Author Topic: Bikejoring - anyone heard of it?  (Read 1424 times)

Bikejoring - anyone heard of it?
« on: 19 March, 2018, 03:16:55 pm »
Just curious to find out if anyone has tried this. Cycling with their dogs.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bikejoring - anyone heard of it?
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2018, 03:18:59 pm »
I think I saw it on Blue Peter once.

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2018, 03:37:41 pm »
Yeah, I've heard of it. It's a bit more than cycling with your dog though, more like mushing with a bike, it probably would have suited the last dog we had but I was always concerned about ending up with the 'reins' in the front wheel, particularly downhill.

My solution to cycling with the dog is a spring loaded tube thing called a Walky Dog, I wouldn't recommend fitting to a really decent bike though and definitely not anything carbon, it will mark/score your frame / seatpost.  The latest hound is a bit dim but can just about cope with the Walky dog.

I don't know where you're based but there's competitive bikejoring on Cannock Chase and a number of events in Scotland.

https://canisportsscotland.wordpress.com/upcoming-events/

« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2018, 04:05:24 pm »
We're looking at the springy device off the seatpost when our puppy gets a bit older. A border terrier which should be light enough for dog carriers but being bred to run with hounds should cope with running alongside us. We're not a fast cycling family. 8mph seems to be our touring speed. I think our dog should manage that for short spells.

I doubt very much we'd be into competitive bikejoring even if we had the dog for it. Would be interesting to see. There must be a scene going on in Cumbria if this local pet store guy does it.

« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2018, 04:12:58 pm »
Sounds like the walky dog would suit, my advice would be to fit it to the seatpost, at least you can sacrifice that if your dog proves as 'enthusiastic' as our last one was, lengthen the para-cord lead part if required. We've had our walky dog for over 10 years now, the last dog loved it, it got to the point I couldn't get the mountain bike out without him going nuts and he'd cheerfully run for 30 miles on it, he was a collie cross.

« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2018, 05:50:16 pm »
Ooh top tip....if you find it fouls your pedal stroke use a handlebar thing to offset it

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/ridecase---panocomputer-mount/209-barxtender-

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 19 March, 2018, 06:37:07 pm »
It could be more fun on a kickbike. Maybe easier to control.

« Reply #7 on: 19 March, 2018, 06:51:05 pm »
It could be more fun on a kickbike. Maybe easier to control.

Kick trike type things seem to be most popular for competition, can't post images at the minute but Google image search 'mushing trike' and you'll see what I mean

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2018, 07:18:23 pm »
Back in the '90s in Oz, there was a group of folk racing dogs towing scooters. Apparently it was a good activity for dog mushers who didn't have any snow around. Getting or buying a suitable machine was a bit tough. Search for dog scooters.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #9 on: 19 March, 2018, 10:21:50 pm »
There's a chap in our village of the damned, who does it with two giant huskies. He's got some kind of three wheeler kick scooter thing.