Author Topic: Activities you hated as a child  (Read 13926 times)

ian

Re: Activities you hated as a child
« Reply #25 on: 05 December, 2017, 01:55:26 pm »
I'm mostly glad I didn't do the activities either. There were those parents who had their kids running through a constant set of activities, every evening there'd be something. Every lunch time some club. That said, it would have been nice had my parents shown any interest in my schooling or development (which I'm still waiting for). Oh, I know, tiny violin. Not that I did music either. I quite fancied the xylophone but someone had nicked several of the keys.

« Reply #26 on: 05 December, 2017, 02:18:43 pm »
 Latin.  What was the point?  It killed the ancient Romans, that's for sure.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #27 on: 05 December, 2017, 02:30:40 pm »
Another sports hater here. Did try rowing, our school, based at the Angel Islington, used the North Thames Gas Board's facilities next to Kew Bridge (long since replaced by blocks of flats) which wasn't too bad, but a friend and I managed to end up running the refreshment facilities.

In the end the school realised it couldn't cope with the numbers, and said we could do any activity we liked as long as they approved, so a group of us opted for cycling and meandered around north London on Wednesday afternoons.

On reflection, I guess those activities prepared me for Audaxing, so maybe my physical education wasn't a total disaster.

« Reply #28 on: 05 December, 2017, 04:04:42 pm »
School PE, hated Tennis & rounders think this had something to do with being left handed, also hated athletics, can't run, jump or throw, probably due to being short & fat to be anything but uncoordinated. Trampolining, whose silly idea was it to make people up & down on a piece of springy fabric. Netball to many silly rules & you can't move there because you are playing a certain position.

I didn't mind badminton we had a nice warm sports hall & enjoyed hockey we did have a nice pe teacher, if it was cold enough for her to wear trackie bottoms we were allowed to wear them, but we still had to run around in lovely airtex blouses whilst she had a thick jumper on.

Chris S

« Reply #29 on: 05 December, 2017, 04:10:49 pm »
Being stuck in the car with my car-sick sister.

School medicals - standing in a queue, in just your pants, in the freezing cold.

Cubs/Scouts.

Birthday parties.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 05 December, 2017, 04:17:32 pm »
Being stuck in the car with my car-sick sister.

You know what's worse than that?  G'wan, guess?

(I was the car-sick sister.  Though probably not Chris S's.  I'd have remembered.)

I accept there's little to be done about the inherently car-sickness inducing properties of the back seat of a car when you're a small child, but my parents did insist on exacerbating things by subjecting me to  a) endless cigarette smoke   and  b) The Archers

I still get flashbacks whenever I have to drink out of a re-usable plastic 'glass' (some were kept under the passenger seat along with a bottle of squash to wash away the taste, as well as a large ice cream tub to barf into).   :sick:

rr

« Reply #31 on: 05 December, 2017, 04:28:55 pm »
As I was taken aback to see in a Manchester shop window in the 80s: if you've got a stiffy wear a jiffy, and real men come in a jiffy.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #32 on: 05 December, 2017, 04:36:58 pm »
Christmas from about the age 10 upwards. We moved from West of the Pennines to East of the Pennines around about my 9th birthday, but EVERY Christmas we had to go back to my Grandmothers from 2 days before Christmas to some undetermined date after. We wend out for Dinner on Christmas morning1 with some of my mothers relatives and had a big family party of all my mothers relatives on Christmas night. All I wanted to do in the early years was play with my new toys, on Christmas day then go and paly out with my friends on boxing day. Christmas day was unmitigated drudgery from getting ready to go for lunch by 11am then back to the house ot get ready for the party with all sorts of chores for me and my sister and then onto waiting on great Aunts and mothers cousins. I wasn't even allowed to sit in front of the TV as that's where the Great Uncles gathered, no I had to play charades or some other dreadful embarrassment of a parlour game.

I still hate Christmas today, even though I've had some joyous times with the children over the years. It's just all too much for a deaf, socially awkward introvert. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 05 December, 2017, 04:45:00 pm »
I used to enjoy charades and similar Christmas and family get-together games. Apart from Pit (a shouty card trading game) cos it was shouty. And I was no good at it!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #34 on: 05 December, 2017, 04:46:39 pm »
We never even had 'interesting' sports. Rugby, football, or occasionally cricket. The latter involved getting padded up and having someone bigger try to avoid all that bad-fitting padding and hit you in the head with a ball that approximated a rock of a similar size. Rugby has been mentioned. Football was the most anodyne, we were the inevitable unpicked team with zero interest in kicking a ball and thus elicited a similar level of interest from the teacher. So provided we were in 50 metres of an actual football, we'd be left alone.

I didn't hate school, I just remember it being mostly shit. Apart from a few notable exceptions, I didn't leave with fond memories of the teachers who most aspired to indifference. Of course, as a small kid with pikey parents, I had to learn to bite peoples' faces off early and generally be mad enough for the bullies not to risk it (which just means all the bullying is psychological). I did get in a lot of trouble for glassing some kid (which was an accident as I meant to smash the milk bottle over his head). Oh and I broke someone's arm. Neither of which would have happened if they'd not tried to beat the crap out of me (or the teachers had given a shit about that kind of thing). I think bullying was viewed as a character-building activity back then.

Other activities I hated as a child. Going to the loo, because the toilet was at the bottom of the neighbour's garden and they had a bitey free-ranging dog. Borrowing fifty pence pieces for the meter or TV, again involved running a gamut of wild dogs.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 05 December, 2017, 04:47:12 pm »
I used to enjoy charades and similar Christmas and family get-together games. Apart from Pit (a shouty card trading game) cos it was shouty. And I was no good at it!

Top tip: Basic sign language skills disqualify you from charades permanently.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #36 on: 05 December, 2017, 04:53:17 pm »

Top tip: Basic sign language skills disqualify you from charades permanently.
Ha! That reminds me of a proper card game (bridge or something like that, I can't remember what) on a South Sea Island with a Norwegian bloke, his Swedish girlfriend, and another Angol guy (yeah mixing with the natives obvs). I was paired with the Swedish girl and she taught me some fairly basic cheating method of sending signals to each other which nevertheless her boyfriend didn't know about and didn't get. Of course being pissed up didn't help him. So yeah. Shame we weren't paying for money really. Perhaps... (or perhaps we were? !!!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #37 on: 05 December, 2017, 05:14:57 pm »
Sundays. Not an activity, but several rolled into one lugubrious horror. Here's part of a piece I once wrote about growing up in N. Ireland in the 50s:

Everything in the land was bilghted by religion and respectability, but mostly by religion. The leaden hand of the Lord's Day Observance Society was on everything: on Sundays the pubs, the shops, the restaurants and cinemas were closed, and if the public parks were open it was only because the gates had been taken to make tanks during the war. The kiddies' swings, though, in those same parks, were chained and padlocked to avoid sinful swinging.

It was only on suffrance, and after paying the tribute of an interminable morning in church and Sunday-school that we were allowed out to play on Sunday afternoon. To play quietly, that was - cowboy outfits, guns, bicycles, scooters and our Grand Prix races up and down the road were strictly forbidden. More likely would be the ceremony of the Sunday Afternoon Walk. You would shine your shoes, put on your tie and brush your jacket until you were sweaty and your arms were dropping, pass the muster of a microscopic inspection, during which the slightest speck of lint meant another five minutes with the brush, then hide the whole damned thing under a coat and set off with father, sister and an ill-trained dog to do four or five miles of cold tramping through the neighbouring country roads. The dog expressed my sentiments exactly: after dancing around in brainless joy at the prospect of a walk, every step of the outward trek he would drag backwards towards home until we turned, and then he would pull like a dray-horse all the way back.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 05 December, 2017, 05:24:42 pm »
Swimming. It can be fun, but it wasn’t. It was doing cruel widths and even crueller lengths.

From the games master with the stiffy watching the boys change, to the turd-in-the-pool lurking as a brown iceberg in the deep end.

FFS who goes logging in a swimming pool?

It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 05 December, 2017, 05:35:11 pm »

Small child who isn't very good at swimming, I assume.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #40 on: 05 December, 2017, 05:42:42 pm »

Small child who isn't very good at swimming, I assume.

Given it was in a school swimming lesson, no.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #41 on: 05 December, 2017, 05:46:52 pm »
I used to love swimming club. But things didn't end well. I got banned for a while after pushing Jonathon into the pool during a pep talk from the coach. I came back and got bronze in the Essex Schools Swimming Championships. Then the next year I pushed Jonathon in again. That was it. I was out....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #42 on: 05 December, 2017, 05:49:28 pm »
Yeah, swimming, another hated activity. We used to walk down from The Angel Islington to the Northampton Poly's swimming pool (now City University). The water was always very cold, and of course we were dismissed as lily-livered wimps by the sadistic PE master.

Ten years later in a job, my manager was an ex-Olympic swimmer who had attended the said Poly, and he agreed the water there was always very cold, so I felt vindicated!

ian

« Reply #43 on: 05 December, 2017, 05:53:19 pm »
I didn't mind swimming. I never understood the entire learn to swim in your PJs thing. I may have assumed swimming in my PJs would be an essential safety need once my parents won a boat on Bullseye.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 05 December, 2017, 05:55:32 pm »
I loved swimming.  Even with school.  And then I became a teenager.   :hand:

« Reply #45 on: 05 December, 2017, 06:12:51 pm »
Monitor Duty. The day you're picked to run pointless errands around school.

You'd first have to knock on the staff room door, then when it's opened by a bored teacher and you survived the insanely dense cigarette smoke, you had to run to another building to deliver a note to another teacher that was completely meaningless and unnecessary....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #46 on: 05 December, 2017, 06:31:30 pm »
School medicals - standing in a queue, in just your pants, in the freezing cold.

School dentist. Queuing for ages to have our mouths poked with pointy things which had been "disinfected" by being dipped in disgusting-tasting liquid between gobs.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #47 on: 05 December, 2017, 06:51:23 pm »
Cheer up you lot, wasn't all bad.  Small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts, marvellous, isn't it, hmmm?

« Reply #48 on: 05 December, 2017, 07:06:07 pm »
I didn't mind the sprot thing too much - so long as it didn't involve ball games - I was never any good at those.
At peak I was doing cross country running, likewise training for 1500m steeplechase, playing badminton (a fave), doing weights and a bit of Tae Kwon Do and finding the time to do some or all of those several times a week.
What I hated?
Going to church. Catholic jimcrack which I opted out of aged around 12 when I realised what a load jimcrack nonsense it was.
Apologies to those on here whom my last sentence may've offended.
Polak Saturday school up until I went to secondary school - I have never in my life been to Saturday morning cinema, unlike my mates.
Polak Friday night school ( even worse) - this geared you up for your polish O and A levels, just when most of my mates were discovering the joys of being served (illegally) in pubs.
Oh, and both of the above two had a fair bit of Cath thrown in for good measure.
Sorrel soup (we grew our own) cold, with a hard boiled egg thrown in. What were they thinking?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 05 December, 2017, 07:08:36 pm »

School dentist. Queuing for ages to have our mouths poked with pointy things which had been "disinfected" by being dipped in disgusting-tasting liquid between gobs.

I don't think we had either of those, at least not the pants bit.  They probably unmemorably weighed us at some point.

I do remember having my eyes tested in primary school.  They diagnosed my colourblindness, but that information never made it as far as either my teachers (who I was terrified of) or my parents (who simply didn't believe me).  Which makes me wonder what the point was.  I obviously wasn't colourblind enough to fail at colouring-in the way James M did, outright surrealism being a generic-poo-colour flag to primary school teachers in a way that drawing a suspicious amount of pictures of people/animals doing things on mud wasn't.

(While we're at it, let's add 'colouring-in' to the hated activities list.  Or, more precisely, illustrating your piece of written work as per the Done Thing in the early years of primary.  Colouring-in required pencil crayons, which were allocated on a first-come-first-served basis to those who finished their writing.  So I always got my pick of the crap (and often undiscriminatable) colours.)

I can't remember if they did hearing tests.  I was having my hearing tested regularly at hospital in those days, so it wouldn't have been as memorable.

I remember having a Heaf test at secondary school.  Itched like a bastard, that did.  Showing them my BGC vaccination entry and exit wounds (I was a wriggly git) wasn't enough to stop the fuckers.