Author Topic: Rust in frame  (Read 1213 times)

Rust in frame
« on: 26 May, 2018, 06:03:17 pm »
What can I do about rust in a frame?
It's an On One Inbred and while removing a bit of chain stay reinforcing plate to get my Bafang motor to fit properly I found rust under the plate. A look in the bottom bracket showed rust at the holes where the tubes join.

If The Bafang is a good match for this frame I will be getting it powder coated in a few months.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Rust in frame
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2018, 09:39:33 am »
framesaver is good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2018, 09:53:09 am »
A bit late now but the first thing I do when building up a steel-frame bike is use some kind of frame-saver on the insides.  Searching here should find several threads on what people recommend.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2018, 10:29:39 am »
A product called waxoil is what I recall being used for rust prevention in frames  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2018, 10:53:17 am »
Use a rust converter, available from all good motorists emporia, then an internal coating. J. P. Weigles Frame Saver is a good brand if you can get it but Waxoyl or similar - again available at car places - will do.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2018, 02:33:24 pm »
Thanks all.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2018, 11:25:01 pm »
Is it worth, on a New Bike, doing the Waxoyl treatment? I don't know if Pinnacle (Evans own brand) are treated when built up.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2018, 05:28:29 am »
Pre-build is the easiest time to treat the frame.  No bits attached yet, easiest to put the nozzle / spray tube into the vent holes near dropouts, easiest to verify that you have good coverage, etc.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 29 May, 2018, 06:40:17 am »
Bilt-Hamber Dynax S50 comes in a massive aerosol with a long flexible probe.  Easier to use than Waxoyl.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 29 May, 2018, 08:50:51 am »
Bilt-Hamber Dynax S50 comes in a massive aerosol with a long flexible probe.  Easier to use than Waxoyl.

That's what I use.  Fantastic stuff - done 6 frames so far and still half the can left. The tube doesn't seem to get blocked if unused for a few years either.

A work of warning.  The last treated frame I took to Armourtex left them spluttering in the workshop.  When it was heated for curing it gave off some unpleasant fumes, apparently!
The sound of one pannier flapping