff and will not help.
Double bartape or buy some gel pads to put under the tape.
I've had Cinelli's for the last 4 years and they make a difference.

« Reply #15 on: 11 October, 2017, 03:55:41 pm »
Carbon stems are very very stiff and will not help.
Double bartape or buy some gel pads to put under the tape.
I've had Cinelli's for the last 4 years and they make a difference.

Thanks Gus. That confirms my suspicion. I've already got gel under lizard skin tape and don't really want to change the bars having found a pair I like. I think I'll have a look at this https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stems/100-tranzx-st146a2-antishock-1-18-inch-stem-7-deg-318mm-clamp-black/.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #16 on: 11 October, 2017, 03:57:18 pm »
one of these stems will make a difference

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stems/100-tranzx-st146a2-antishock-1-18-inch-stem-7-deg-318mm-clamp-black/

cheers

Very interesting thank you. I've checked out a few reviews and it could be just the job. A few extra grams is no problem, it's not my best bike!
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #17 on: 11 October, 2017, 08:22:30 pm »
There's also this:- https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

It's heavier and more expensive than the TransX stem but it has, I think, more movement and it's adjustable.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 11 October, 2017, 08:29:20 pm »
I preferred using an Allsop suspension stem, because the handlebar didn't roll forwards through the suspension travel and you didn't get different resistance to bumps as you shifted position on the bars.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/soft.html
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 11 October, 2017, 08:44:03 pm »
There's also this:- https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

It's heavier and more expensive than the TransX stem but it has, I think, more movement and it's adjustable.

Once you get to that sort of price, wouldn't you be better off doing it properly and fitting a suspension fork?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #20 on: 11 October, 2017, 11:20:13 pm »

It does indeed transfer weight to the bum (unless you push the pedals harder, as you say), but (1) a large reduction in the (small) weight on the hands results in a proportionally smaller increase in the (large) weight on the bum, and (2) luckily, bums are pretty good at sitting!

The pain has to go somewhere, I just say, be careful what you wish for.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #21 on: 15 October, 2017, 11:45:01 pm »
Carbon fibre is the wrong material for a stem: in order to make it adequately stiff, the amount of material required is much greater than aluminium, so you end up with a more expensive and heavier component for no benefit.

And as already noted, a stem is too short to provide any damping.

Far better to deal with the problem at source before it reaches you, at the wheels: modern, wide rims; wide, supple tyres; latex inner tubes; lower pressures.

This, together with a shorter stem and reduced reach, narrower bars helped one of my customers go from being in pain after twenty minutes despite gel mitts, gel pads and thick tape to being able to ride 200 pain-free km.