Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118981 times)

Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #75 on: 03 December, 2017, 12:54:33 pm »
 :thumbsup: for the route back, though the milage watchers will look at 110k as per my garmin with a raised eyebrow. But come on it's only a hundred and that last leg from Gt Notley was excellent. And there were even a few sneaky lanes new to me on the way out and I know that area well, so nice one! I 'not raced' a couple all day but they toasted me in last 20km only to loose their advantage by getting Lost in Witham. I am sure that's a Ken Loach movie, or should be. Or maybe something about teenagers on Netflix... anyway a great day a'wheel and as always nice to catch up with old and new at the end. And well done all the ECE folk for being bothered!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #76 on: 03 December, 2017, 03:08:49 pm »
An early start just before seven and a three-hour slog-a-thon in the cold morning gave me little time to suffer café legs before Tomsk set us off.

I was feeling cold, though, as we pootled — slowly — through the outskirts of Witham, and when a few quicker riders leapt off the front, I chased them down and stuck to Hugh's wheel, just to keep warm!

Some chap I don't know sat just dangling off the front for 45 minutes or so, so I did the honourable and took a turn.  It must've been downhill or I had a private tailwind to High Easter, because by the time someone else rode by we'd somehow dropped the Orange Tandem!  Buggered me up for the rest of the ride though, and it wasn't long before David, a 9.30 starter, called out as we passed and I was happy to drop off for a chat. 

I hadn't had any breakfast before starting and nothing to eat on the way down, so the final 10km into the café were a bit of grovelling on David's wheel.  And we were passed by the tandem.

The café were well organised as last year and from ordering to eating was about three minutes.  Soup and a ham sandwich — I really should remember to avoid pork when I'm riding, as I had indigestion for the next few hours!  It's a family thing ... however, nice to have some breakfast at last.

Rode from the café solo and a rider caught me just before Brick End and the right-left by the Prince of Wales — when I indicated right, he shouted "no, left!", to which I told him he could go left if he wanted, I was going right.  Mike followed and explained that he was using the RideWithGPS app and spoken instructions in his ear, and they had been a bit iffy all day. 

Every Essex audax goes to Thaxted!  While that's not even vaguely true, Thaxted does feature on a LOT of events (including one of mine).

In Thaxted RWGPS told Mike to carry on up the hill — when I called him back, he stuck with me then as far as the Blue Egg, after which I couldn't maintain his pace.  I caught up with him at arrivée and he said it had sent him all around Witham before guiding him to where he'd intended to go — another double-plus for the humble routesheet, methinks.

After the Blue Egg, I came across another fixed-gear rider — Richie Phipps, Mr Fixed-Gear himself!  :thumbsup:  Oh, the honour  ;D  Not quite as quick as me, as I was still pushing on to keep warm, so a few minutes' chat before carrying on.

As we got closer to arrivée, my speed increased again — partly because I was managing to drink more, and partly because the stomach was less painful.  But also because I tend to raise my pace when the end is in sight.  I caught and passed a couple of slower groups — probably 9.30 starters — and arrived back in Witham by the new back-lanes route in just over five hours, suffering from winter-pace.  Right outside the door of the Battesford Court PH I managed to slash my rear sidewall open on some glass in the road.  After an amateurish first attempted fix, and deflation, I went back out into the cold again and did it properly.

I spent way longer chatting with Tomsk + family and other riders than I had intended, plus fixing the p*nkt!re, so was stopped there for three whole hours, before finally venturing out to start the return ECE leg of 72km.  I had so little energy I could barely turn the pedals up the hills.  TBH I think it's dehydration, because I hardly drank anything all day and yet was working quite hard at times.  The road seemed to go up all the way to Castle Camps and then a fast descent to Linton, followed by the sharp up-and-over the Gogs and then Cambridge.  As always, once the end was in sight, my pace went up.

All in all a good day on the bike, but tough in places.  It was nice to be out with other riders on the main event — I do a lot of solo riding, checking and re-checking routes, so it's a novelty to have people to chat to, not that I was that chatty yesterday.  I'm not sure I'll ever get to love a winter ECE to Witham — in places it's a glorious, quiet, lanes with big views, and in others it's Braintree.

Thanks to Tomsk for organising, helpers for helping, riders for their company, and the 'Spoons for providing somewhere to hide from the cold  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #77 on: 03 December, 2017, 05:12:32 pm »
That was me out front once my garmin had started giving me proper directions.  I was glad you appeared when you did as I was due a rest and none of the bunch behind looked like helping.

That was you with the camera wasn't it?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #78 on: 03 December, 2017, 06:39:57 pm »
That was me out front once my garmin had started giving me proper directions.  I was glad you appeared when you did as I was due a rest and none of the bunch behind looked like helping.

That was you with the camera wasn't it?

Ah, good to meet you Dave  :thumbsup:

I think you did the biggest turn, although after I petered out then Martin did take a turn and Hugh later on too.

Yes, I did take some pics a-wheel, although I think I fumbled most of the photos — it's easy taking pics in dry, grippy conditions, unlike yesterday — and the camera has several great qualities (shockproof, waterproof, iceproof), but capturing picture quality isn't one of them.  Here are a few ...

Chasing ElyDave in order to warm up shortly after leaving Witham:

The groupetto allowing ElyDave to dangle off the front on his own:

Giving ElyDave a breather from just after Littley Green, a wheel to follow:

« Reply #79 on: 03 December, 2017, 06:54:24 pm »
So how many fixed riders were there? I was on the green Pompino.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #80 on: 03 December, 2017, 07:02:10 pm »

A few — you, me, Richie Phipps, defo.  I spotted a smart black machine at the café.  I didn't see what Oaky was riding?  He was on fixed last year.  I'm sure there were others. 

ElyDave

« Reply #81 on: 03 December, 2017, 07:10:12 pm »
Cheers WB, in those early photos I was happy to be making the moves, just trying to warm up

« Reply #82 on: 04 December, 2017, 09:23:34 am »

A few — you, me, Richie Phipps, defo.  I spotted a smart black machine at the café.  I didn't see what Oaky was riding?  He was on fixed last year.  I'm sure there were others.
AndyC33333333 and I were both on fixed. Tippers and Oaky had their excuses for bringing gears (dog ate spanner and hit by meteorite respectively).

The last few kms were much improved on last year's racetrack and it is a great route overall.  Thank you team Tomsk and Jiber, I assume Jiber had been asked to drink beer and take selfies as his contribution to the day.

I did notice there were quite a few EOLs - when will people realise that Mid-Essex has its own perfect micro climate so there is no need to hang back for the weather (Note: this does not apply to helpers' rides which are subject to interesting weather).

I rode the outward leg with the famous ACME B Peloton.  I assume Bikeability Man thought he had joined the A Peloton and so couldn't quite understand the sociable pace and prolonged lunch stop.  For my part, it was hard enough just to hold on so while Oaky and Huggy were squabbling over whether to have the Montrachet or the Chablis with their starter at Thremhall, I set off alone for Thaxted at my own pace.   The second part of the ride was glorious in the winter sun and the roads were unusually quiet so it was a pleasant meander back to Witham.

Next month it's the Kelvedon Oyster...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #83 on: 04 December, 2017, 09:45:37 am »
I too found the alternative route to Witham far better, and certainly on par with the excellent lanes from Witham to Thremhall.

I was early at the start, and was treated to table service whilst I ate my breakfast ... being asked what time I would like to start the ride, and then shortly afterwards my brevet card was delivered to the table. Great to see the service economy being taken on so heartedly.

My winter legs still prevail, but it is joyful to have such fine weather at this time of year, the company of so many riders out to enjoy the day, and a destination that serves fine beverages before the ride home.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #84 on: 04 December, 2017, 09:52:06 am »

My fixed had a flat front tyrebeen hit by a meteorite when I went to get it from the garage, so rather than repair it and potentially be a little too late for a Spoons breakfast, I subbed in the geared bike instead.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #85 on: 04 December, 2017, 10:16:07 am »
After a lonely 80 mile ride to the start, I was looking forward to riding with company. My team mate Big Saxon was a dns, so when I saw the straggler, I thought I'd ride with him. I had no intention of blasting around the route, as I had a hard slog uphills home (MK is around 250 ft higher than Witham). I only went naturally ahead nearing the excellent cafe, and after riding up a hill (in Essex??) after Thaxted. I only wish I could have sampled more beer at the finish!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #86 on: 04 December, 2017, 08:18:11 pm »

Helpers' Ride for me on 72" fixed :thumbsup: With the hour-plus lunch stop and sociable pace, we would have been the ACME 'C' Peloton. Below BRM pace, but Brrrrr, it's winter: if we'd gone faster we'd've sweated too much [at -4] and got chilled.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #87 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:58:03 pm »

Good to see you again Wilkyboy and I've just caught up with his thread.

Another fixer was Mick Bates (not OTP, I believe) and someone who reached the control with me, but whose name I have never known. He was on a green (re?)painted fixie.

Regards,
RP
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: 11 December, 2017, 08:31:40 pm »
The Stansted Airport Express to be repeated on 1st December 2018  :thumbsup:

I went in to the Cafe at Thremhall Park last week [on my birthday]: my treat - lime and courgette cake [very moist], and unlimited coffee  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:... I wanted to give my thanks in person and to pass on the positive comment that many of you made, plus an AUK certificate for their notice board [last year's still there proudly displayed]. Both they and I were very pleased with how well it went. A very special Tomsk Thumbs Up  :thumbsup:

72 starters, 70 finishers [two EOLs went AWOL], plus the 3 helpers the week before of course.

« Reply #89 on: 11 December, 2017, 08:36:43 pm »
72 starters, 70 finishers [two EOLs went AWOL], plus the 3 helpers the week before of course.

That's a very high success rate, and a testament to the routing, choice of controls, and nice weather.  :thumbsup:

Hopefully 1st December 2018 will be equally fair.

« Reply #90 on: 02 January, 2018, 05:52:13 pm »
It's nearly time for the third event in the ACME Anvil Winter Series - the Kelvedon Oyster on the 13th of January.

The ride doesn't start in Witham 'Spoons but it does start in a pub - The Railway Tavern in Kelvedon.

It also looks as if I have been able to arrange for no significant engineering works on Greater Anglia again, (most people from that London seemed to ECE it anyway but I thought I'd mention it).  There is also parking nearby and plenty of room for bikes in the pub beer garden.

Arrangements are in hand for the traditional seafood surprise at the West Mersea control.  It may not be native oysters this year due to technical difficulties but it will be something and, once again, the Bank of ACME will be issuing its famous currency - the One Tomsk note, exchangeable for said seafood.

EOL will be available but why not show some optimism about the weather and book in advance  :thumbsup:

« Reply #91 on: 03 January, 2018, 08:34:28 pm »
It also looks as if I have been able to arrange for no significant engineering works on Greater Anglia again, (most people from that London seemed to ECE it anyway but I thought I'd mention it).
Helps me. I'm coming from north of that London, and have no plans to ECE that distance :thumbsup:

« Reply #92 on: 03 January, 2018, 08:54:21 pm »
What's the rate of inflation on a Tomsk note?

ElyDave

« Reply #93 on: 03 January, 2018, 11:17:18 pm »
Already signed up for the next two :thumbsup:

« Reply #94 on: 03 January, 2018, 11:27:32 pm »
Entered and looking forward to it!

There's a chance I'll be a few minutes late to the start. Are you going to be around or rushing off?

« Reply #95 on: 04 January, 2018, 01:24:09 pm »
I don't even remember entering it but I did  ;D I'm nearly at a point where ECEing feels like too much work but that would mean a 200 at another point in the month. I think I'll to a 50/50 or a 75/25 again. An extra couple of hours in bed was much appreciated last time even if the last 50 did turn into a bit of a chore after too many beers....

« Reply #96 on: 04 January, 2018, 01:32:08 pm »

It's been a rollercoaster year for the Tomsk, a bit like other virtual currencies.  I am hopeful that One Tomsk = One native oyster but that is still subject to confirmation.

The West Mersea Oyster Bar is closed for its annual deep clean.  They have offered to host us at their chip shop in the village but they don't serve oysters there  :(  I have an alternative but they have been closed over Xmas and were not around this morning.

Fortunately. the good people at the Railway Tavern in Kelvedon are looking forward to seeing us all again.  The landlord is at his son's wedding in Singapore that week but has put arrangements in place especially for us  :thumbsup:  Make sure you make it his worth his while...(yes Tippers, I'm looking at you  ;D).

The event had to be moved back a week this year as the tide would have been over the road exactly when we were coming through if we had stuck with the 20th.

« Reply #97 on: 04 January, 2018, 02:00:20 pm »
The event had to be moved back a week this year as the tide would have been over the road exactly when we were coming through if we had stuck with the 20th.

Hopefully you meant 'brought forward by a week', as I have it down as the 13th Jan.

« Reply #98 on: 04 January, 2018, 02:01:07 pm »

Fortunately. the good people at the Railway Tavern in Kelvedon are looking forward to seeing us all again.  The landlord is at his son's wedding in Singapore that week but has put arrangements in place especially for us  :thumbsup:  Make sure you make it his worth his while...(yes Tippers, I'm looking at you  ;D).

Guess I better explain to Mrs Tipper why I need to ride a 200 later in the month then :-)

« Reply #99 on: 04 January, 2018, 02:27:18 pm »

Hopefully you meant 'brought forward by a week', as I have it down as the 13th Jan.

Whichever way around it is, the event is happening on the 13th  :thumbsup: