Author Topic: The Woodman and The Woodman's Daughter 100/50km, Saturday 14th April 2018  (Read 9817 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
The Woodman's Daughter 50km: starts 09:00 from St Mary's Centre, Churchend, Dunmow CM6 2AE. With any luck the bluebells will be out in the Forest.

Light refreshments at the start, cream tea at the finish, included in the fee. Route options of: on-road [bonus kms] or off-road [ok with care on a road bike, if dry], out via Hatfield Forest to Sawbridgeworth Maltings [choice of several cafes, from greasy spoon to the rather lovely 'Shed', by The Moorings on the Stort Navigation]. 8.3kph minimum speed so very much beginner/leisure rider friendly - you've got [almost] all day!

The Woodman 100km: ECE friendly 10:00 start, refreshments as above. Via Sawbridgeworth, Ingatestone to Danbury and Witham - good choice of cafes and pubs en-route. A great little tour of Mid-Essex: Hatfield Forest, Galleywood and Danbury Commons and many other arboreal delights.

Both have a £9 entry fee, route sheet is on AUKweb, gps tracks coming soon...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
hmm, 50km is tempting as a first one on the new bike, but 0900 might mean an early start.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
Planning to ECE the Woodman up to 200k all going well  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
Helpers' Ride for 'The Woodman' on Saturday 7th April, starting at 10:00.

I'm planning an ECE, so will aim to be back in Dunmow for around 09:00 for a second breakfast: my preferred venue would be the Angel and Harp - they open for brekky at 9  :thumbsup:  Unlimited toast and drink refills, check out the menu here: http://www.angelandharp.co.uk/downloads/breakfast-menu.pdf

If you're helping on the 14th then it's on me!

At some point near the 14th I'd also like to ride the 50km route to check the state of the off-roady bits, on a road bike...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
I'm thinking* of ECEing The Woodman 100 for my April RRTY — the thought of a cream tea two thirds of the way around an audax is swinging it for me  :thumbsup: ;)

If anyone wants them, alternative GPS files of various flavours here — http://www.camaudax.uk/tom/woodmans-2018/.

* That is, I'm working up the courage to ask for a pass out, you know how it goes  ;D
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
^ Thanks wilkyboy. I can now get them advertised onto the Dunmow Velo website - they've just changed their system so you can't publicise/organise a ride without uploading a gps track  ::-)

Like you can't go for a ride without a line to follow, and then putting your performance or lack of it on Strava too of course.

And we're a bit thin on entries for the Woodman's Daughter, so we must persuade the non-audaxers of our acquaintance that 50km in 6 hours is a good idea: as is the lovely cafe stop at 25km and the cream tea at the finish!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Rode some of the Woodmans route today, the bridleway between Mill Lane and Kings Street (plus some other gravel) and it was very nice! :)

I also rode some of the Hatfield forrest parts at the weekend

Should be a great event :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1473061461/overview
Regards,

Joergen

ElyDave

Is the woodman all onroad? I don't fancy offroad on an front wheel drive recumbent

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Is the woodman all onroad? I don't fancy offroad on an front wheel drive recumbent

There's 2km of off-road track, as in JJ's photos — easily avoided, just continue to R @ T then R @ T then 1st R and you'll rejoin the route in a further 1km.  The rest is on-road.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
Dave - its an old concrete path which back in the heady days of 1981 was classified as suitable for disabled use.  I'd say you probably could still get a wheelchair along there if you had a good enough pusher - but I'm no expert. 

Just after entrance.

Further along:

That said, it was mostly clear and very well drained.  The only section which was a bit muddy was where the farmer has built up a pile of fertilizer and been driving on the track.

It was a really nice route and much nicer than the 0.5km along the A414.

Regards,

Joergen

essexian

Hi

May I check how firm the "mudguards required" rule is.... only one of my bikes have them and frankly, I don't fancy doing a 100km plus ride on a folder.  ;D :o

Cheers

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
Just to help with concerns about the off road sections, here's the provisional routes from Tom's original route sheet I knocked up a few months ago, marked with the off road sectors

Woodman 100km: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26803869
Woodman's Daughter 50km: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26806790
Regards,

Joergen

ElyDave

Hi

May I check how firm the "mudguards required" rule is.... only one of my bikes have them and frankly, I don't fancy doing a 100km plus ride on a folder.  ;D :o

Cheers

Looking at those photos, can I go ahead of you down that section?  :P

ElyDave

Just to help with concerns about the off road sections, here's the provisional routes from Tom's original route sheet I knocked up a few months ago, marked with the off road sectors

Looks like a couple of route arounds possible if you want to avoid it.  Either up and around, or down through Stondon Massey.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2

Looks like a couple of route arounds possible if you want to avoid it.  Either up and around, or down through Stondon Massey.

Note there is an on-road suggestion on the route sheets iirc
Regards,

Joergen

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
... and frankly, I don't fancy doing a 100km plus ride on a folder.  ;D :o

It has been done before, a bit further than 100km too.  I'm just saying  :P

ElyDave

I rode most of the Kelvedon Oyster with a chappie on a folder. 

I've entered the full Woodman (that sounds wrong).  First long ride on a new recumbent with interesting handling and some COR, what could possibly go wrong?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
Hi

Cheers

It's for your own good... ;)

essexian

Hi

Cheers

It's for your own good... ;)

I am sure it is for my own good, but the idea of cycling more than a few miles on a folder does not appeal. Indeed, the longest ride I have even done on "Flo"..... I am sure I am not the only one to name their bikes...., is from Upminster to Brentwood Travelodge.... that nearly killed me!

I think what I'll do is sign up for it: it will be nice cycling in an area I haven't cycle in for 35 years but DNS if it rains: the idea of driving a 304 mile round trip to be turned away for not having mud guards does not appeal.

Cheers

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
I think what I'll do is sign up for it: it will be nice cycling in an area I haven't cycle in for 35 years but DNS if it rains: the idea of driving a 304 mile round trip to be turned away for not having mud guards does not appeal.

Why not get a £5 Ass Saver from your LBS and stick to the back of the group if it's raining?  That should sort you.

I've signed up, trying to restart my season after a few DNSs in March :-[

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
.gpx files are now on AUKweb, thank you jiberjaber  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've also extended the entry deadline right up to the event, for those watching the weather forecasts...it's been a bit of a 'thing' these last few weeks.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
After last weekend's 'Broken Arrow', I feel the need for an easy ride this weekend, so I'm not ece-ing the Helpers' Ride  :o

Nevertherless, I'll be at the Angel and Harp around 09:00 this Saturday for breakfast, before a gentlemanly ride checking the Woodman 100km route. Lunch at Ingatestone, back to the A & H for a pint at the finish?

Phil W

Must get my ECE organised for this. Given my recent beating up by a level crossing (on Easter Arrow) I may want to reroute my usual ECE route to Gt Dunmow. It has two fords, two cattle grids, and a level crossing to negotiate. Currently I do not feel lucky...

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
Been given the thumbs up by the boss, so will be there for my first event...! :thumbsup:
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.