Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 120745 times)

Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #700 on: 02 December, 2022, 10:48:13 pm »
Have a good ride tomorrow folks, the weather looks pretty benign.  A festive diary clash prevents me from joining you unfortunately.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #701 on: 03 December, 2022, 05:54:02 pm »
Feet finally warmed up on the way home.  I'm glad I got out to do that, though I was regretting it at about 85km as the mercury started to drop further and the winchill nibbled at my bits.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #702 on: 03 December, 2022, 06:31:44 pm »
As I remarked to one or two people at the time, it was a bit of a shock when the e-brevet app announced that I was 5760km from Witham. Especially as I was standing in the pub garden at the time.

« Reply #703 on: 03 December, 2022, 08:40:06 pm »
Saw quite a few of the riders, the route goes past my house very near the end and a few riders pushing bikes through the closed roads for our towns Christmas light switch on

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #704 on: 05 December, 2022, 09:45:33 am »
Thanks to Tomsk and team for organising an excellent ride - I think I've done this calendar ride more than any other now, and it's nice to have a catch up in the pub afterwards over a few pints and see lots of familiar faces. Definitely more sociable than the 200k solo DIYs that I've mainly been limited to of late. Excellent company throughout the day from Owen and Psyclist as well as Toby's Dad in the morning, it makes such a difference having someone to talk to when you're pushing into a chilly north easterly wind!

The wind assisted ride home was going very nicely until Harlow, when my chain decided to disintegrate (suspect the quick link wasn't quite correctly installed, as it's a relatively new chain, but I need to have a closer look when I get some time). I'd somehow managed to bring a chain tool with me, but no replacement links  :facepalm: :facepalm:, so rather than walk 18k home, the team car kindly agreed to come out and pick me up.

Looking forward to the next one, hopefully nice dry weather again, but no more mechanicals please!

« Reply #705 on: 23 January, 2023, 07:45:43 pm »
The Kelvedon Oyster - running this Saturday - is almost at capacity.

Hurry now while places last.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #706 on: 23 January, 2023, 08:19:19 pm »
Is now a good time to mention that the link to the route sheet on the acme web site isn't linking to anything (unless you count 404 not found)?
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #707 on: 23 January, 2023, 09:04:22 pm »
Mention away.

It is a fairly untended field that website.

I will be sending an updated and as-ridden (by my junior assistant, Huggy) GPX in a couple of days.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #708 on: 24 January, 2023, 09:07:37 am »
I assume you mean GPX and route sheet  :D  'cos I don't have a GPX thingy.
But next few days is fine.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #709 on: 24 January, 2023, 09:17:26 am »
Yes, route sheet as well  :thumbsup:

He's coming on well that junior assistant.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #710 on: 25 January, 2023, 08:06:21 pm »
Junior Assistant to the Ostreaphile here. emails to entrants have been sent out this evening and all documents & GPX are now available for your downloading pleasure at https://audax.uk/event-details/10292-the_kelvedon_oyster
If you prefer your own flavour of GPX/TCX file you can get it from https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41797328
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #711 on: 27 January, 2023, 01:22:48 pm »
If you prefer your own flavour of GPX/TCX file you can get it from https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41797328

Big advantage of advising the RidewithGPS link is that the route can be pinned within the app, and it then magically appears on my Wahoo, no messing with downloading GPX files and reuploading somewhere. So thank you for providing the link  :thumbsup:

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #712 on: 28 January, 2023, 10:25:53 pm »
Thank you team, for another lovely day out! The Oyster is my fave.

A mostly solitary day for me, which is fine - such a lovely route! A bit of chatting with new people at controls, which was nice. Great weather today, and a nice amount of daylight. I got to Manningtree in good time to get the 18.21 from Ipswich, which had a fair few football people, but not too many. Thanks again for a lovely day out!  :)

« Reply #713 on: 29 January, 2023, 12:59:36 pm »
Super Kelvedon Oyster once more, made even better with benign weather this year  :thumbsup:

I have a couple of ebrevet questions, which should probably be posted elsewhere but when I search yacf I cannot find a more specific thread.

• I forgot to upload my finished ride on the app until I was riding home. I still uploaded within the time limits. For future reference, is the finish control time taken when the final control is registered, or when the file is uploaded?
  • I didn't let the organiser know I'd finished as the desk was mobbed, but just scanned the QR code. Is it sufficient to rely on the ebrevet to inform the organiser that I've finished the ride, or should you also let a 'real' person know? Generally this wouldn't be an issue as I'd be speaking to the organiser at the end, but it was quite different at the end of the Oyster.

« Reply #714 on: 29 January, 2023, 01:26:49 pm »
Super Kelvedon Oyster once more, made even better with benign weather this year  :thumbsup:

I have a couple of ebrevet questions, which should probably be posted elsewhere but when I search yacf I cannot find a more specific thread.

• I forgot to upload my finished ride on the app until I was riding home. I still uploaded within the time limits. For future reference, is the finish control time taken when the final control is registered, or when the file is uploaded?

It’s taken when final control is registered. We get timings for every control. I occasionally get E-Brevet uploaded next morning after an event.

• I didn't let the organiser know I'd finished as the desk was mobbed, but just scanned the QR code. Is it sufficient to rely on the ebrevet to inform the organiser that I've finished the ride, or should you also let a 'real' person know? Generally this wouldn't be an issue as I'd be speaking to the organiser at the end, but it was quite different at the end of the Oyster.

The organiser gets an email whenever an E-Brevet is uploaded. If they have their phone on them with data and it’s turned on they’ll get a ping. Unfortunately the email subject doesn’t include the rider name. I might post on that subject in audax uk forum.

Note that for PBP qualification events you’ll still need to hand over a completed physical brevet card even if using e-brevet. The cards need to go off to the validators after the organiser has checked them all and is satisfied with proof of passage etc.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #715 on: 29 January, 2023, 01:32:01 pm »
Interesting regarding e-brevet. I didn't know I had to upload it and can't see this in the entry instructions - although it is in the details on the audax website - https://audax.uk/media/2285/ebriders.pdf

Just uploaded now and it has worked. So probably ok I guess.

More importantly, many thanks to the team for a very pleasant day out. 👍👍

« Reply #716 on: 29 January, 2023, 01:55:35 pm »
If you don’t upload your E-Brevet before downloading another, then your proof of passage is wiped out.  This may lead to you not being validated for the event.

« Reply #717 on: 29 January, 2023, 02:06:32 pm »
So how many riders were there yesterday? With a cancelled train and arriving at the last minute for the start, I really only saw the tail enders. But I heard tale of 140 entrants?

« Reply #718 on: 29 January, 2023, 02:38:34 pm »
It’s taken when final control is registered. We get timings for every control. I occasionally get E-Brevet uploaded next morning after an event.

Thank you for confirming  :thumbsup:

@tedshred / @huggy ... I have just reread the ebrevet guide and spotted the last sentence. Apologies, I should have announced myself. Rather belatedly, just to let you know, I have finished   O:-)

"At the finish show your completed e-brevet to one of the controllers so they can tick you off the arrival list"

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #719 on: 29 January, 2023, 02:41:20 pm »
The last line of the 'short' getting started instructions emailed to everyone and displayed at the check-in desk in the morning says:
At the finish show your completed e-brevet to one of the controllers so they can tick you off the arrival list.
ETA: x-post with psyclist
We were getting very stressed about having unaccounted for riders at finish!! At least, we were stressed until another Essex Energy Drink calmed our nerves.

Note that the e-brevet system is a closed system to itself - it does not cross validate to the Aukweb event finish list. So, apart from it looking pretty on your phone screen and providing a separate e-brevet rider record, you still need to be validated in the main system to have your ride appear on your record.
Yes, a confirmation email is sent to the Org and rider at completed e-brevet upload BUT many of those confirmation emails do not arrive until a significant time after control closure, if not next day, email is not a real-time communication medium.
I'll add another line in the e-brevet getting started instructions about uploading your completed e-brevet, however, those that came to the desk to present their e-brevedence were instructed to upload it then.

There were 152 entries and (I think) 114 riders started yesterday. The ACME Winter Anvil rides continue to provide an excuse to get out on the bike through the winter months  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #720 on: 30 January, 2023, 07:06:35 am »
There were 152 entries and (I think) 114 riders started yesterday. The ACME Winter Anvil rides continue to provide an excuse to get out on the bike through the winter months  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Good job folks, well done!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #721 on: 02 February, 2023, 07:28:55 am »
Route check of the Knights Templar planned for Saturday 4th Feb setting off 9:30(ish) from ‘spoons, usual Helpers welcome for breakfast.
All files are available for download from the event page at https://audax.uk/event-details/10000-knights_templar_compasses and GPX or TCX of your choice from https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41680788

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #722 on: 02 February, 2023, 09:25:44 am »
Depending on whats happening domestically, I might join on at the same place as last time and have a ride round for as long as I fancy  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #723 on: 02 February, 2023, 09:34:23 am »
Will the e-brevet option be available?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #724 on: 02 February, 2023, 10:43:18 am »
Will the e-brevet option be available?
Yes, it will.