Author Topic: Another light question  (Read 2092 times)

Roy

Another light question
« on: 09 December, 2017, 04:43:47 pm »
What is the general opinion of the use of a 'daylight ' rear light of the type used by the time trialling fraternity, e.g. a Scorpian or similar, for pottering round the lanes or utility cycling. I can understand the idea when riding on a wet dual carriage way but should we all have one?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Another light question
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2017, 04:50:20 pm »
Personal choice, but I generally use one for most rides

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2017, 04:57:18 pm »
I tend to have something capable of obnoxious flashing (though not quite of the level of what the TTists use) on the bike (usually as a backup to static dynamo lighting), and will certainly use it in daylight if the weather takes a turn for the worse, but I don't use one in daylight as a matter of course.

The way I see it, visibility from behind is rarely a problem (and when it is, it's usually because the driver of the car tailgating the one behind you can't see you through a solid vehicle, and no amount of lighting will help with that).

« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2017, 05:15:56 pm »
^^- This.
Of they just don't look and register you're there and having a light on isn't going to make much difference.

« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2017, 08:09:12 pm »
I would love an uber obnoxious rear light which I could solidly attach to a rack, or possibly seatpost which I could activate using a wired remote (so I don’t have to stop and wired because radio controlled would be one more thing to go wrong) for those times that an Audax drops temporarily into a busy main road/ dual carriageway, or into a fog bank.

Alas such a thing does not exist. The closest I’ve found is a red led hunting torch for strapping to a gun, but I’m never sure how the remote works (mostly they are only on whilst you’re pressing them) and they don’t have a suitable flashing mode.

John

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2017, 09:04:30 pm »

I have a SMART 1/2 W red led light that attaches to a small loop on the back of my backpack. I normally run it in the constant mode, but occasionally if I fumble reaching round to hit the button it goes into obnoxious flashing mode.

I was cycling home from work with a colleague when I felt something on my bag, It was quite a packed gaggle of bikes so I wasn't sure exactly what had happened. A few meters later another work colleague handed me the now turned off light. She hadn't appreciated the obnoxious flashing mode and decided to fix it...

I think Obnoxiously flashing rear bike lights can have a place, but they need to be used carefully, and in hindsight, rush hour in Amsterdam is where they really shouldn't be obnoxiously flashing...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2017, 09:11:25 pm »
That’s exactly why I want a remote switch, they should never be used in company. Unless you’re tail end Charlie.

John

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2017, 09:45:07 pm »
Apparently you can get a remote switch for the Moon Nebula. But I can't actually find it for sale anywhere.

« Reply #8 on: 09 December, 2017, 10:17:54 pm »
Ooooh, this maybe the answer!! Although it does say USB remote control, so I’m not sure how waterproof it will be. And this is mainly for bad weather....

I’m gonna have a hunt around.

John

ETA: http://www.highonbikes.com/moon-usb-remote-switch-cable-laa694.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI15_U9Pz91wIVrp3tCh1efA39EAQYASABEgLsXfD_BwE

First one I found....

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 09 December, 2017, 11:53:13 pm »
Ooooh, this maybe the answer!! Although it does say USB remote control, so I’m not sure how waterproof it will be. And this is mainly for bad weather....

I’m gonna have a hunt around.

John

ETA: http://www.highonbikes.com/moon-usb-remote-switch-cable-laa694.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI15_U9Pz91wIVrp3tCh1efA39EAQYASABEgLsXfD_BwE

First one I found....
That may be the version for a front light, ie a shorter cable. It doesn't specify how long the cable is.
Yes, I'd be concerned about waterproofing, and wearing out/bending the USB plug. Some sort of wireless switch may be more reliable.

« Reply #10 on: 10 December, 2017, 12:31:39 am »
I've got a couple of cheap PlanetX lights (Phaart Bleeps) attached to rack eyes, or to p-clips at the top of my seat stays.

Easy to reach from the saddle, button is fairly positive, and while they're not retina-burners they're bright enough to be noticeable in daylight.

dim

« Reply #11 on: 10 December, 2017, 05:17:54 am »
I use the Garmin Varia Radar unit aswell as a Cycliq Fly 6 .... not sure how effective they are in the daytime though
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #12 on: 10 December, 2017, 07:50:16 am »
I've got a couple of cheap PlanetX lights (Phaart Bleeps) attached to rack eyes, or to p-clips at the top of my seat stays.

Easy to reach from the saddle, button is fairly positive, and while they're not retina-burners they're bright enough to be noticeable in daylight.

I had exactly that set up, which was ok until I put my rack back on.

John

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:04:25 am »
You could have a group-friendly taillight on the rack and a retina-ripper on the seatpost where you can easily reach it. Why use a remote control? Having multiple rear lights is a good thing when riding solo.

Personally, I don't use daylight running lights except in quite poor conditions.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14 on: 10 December, 2017, 08:49:47 am »
I need a remote because my carradice completely obscures my seatpost and the rack gets in the way of the seat stays.

Personally I want something I can switch on and off without stopping and getting off the bike for those short stretches of busy road or fog banks etc.

I’ve got a secula wired into the front dynamo, so I can put a rear light on without stopping, but whilst it’s great for normal use it is a little lacking for bad weather during daylight hours.

John

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 10 December, 2017, 09:04:14 am »
If you have a rack, you can use panniers. If you use a Carradice, why do you need a rack? I use various Carradices (Carradici?), a mudguard taillight and something noticeably brighter on one or two seat stays.

« Reply #16 on: 10 December, 2017, 09:18:09 am »
I used a bagman on LEL, which is when I had the brighter lights on the stays, but I wasn’t keen on the angle of the dangle.
Even with an expedition bagman and a Pendle bag it was resting too high to strap a jacket to the top. I’ve tried bending the bagman but can’t get it satisfactory. When using a rack the angle is just right, plus you get a little more overflow space at the back and minimal weight penalty.
Panniers would be overkill, this is just for Audax.
The only disadvantage is not being able to have a fog light which I can switch on and off on the move, not a massive issue, but it would be nice if I could sort it.

John

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 10 December, 2017, 09:40:47 am »
I use the SQR for my Carradices, which have Corflute frames inside to stop them flapping about. HK uses QR Bagmans which put the top of the saddlebags (also stiffened) lower than the saddle loops.

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-035/000.html (scroll down) shows several mini racks/ saddlebag supports that don't have legs that would block seat stay mounted lights. There are various possibilities shown at https://www.velovitality.co.uk/collections/pannier-racks?page=2

HK used a front mini-rack on the back of her stolen Roberts to keep her Carradice off the mudguard. The top bracket mounts to the dual-pivot brake. It even has multiple brackets to mount tail lights that she can reach from the saddle. https://www.velovitality.co.uk/collections/pannier-racks/products/velo-orange-randonneur-front-rack

« Reply #18 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:00:44 am »
Hmmmm, something to look at.

I used the QR bagman (and still use the attachment bit) but I think that makes it worse, as the distance between the attachment and the support is less, so the bag is angled back more pushing the rolled up jacket strapped to the lid into my arse (if that makes sense!)

I had considered front racks on the back, interesting that it has been done...

I shall have a ponder today, seeing as I can’t go anywhere due to the snowpocalypse!

John

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:11:20 am »
For future reference, the Carradice CarraDry has an adjustable position lid that lets you change where the rain jacket loops are positioned. https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags/carradry-saddlebag

The Barley has multiple positions where your rain jacket can be mounted. The stern position might be better at keeping it clear of your bum when it is on a Bagman. https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags/originals-barley-saddlebag

« Reply #20 on: 10 December, 2017, 11:07:41 am »
I think frame and arse size (or at any rate arse position) come into play here.

My Pendle lives on a Classic Saddlebag Rack, which I like very much, and find the dangle angle doesn't interfere with me at all, even with a jacket or a drybag strapped to the top of the bag, but I know that rack didn't suit LWaB at all. (On a Brooks Swift, I find it tilts back a good bit more than the pictures show.)