Author Topic: Earthquake !  (Read 3175 times)

Earthquake !
« on: 17 February, 2018, 02:42:57 pm »
Sitting listening to music & my 4th floor flat trembled a bit.  Reports from all over the country

Anyone else feel it ?

https://twitter.com/LastQuake/status/964872997252329474

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Earthquake !
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2018, 03:38:21 pm »
Not a quiver in York. The epicentre appears to be the DVLA.
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2018, 03:40:40 pm »
My eldest daughter just asked me if there had been one here - I didn't feel it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2018, 03:44:51 pm »
Sitting listening to music & my 4th floor flat trembled a bit.  Reports from all over the country

Anyone else feel it ?

https://twitter.com/LastQuake/status/964872997252329474

Have you been cranking up the bass line?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2018, 03:49:56 pm »
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2018, 04:25:29 pm »
At that time we would have just got into the car in Aberaeron to drive back, so felt nothing.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #6 on: 17 February, 2018, 04:44:28 pm »
Not a quiver in York. The epicentre appears to be the DVLA.

That's because I was a bit miffed they haven't sorted out my licence yet and the letter I received this morning said  I'll have to wait another 2 months.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 17 February, 2018, 04:50:04 pm »
Fucksake.  I was riding the trike at the time.  That thing's a non-stop earthquake.   :(

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #8 on: 17 February, 2018, 07:57:46 pm »
I'm in the Cheshire Basin, about 20 miles S of Chester and didn't feel it - but I was outside at the time doing a bit of gardening.  Bit disappointed as being a now retired professional geologist 'bagging' earthquakes has been a bit of a hobby.

I felt the Lleyn and Bishops Castle events in 84 and 86, one in St Vincent in 2005 (a 6.4 between St V and Martinique that rattled the windows and you could see the ground waves - a colleague and I exited our villa pretty sharpish once I realised what was happening), and a biggie in Crete in 2015.  Was in bed when that one hit and I told the wife off for jumping about whilst I was trying to read - and she said that she'd not moved, and then I knew what was going on!  We were in a high rise hotel so had to sit tight and hope for the best.  Aftershocks kept waking us all night.

So today's event got away.  Dammit.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 17 February, 2018, 08:33:52 pm »
You are in the thoughts and prayers of the people of FurryBootToon at this difficult momment.

« Reply #10 on: 17 February, 2018, 09:17:53 pm »
The BBC reported the epicentre as being somewhere near Cilybebyll Cwmllynfell , so a mile 6 miles or so from here (assuming they can be that accurate) and 4 miles down. Yes, we felt it. I turned round to see who had sneaked in and shaken my chair. Then a bit of rumbling for a few seconds which sounded as if it was coming from the room next door.

« Reply #11 on: 18 February, 2018, 10:46:06 am »
Ah San Andreas it is not ( I am glad to say).
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 18 February, 2018, 03:11:03 pm »
You are in the thoughts and prayers of the people of FurryBootToon at this difficult momment.

;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13 on: 18 February, 2018, 03:19:40 pm »

;D
It has taken a few moments of interweb research to discover something which has been puzzling me for a while.
And that thing is 'WTF is FurryBootToon' all about?  ;D :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14 on: 18 February, 2018, 04:00:12 pm »
My son reports that he felt another shock.  In the small hours of Sunday morning in Birmingham.
Anyone else?

Nothing on the interwebs.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 18 February, 2018, 05:55:40 pm »
My son reports that he felt another shock.  In the small hours of Sunday morning in Birmingham.
Anyone else?

I was mostly asleep.

ian

« Reply #16 on: 18 February, 2018, 05:56:14 pm »
No, I've only ever felt earthquakes in California and Japan (fortunately minor ones, but it's quite a peculiar sensation). We did miss a UK earthquake, but caught the aftermath (made somewhat weirder by the fact we didn't know there'd been a earthquake). We were coming to the end of a hike and emerged into Folkestone, and started to notice odd bits of masonry on the pavement, bits of chimney and walls. A fair amount of minor damage. It wasn't until we got to the offy for a couple of beers for the journey home we discovered there'd been an earthquake (2007 says the internet, blimey it doesn't seem that long ago).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 19 February, 2018, 09:49:44 am »
Despite being a lot closer than Andrew C, I didn't feel a thing. Several people here did though – and some of them said other people in the same house or even same room didn't feel it, so it seems some people are more sensitive than others.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 19 February, 2018, 10:26:53 am »
I didn't feel it as I was away ooop North.

I did feel one about 15 years ago, it was after midnight and the house shook slightly, with this really weird sensation of the walls looking all wobbly.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #19 on: 19 February, 2018, 10:32:29 am »
I felt it quite strongly whilst at my mother's in Wiltshire on Saturday, so much so I went outside to see if part of the roof had caved in or the chimney breast collapsed.  Everyone thought I was mad when I suggested an earth tremor so was glad to be vindicated when it appeared on the evening national news!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #20 on: 19 February, 2018, 01:18:11 pm »
I've only felt/heard one earthquake - it wasn't dramatic at all - very very low rumble bass sound, then glasses jingling on the shelves. Lasted less than 2 minutes. I was alone in the house at the time, I think I was about 13.

After effects were rather serious though; about one third of my parent's house started to part company with the rest. Insurance refused to pay up, due to the non-standard construction (home-cast blocks by the original settlers) and no proof of decent foundations. Dad solved it with railway tracks angled sleepers against the walls, to secondary concrete foundations.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #21 on: 19 February, 2018, 02:04:43 pm »

;D
It has taken a few moments of interweb research to discover something which has been puzzling me for a while.

Once you've cracked that one, work on the stage name of the lead singer of the Rezillos.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #22 on: 19 February, 2018, 03:49:08 pm »

;D

Once you've cracked that one, work on the stage name of the lead singer of the Rezillos.

The guy who's into Indian motorcycles...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #23 on: 19 February, 2018, 04:30:02 pm »
Heard a bang followed by 10 seconds of plate rattling from the kitchen cupboards.
216km from Marsh Gibbon