Author Topic: Incontinence  (Read 2874 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Incontinence
« on: 02 February, 2018, 08:05:30 pm »
I know I am getting if a certain age but this is getting to be an issue.  I have a doctors visit but it’s not till 19th of March.

I am going to cut out caffeine to see if it makes a difference- but could it also be related to the type of saddle?

Re: Incontinence
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2018, 08:21:28 pm »
Are you a gentleman of a certain age?

Any problems with going as it were ?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2018, 12:34:55 am »
IMO You're not an age where such things are commonplace and even in advanced old age (>85) incontinence can be addressed and remedied.

I assume (though you have stated) you mean urinary incontinence.
In the first instance, I would check for diabetes, infection and kidney malfunction; a simple dipstick test will give valuable information but not necessarily all that's needed.

Are you producing a greater volume of urine?
Are you needing to go more often by day or by night?
Does it hurt when you pee?
Does urine smell wrong?
What's the urine stream like? Must you strain to get it all out? Do you feel there's some left behind?

When do you leak? Have you waited too long? Do some cues set you off too quickly? (Latchkey incontinence is A Thing; the sound of running water makes many folk run etc)

So many questions and this isn't the lot!

19 March is a long way off; I presume this problem has been creeping up slowly; if it's only just started, I'd press for more urgent attention.

In the mean time, try to plan your toilet trips and avoid trying to hold too long.
Make a note of when you leak and how often.
Think of any other health issues you may have, in case these have a bearing.

« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2018, 03:48:46 pm »
Constantly, *constantly* needing to wee (and then having difficultly) was the first symptom I had of kidney stones.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

velosam

« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2018, 04:54:55 pm »
I will get it checked out, it’s incredibly irritating

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2018, 06:29:09 pm »
Urine testing dipsticks are as cheap as chips on ebay; I bought 200 for £4 for my Ancient Parents (Dad is 87 and gets infections quite often.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2018, 07:32:42 pm »
Urine testing dipsticks are as cheap as chips on ebay; I bought 200 for £4 for my Ancient Parents (Dad is 87 and gets infections quite often.)

Shelf life isn't fantastic though, so bigger packs may be a false economy.  If they manage to stay dry, the ink on the comparison chart eventually deteriorates so you can't read them properly.  Which isn't too critical if you're mostly interested in whether the protein and blood values are non-zero.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2018, 08:42:35 pm »
True but 4 quid including postage isn't a great deal.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2018, 09:00:06 pm »
True but 4 quid including postage isn't a great deal.

Yeah.  They were a lot more expensive last time I needed to buy some.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 03 February, 2018, 09:04:44 pm »
Looks like I misremembered the price, sorry!
They do cost more.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 03 February, 2018, 09:41:03 pm »
Constantly, *constantly* needing to wee (and then having difficultly) was the first symptom I had of kidney stones.

If also drinking loads, and eating loads, symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes.  In my case about 6l of fluids a day, going literally straight through and eating like a horse.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 04 February, 2018, 12:08:22 am »
I haven't had incontinence but a I do need to pee more than I used to.

Sometimes it's slow.

I had a kidney stone last year. First symptoms in June, an operation in late Sept/early Oct to remove it from my bladder. I didn't feel a thing as it passed down my ureter in the intervening period.

Tests indicated that I did not have cancer.

Consultant has invited me to attend a "pressure & flow" clinic later this month. He says there is something wrong. "When the camera gets past your prostate the big open cavern of your bladder should be visible. In your case, your urethra passes through an abnormal wall of muscle first." I understand that he thinks that at some stage I will need an operation to deal with this. I think my appointment on 19th will go some way towards establishing the necessity and urgency of this. As it is, I feel perfectly OK coping, so long as there is no change.

I think it is always worth getting these things checked. We have an NHS. Make the most of it. There are people who want to take it from us.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 04 February, 2018, 01:05:12 pm »
Helly Medic's  assessment   framework is excellent

Go see your GP asap. 19th March is too far away.

velosam

« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2018, 04:31:24 pm »
In case anyone is still following this.

I have a series of blood tests and x-rays to go through. No prostrate issues (thankfully).

Also a hint from the doctor, after doing a wee, its helps to raise everything up and forward to get the last bit of pee out of the ureather (spelt wrong, apologies)