Author Topic: Laptop internet connection keeps dropping...  (Read 3815 times)

Re: Laptop internet connection keeps dropping...
« Reply #25 on: 03 December, 2017, 10:43:05 pm »
Thanks.

On ethernet connection I haven't been able to get the browser to jam up and start failing to load.  Only seems to happen on WIFI eventually.  Below par WIFI bit to network adapter?

edit. definitely seems to be wifi issue.

If browser can't load e.g.  iplayer 'site can't be reached', and hitting reload button does nothing.  Plugging in ethernet cable, site loads straight away.

I've tried the latest driver from Dell website - doesn't help.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #26 on: 04 December, 2017, 07:20:40 am »
Lost internet access on W10

Also just recalled I had huge difficulty in keeping a connection starting late November 2016 up to just after Xmas.  Made numerous calls to TalkTalk as it was obviously not my computer at fault and had the engineer round checking it all out.

The conclusion was excessive traffic was shutting out my access due to the ISP's methodology. 

Coincidental that these problems happen when the big online shopping spree is ongoing?
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #27 on: 04 December, 2017, 08:11:56 am »
Thanks.  I think the other fully functional w10 Dell in the house -  has helped isolate the issue to the new laptop.  New laptop seems up to date with W10 downloads, and has been restarted multiple times.

Edit. Thanks all. I decided to send laptop back to Dell in the end.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Afasoas

« Reply #28 on: 04 December, 2017, 12:52:48 pm »
Open a command prompt (<win> + <r>, type "cmd", <enter>)
Type "ipconfig /all" and hit <enter>
If necessary, scroll up to the beginning of the output
Right click inside the command prompt window to open the context menu, click mark
You can now highlight the output from the ipconfig command just like you would text on a webpage
When you are happy with the selection hit <enter> - this copies it to the clipboard
Either paste into a reply here or direct message to myself.

Also, when you experience the problem trying to browse a webpage, e.g. "https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=106004.0;last_msg=2233091" you can try an nslookup in a command prompt window.
Type "nslookup yacf.co.uk"

The output should look something like*:

Code: [Select]
c:\> nslookup yacf.com
Server: 172.16.1.51
Address: 172.16.1.51#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: yacf.com
Address: 69.89.31.180

*Might be slightly different as I've done this on linux and mutated the output to make it look something akin to what you'd get under Windows.

It's going to take a few posts backwards and forwards to try and isolate the problem and determine what exactly is going on. If you are able to bear with me, we should be able to get this resolved.

Afasoas

« Reply #29 on: 04 December, 2017, 12:57:26 pm »
The other option is investigating this further via TeamViewer which would allow me to run a packet capture and then inspect that to try and diagnose the issue. I probably don't have enough free time to do it until next week and it's rather a risk letting someone you don't know remotely access your computer. The offer is there.

I realise you are probably very frustrated with this problem - I strongly suspect it's not problem with the Dell Laptop (hardware) as you've not seen any ping's dropped and I'm utterly confident this can be resolved - trouble shooting like this might just take a bit of time and patience.

« Reply #30 on: 05 December, 2017, 07:24:24 am »
Googled.

Could it be DNS server issue?   How do I check this?

Hum.  but why only one laptop  with problem, not the other  ???

edit.  also now tried clearing browser caches.

When we had the ISP issue it was sometimes possible for one device to be working whilst another wasn't.  We tried it with mobile phones, tablets and 2 laptops.  It was bizarre.

I spent much time on the phone to the ISP and was convinced they ought to change the router but they never did.  There was something they told me about the way my access was configured at their end but unfortunately I can't recall what it was.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #31 on: 06 December, 2017, 05:03:12 pm »
Been following this with interest as I was having the same problem.

Opened command prompt as administrator and entered:

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

followed by a reboot. Haven't had a dropped connection for 24 hrs. Previously it was dropping sporadically several times a day.

Solution pinched from https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=100654.0
Hear all, see all, say nowt