Author Topic: The great scrambled egg debate. Milk or Not?  (Read 3913 times)

The great scrambled egg debate. Milk or Not?
« on: 27 April, 2018, 11:25:08 am »
I've always melted the butter, added a splash of milk (no more volume than the melted butter), added the eggs and whipped.
St Delia says adding milk is a no-no.

I've tried her way, and a) it needs more attention to stop it catching on the bottom of the pan, even with the gentlest of heat and b) I don't like the taste as much.

What do other folks think?

Re: The great scrambled egg debate. Milk or Not?
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2018, 11:31:09 am »
I'm with you. a bit of milk is needed but only a splash. The quality of the eggs is the thing with scrambled eggs. As fresh as possible. When we kept our own hens we had fantastic scrambled eggs.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2018, 11:33:33 am »
Little splash of milk in with the eggs, or if you are feeling posh an even smaller amount of cream.

« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2018, 11:36:39 am »
Add milk when beating the eggs.  Makes the result lighter & fluffier.

Wouldn't bother listening to "experts" on these matters.  They all disagree with each other anyway.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2018, 11:42:54 am »
Just a big knob of butter here  :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2018, 11:45:20 am »
butter, seasoning, herbs if you like.

If I'm feeling really indulgent, maybe a splash of cream while cooking and a bit of smoked salmon

The secret for me is a low heat, and just set the eggs.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2018, 11:57:36 am »
I add the splash of milk to scrambled eggs, but never to omelette.

I love scrambled eggs, but am put off a bit by difficulty of the washing up.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #7 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:11:57 pm »
Splash of milk and no butter for me, then in the microwave to save the washing up  :o

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:13:20 pm »
Ely Dave has it. A non-stick pan and a plastic whisk help considerably but a low heat is the key.

Clarissa Dixon-Wright made scrambled eggs in an improvised bain marie by sitting a glass dish over a pan of boiling water. I tried it and the results were excellent but took nearly half an hour to cook. Life's too short for that!

Eggs in the pan, knob of butter, salt and black pepper, splash of milk or cream and whisk it all together on a very low light. Keep whisking until the eggs set then remove from the heat and allow them to finish cooking in the residual heat from the pan. That way you don't need a belt sander to clean the pan.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:27:59 pm »
Milk, butter & seasoning, here.

Delia needs to be controversial to sell books/TV...
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Ben T

« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:37:59 pm »
My brother puts cheese in it which my mum thinks is a travesty  ;D

Never even tried putting milk in it, or thought of it.

Ben T

« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:40:14 pm »
Ely Dave has it. A non-stick pan and a plastic whisk help considerably but a low heat is the key.

Clarissa Dixon-Wright made scrambled eggs in an improvised bain marie by sitting a glass dish over a pan of boiling water. I tried it and the results were excellent but took nearly half an hour to cook. Life's too short for that!

Eggs in the pan, knob of butter, salt and black pepper, splash of milk or cream and whisk it all together on a very low light. Keep whisking until the eggs set then remove from the heat and allow them to finish cooking in the residual heat from the pan. That way you don't need a belt sander to clean the pan.

or get a non stick pan

dim

« Reply #12 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:43:43 pm »
2 free range eggs, 2 tablespoons of milk, salt, fresh ground black pepper

whisk, add to a microwave bowl, microwave on high for 40 seconds, mix then cook for approx 30 seconds

serve on hot buttered toast, with a dab of Tomato Ketchup
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #13 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:50:53 pm »
Adding milk is something my mother did, maybe to stretch the eggs. For me it’s just butter and eggs. And a non-stick pan  :).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:52:42 pm »
Milk
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #15 on: 27 April, 2018, 12:56:45 pm »
I have been known to add a dollop of chilli sauce to the mix as well....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:00:55 pm »
Butter only. If I added milk to Mrs n's scrambles, divorce would ensue.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:04:39 pm »
(click to show/hide)

ian

« Reply #18 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:05:48 pm »
A splash of milk to loosen it up.

If you can't be bothered with indirect heat/bain marie, which takes nearly forever, try a (very) low heat and keep stirring until the egg curdles. Do not stop stirring. Once it's started to go, off with the heat. And keep stirring. Add some butter and a pinch of salt to serve.

The result is perfectly smooth and velvety scrambled eggs. Don't rush it, it should take several minutes. Longer is better (as Lady Sanderstead said to Boggins the footman). Too many attempts at scrambled eggs are just mangled (and overcooked) omelette.

Please no, not the microwave.

« Reply #19 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:09:04 pm »
The microwave works OK for scrambled eggs but to get good results its not any quicker than a pan. You have to give it 20 seconds take it out and stir and then do it in 10 second bursts stirring in between.
Only advantage is you can use a glass bowl which is easier to wash up. I prefer a pan but Mrs Pcolbeck prefers I use a bowl as she doesnt trust my washing up skills (we don't have non stick pans).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #20 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:11:10 pm »
Trust me, once you've cooked them low and slow in a pan there's no going back. That's how scrambled eggs are supposed to be. Anything else is just mutilated omelette.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:12:26 pm »
no microwaves please, ends up like cheap hotel rubbery scrambled eggs.

I nearly always order an omelette at breakfast when travelling, unless I can guarantee getting there just as the eggs have been scrambled
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #22 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:15:14 pm »
Milk added to the beaten eggs before going into the frying where the butter has melted, keep stirring but don't cook too much. All good  :)

Interesting, someone mentioned a Bain Marie to me yesterday and I had no idea what they were talking about, I'd really never heard of them and now I'm seeing them referenced today as well so at least I know what you're on about (sounds a tremendous faff).

« Reply #23 on: 27 April, 2018, 07:08:09 pm »
ISTR that Gordon the Sweary just uses eggs and butter, but adds salt and a dollop of creme fraiche at the end, which stops them from overcooking.

Microwaves are the best way to make lemon curd or custard, so I don't see why you couldn't do scrambled eggs like that, though as pcolbeck says it's not that much less faff than doing it low and slow the trad way.

(Edit: usually without milk, mainly because I can't be arsed beating the eggs and just crack them into the pan and stir; a splash of milk if I am beating them.)

ian

« Reply #24 on: 27 April, 2018, 07:59:35 pm »
It's the constant stirring over a low heat that makes the difference. It's like making ice cream, rather than big chunks of omelette, it keeps the eggy clumps small so the result is smooth and creamy rather than a pile of omelette scrapings. It's also important to leave them juicy rather than dry, which means stopping cooking earlier than you might and keeping up the stirring. Too late and they'll continue to cook to dryness. Trust me, I'm a Professor of Scramblology.