Author Topic: Quality high spoke count carbon disc rims.  (Read 9968 times)

Re: Quality high spoke count carbon disc rims.
« Reply #50 on: 15 November, 2017, 12:17:53 pm »
Very expensive, but these may do the trick.
https://enve.com/products/ses-4-5-ar/
Not a super high a spoke count, but designed for rough surface use.
Frank I'm 80+ kg.  :o
often lost.

« Reply #51 on: 15 November, 2017, 06:22:50 pm »

Have you thought of taking up rugby? :)

« Reply #52 on: 15 November, 2017, 10:11:12 pm »

Have you thought of taking up rugby? :)

Yeah I though I had drifted into the wrong sport until I bumped into Hippy on TCR.
often lost.

« Reply #53 on: 15 November, 2017, 11:10:39 pm »
I'm a stone heavier than when my wheelbuilder specc'd my TCR wheels: I expect he might suggest a few more spokes. I may have invalidated the warranty...

« Reply #54 on: 16 November, 2017, 01:02:01 am »
I'm a stone heavier than when my wheelbuilder specc'd my TCR wheels: I expect he might suggest a few more spokes. I may have invalidated the warranty...

Its just the baby weight. It will go.  :D
often lost.

« Reply #55 on: 16 November, 2017, 08:31:33 am »
I'm 5'8" (just), most people think I'm 'small' build and I'm 80Kg. So when did 80kg become heavy?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #56 on: 16 November, 2017, 08:56:21 am »
I'm (almost) 6' 1" and tipped the scales at 82kgs this morning - slightly up on the week. I don't think I'm thin, but even getting Castelli tights that are long enough and not too big around the middle is a challenge. Much lower and I don't the no M&S will cater for me at all...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #57 on: 16 November, 2017, 09:13:09 am »
I'm 182cm and raced at 75-77kg, currently low-80s. I was classified as obese when I was around 90kg.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 16 November, 2017, 10:30:27 am »
I'm 5'8" (just), most people think I'm 'small' build and I'm 80Kg. So when did 80kg become heavy?
Amongst elite (pro or am) cyclists, it's very heavy - no offence meant!

In terms of general population and current medical advice, I'm less sure ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #59 on: 16 November, 2017, 10:46:36 am »
Amongst elite (pro or am) cyclists, it's very heavy - no offence meant!

In terms of general population and current medical advice, I'm less sure ...

'Correct' weight is a interesting question. It's not at all obvious that Froome or other GC contenders are ideal as they go into a race. 4% or lower body fat was unheard of when I was running racing (186cm. 71 - 72 kg). I do suspect that normality now errs on the top side though.

LW&B's racing numbers seem reasonable, but don't look like a modern GC?

Mike

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #60 on: 16 November, 2017, 11:08:29 am »
My proper racing days are a quarter century ago. I was happy with body fat around 10% (kept getting ill below that; at 72kg people thought I had cancer) and never could climb well enough to GC in hilly stage races (though did get third in a flat week-long race once). I did much better on the velodrome, though my sprint was almost undetectable.

rob

« Reply #61 on: 16 November, 2017, 11:14:37 am »

I'm the same height and 62kg.   I was running at 60kg for a lot of last year, but really had to make sure I fuelled correctly at that level.

I've only just started using wheels with lower spoke count (28h rear and 20h front) and they're all ally rather than carbon.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #62 on: 16 November, 2017, 11:22:08 am »
181cm, proper race weight 70kg though I seldom get there, normal summer weight 72kg, normal winter weight 75kg, current weight 77kg+.  I've never had a problem with my 12/20 spoke Corimas ...

TBH I wouldn't deep section carbons for something like the TCR, I'd want something a bit more compliant - probably Archetypes or similar.

« Reply #63 on: 16 November, 2017, 12:26:21 pm »
Fabian Cancellara is 82 kilos, a mere  kilo below my weight so there is hope.   O:-)  Mind you he's 3 inches taller!

Its one of the intriguing aspects of a TCR type race where there are route choices. The artillery will probably choose a flatter route and bash out the miles on aerobars, while the light infantry will go direct up and over the hill. That in itself could dictate choice of equipment such as wheel set.
often lost.

« Reply #64 on: 16 November, 2017, 01:24:27 pm »
Interesting. Velonews, in April 16, put Cancellara at 186cm and 80kg and Peter Sagan at 183cm and 73kg. Both big powerful riders, albeit not the same. Iirc, Froome is 186cm and anywhere from 63 to 66kg depending who you ask and when.

All successful, but at different things.

« Reply #65 on: 21 November, 2017, 07:18:24 pm »
I've nicked my wife 650b wheels for a few test runs.
The same Bel Hed + rims as mine in mini and some big fluffy compass tyres. (though no heavy dynamo as on my bel+ 700s)
Average speed is down over the other 2 wheel set tests, but the bike does feel nimble to ride. They are phenomenal over grass/trail and would have been a good option for the ridiculous route I ended up on during the TCR.  ;D
I'm still on the fence about a carbon wheel build for next years ultra event (whatever that may be). Its a shame you can't test drive a set. Its such an expense/risk if it turns out to be a disappointing selection.
One other concern is the fact that my frame is ti and I do tend to mash, so perhaps the stiffness of deep carbon rims would be negated.
Any thoughts?
often lost.

« Reply #66 on: 21 November, 2017, 10:58:39 pm »
I'd say don't overthink it, get the kit you want, that will make you happy, and it'll most likely be fine!

Things like frame stiffness are not so relevant for long distance. If you putting out 600W on a sprint it *might* make a little bit of difference.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #67 on: 22 November, 2017, 12:23:13 pm »

you might want to speak to cap235 about his experience of enve wheels on tcr, before ordering :)

« Reply #68 on: 23 November, 2017, 03:17:46 pm »

you might want to speak to cap235 about his experience of enve wheels on tcr, before ordering :)

Had a chat with him thanks. He was using the wheels I race on locally. Nice but a bit delicate for a long bike pack type race. I'd build up the beefier rims mentioned above with DT competition spokes or similar.
often lost.

« Reply #69 on: 23 December, 2017, 08:31:39 pm »
Seasons greetings everyone.
I have a set of carbon wheels on order. (Regular, non dynamo hub) as mentioned in the thread.
Reading up on Son, I now see that they don't have a dynamo compatible with my 15mm thru axle and 24 spoke count.
Aside from swapping out my fork for a 12mm thru, is there a fudge that can be done if I do want to install a dynamo at a later stage, or maybe another dynamo manufacturer?
I've gone ahead and ordered the wheels anyway as they can be used for non dynamo events. (I'd like to have a go at a 12 hour TT at some stage) and in the meantime it will keep the wear and tear of my current dynamo set up.

often lost.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #70 on: 23 December, 2017, 09:08:16 pm »
I have built up a few sets of 24 spoke rims on 36 hole hubs. Some adjustment of spoke length is required but it isn't difficult.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #71 on: 23 December, 2017, 09:17:04 pm »
Shutter Precision do 24 spoke hubs.

« Reply #72 on: 24 December, 2017, 08:52:59 pm »
Thanks to both of you for the feedback.
often lost.