Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2161467 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12025 on: 29 April, 2017, 03:38:02 pm »
my pump fell out of my pocket during a hard sprint today and was run over by a car just before i returned to pick it up. i thought it's a shame to throw it away, so salvaged a co2 inflator by cutting the end of the tube so that it can be screwed in to retain a back-pressure valve in place.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12026 on: 29 April, 2017, 03:40:41 pm »
Installed a new fluorescent strip in the workshop to better illuminate the new bike-fettling area.  One of the new LED ones, it lights up immediately and fairly blasts out the lumens. Quite a bit harsher than the existing lights despite looking vaguely pink. It'll do.

And after I've drunk my coffee I've got to go out again and de-crud my bike for tomorrow's jaunt. Bleh.

Duh. Forgot to put up rings to hang the thing from. It'll have to make do with a quick brush.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12027 on: 29 April, 2017, 03:44:49 pm »
Just completed switching over parts from the broken red Criterium to the new Blue frame. I also found out that the rear tyre had some serious sidewall damage from when the old frame was breaking, and the front fork is vey tight for clearance with gurads, so for now I've switched a 23mm tyre onto the front and moved the old "25mm" Pro4 Endurance to the back.

I just need new cable crimps now, and to get out and do a test ride. Perhaps after the TdY stage finishes :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12028 on: 29 April, 2017, 04:30:24 pm »
Should have been riding a 400 today but illness got in the way for HK and I. Instead I dismantled some Record hubs and ordered 4 x cups, 2 x cones and some 5/32" bearings. Adjusted the mudguards on HK's Roberts to clear 25mm Michelins. The original wheels have got new tyres, until the replacement parts arrive.

Changed the tyres on my Frezoni and fitted a mudguard taillight. Changed the bent gear hanger on my LTS-1. Changed a set of worn brake pads on HK's Trykit.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12029 on: 29 April, 2017, 07:56:52 pm »
Cleaned one of my Van Nics to within an inch of its life - stripped down, cranks off, BB out, brakes off, mechs off - all degreased etc.  All back together and looking very smart.

Rob

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12030 on: 30 April, 2017, 10:41:37 am »
Fettled a handle to fit my drag hoe head after the last one broke.

Satisfying use of a spoke shave, and it fitted at first attempt, tappped on firmly with a big hammer
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12031 on: 30 April, 2017, 10:57:00 am »
Yesterday.
Used an M8 x 1.25mm pitch tap on the female half of the Brompton's chainring bolts so that I can get a conventional M8 bolt and lock-nut in there to prevent it from rotating while I tighten the male half which is M8 with a 0.75mm pitch.
Having visited Clerkenwell Screws and scoured the interwebs yesterday, nobody seems to sell anything in M8 with a very fine pitch - although I did find and order some M8 x 0.75 bolts from SJS that would still leave me lacking a locknut.
It seemed easier for the bore of the female part of the nut to have threads cut in two different pitches in each half.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12032 on: 30 April, 2017, 01:48:31 pm »
Changed the sprocket on the Sturmey-Archer AM rear wheel that's going in the Holdsworth (now respaced to the minimum 111mm).  As I used a rare threaded driver on this hub, which takes good quality track sprockets, it's a faff.  Sheldon describes the process quite well but, in summary, you have to remove the driver from the hub, sit it astride a steel bar held in a vice, and use a gert chain whip.  It was tight, despite being a steel/steel threading rather than the usual steel/alloy of a track hub.

Chainline on this bike will be "road double outer" 46mm so the Surly sprocket is going to be the right way round this time.  The clubman is 40mm but that's because it was thrown together from a parts bin, and the old sprocket was screwed on with the shoulder outwards to lose 6mm when I used it on that bike.  Normal SA sprockets have enormous flexibility in chainline but the threaded drivers only allow 4 permutations if you use one 1/16" spacer.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12033 on: 30 April, 2017, 02:15:53 pm »
Replaced the rumbling year-old Shimano external BB in HK's trike, along with a new chain and a smaller small ring. Hopefully the cassette will be ok, though I have a replacement in stock, if needed. Interestingly, around the eutectic silver fillet brazing the 953 stainless tubing is showing some corrosion, which is currently being polished off. I wonder if intergranular corrosion adjacent to the braze material is occurring.

New chains and cogs fitted to my Frezoni, my fixed and HK's MTB commuter. Swapped pedals on HK's Condor. Still need to sort out the loose crown race on it. Fitted a QR Bagman and second rear light to HK's Roberts.

One of these days I'll finally get through the assorted handlebar retaping required. Must be four sets of bars to do.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12034 on: 30 April, 2017, 08:28:06 pm »
Today's entertainment was taking a Mk2 Raleigh Chopper to bits to get the frame, forks and chainguard powder-coated before a complete rebuild - sadly an angle-grinder had to be taken to the crankset (the pedal threads were shot and the LH crank was bent anyway).   

It's a project I'm doing in conjunction with volunteering at the Cyclists Fighting Cancer charity bike shop - the owner of the Chopper is going to meet all the costs and make an additional donation.

Rob

« Reply #12035 on: 01 May, 2017, 02:22:51 pm »
On the Pompino:
New cog onto the recently re-rimmed wheel.
New chain.
New chainring.
New brake blocks - front and rear.
Replaced the rear mdgrd, where the bike rack at work had bitten off the last ~150mm  >:(

My god that was an inordinate faff.

Rough/ estiguess fit mdgrd.
Fit rear wheel and adjust for perfect chainline and optimal chain tension.
Realise that I've shortened the chain to 118 links instead of 108. Could be worse, could be the other way round.
Remove wheel, shorten chain, fit rear wheel and adjust for perfect chainline and optimal chain tension.
Adjust the cantilevers - a process which in itself should be nominated for some sort of award.
Realise that estiguessed mdgrd fit is way off target, and that I may need to re-locate the hole which affixes the mdgrd to the chainstay bridge and the one which attaches it to the brake bridge.
Remove wheel, re-fit mdgrd using only the stays.
Realise that rather than re-locating the holes, what needs doing is the stays at 11:00 need shortening by around 7mm.
Partially dismantle mdgrd.
Don eye protection (cheap easy reader specs - as opposed to my not-so-cheap prescription Sillhouettes)
Deploy Dremel to cleave excess stays.
Re-fit mdgrd.
Partially remove mdgrd.
Fit rear wheel and adjust for perfect chainline and optimal chain tension. (Yay! for chain tugs!)
Tweak mdgrd for optimal fit.

Lose the will to live.....

Later today:
Will take front wheel and new rim round to Arup, collect new 'spare' rear wheel he has just built for me, and leave the front wheel with him to replace the worn rim with a new one.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12036 on: 01 May, 2017, 03:30:31 pm »
Fitted tyres and tubes to the Holdsworth wheels, after a trip to the LBS to get some more rim tape.

Wheels for 1951 Holdsworth build by rogerzilla, on Flickr

The front hub is an Airlite of uncertain vintage, but it has a 5/16" axle which is needed for the Holdsworth forks.  The dropouts are chromed, so filing them out for a modern 9mm axle isn't a good idea.  Front wheel is 32h x2 and rear is 40h x4.

The hipster's favourite Velocity Deep V rims aren't my favourite but they're the only narrow 700c rim available in 40 hole for the AM...which happens to be in an alloy shell that is the same year as the frameset.  Note little brass washers to pack out the modern spokes to allow for the thin flanges.  I built this wheel in 2009 and it's been on the Dun Run.

Sturmey-Archer AM hub in alloy 40h shell and Surly track sprocket by rogerzilla, on Flickr

Unlike most SA hubs, the notches in the RH ball ring aren't mangled up because it was NOS and has never needed much force to get it apart.  It should never actually need taking apart in its lifetime now it's running on oil which doesn't go gummy with age.  Also shown - new 18T Surly track sprocket.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12037 on: 01 May, 2017, 05:54:17 pm »
Long, very long, overdue deep clean of the cranky old grid.  I won't say how long overdue as I'm rather ashamed of how much I've neglected the poor old bus.

Here's a thing.  I always forget how nimble and responsive my bike is until I take it out for a post clean/fettle round the block blip, sans pump, saddle pack and bottle and, most importantly of all, no damned rucksack full of laptop computer(s).
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #12038 on: 01 May, 2017, 09:33:27 pm »
I bought an electric go kart rolling chassis a couple of months ago, and have been gradually building it into a working Kart with my 5 year old grandson - I drilled and tapped holes and he bolted a lot of it together. We added a fly-tipped childs car seat, 200 Watt motor, sealled lead acid batteries from a server UPS from work (they scrapped 2 packs of 4 batteries and I identified 4 good batteries to use), and an ebay speed controller. I had to get the 25mm pull cable from the accelerator pedal to operate the potentiometer of the speed control, so swapped the rotary pot for a 60mm slider and used a lever to increase the cable's pull from 25mm to 60mm.

He drove it for the first time today.  :D

He isn't very good at driving it yet.

https://youtu.be/WZXafBLWvko
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12039 on: 02 May, 2017, 08:42:36 am »
Lovely. A dream come true for most kids.  When I was a nipper we made do with pram wheels and gravity.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12040 on: 02 May, 2017, 12:30:25 pm »
Fettled two hard-back books which were starting to show wear on the corners by adding some metal corner covers.  Cost pennies and took seconds - should have done it ages ago.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12041 on: 02 May, 2017, 07:03:16 pm »
I have just installed an FSA BB30 conversion sleeve.

Thankfully on an alloy frame.

I don't want to do that again. EVER!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

fuzzy

« Reply #12042 on: 03 May, 2017, 11:35:57 am »
Wot? Not even for money?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12043 on: 03 May, 2017, 11:49:06 am »
Currently adapting a folding bench to fit a space at the bike end of the workshop. Fiddly - move bit A and then find it fouls bit B when the thing's folded, unfold and fix, try again.

Missus: are you going to want to fold it again?

Me: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

« Reply #12044 on: 03 May, 2017, 02:33:04 pm »
Fettled the brakes on OH's town bike - crappy V-brakes that were gunked up enough that the return spring wasn't working properly. Copious GT85 and a regrease seem to have done the job, and new blocks have sharpened up the braking. At some point I should probably give it a clean.

« Reply #12045 on: 03 May, 2017, 04:01:49 pm »
Yesterday.
Some Ultegra sidepulls (courtesy of MarkT OTP) to replace the Bianchi own-brand ones on the errr.... Bianchi.
Happy to report that as a result, stoppage on said bike has been considerably enhanced.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12046 on: 04 May, 2017, 12:07:24 am »
Wot? Not even for money?

This was for money. Frankly, it felt like one of those jobs that needed three hands. One to steady the part, another to operate the press and a third to cover the testicles - cos if it had fooked up I was gonna lose 'em!

BB30 is the work of Stan. Reason, explanation, justification? None whatsoever . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

fuzzy

« Reply #12047 on: 04 May, 2017, 01:47:19 pm »
Wot? Not even for money?

This was for money. Frankly, it felt like one of those jobs that needed three hands. One to steady the part, another to operate the press and a third to cover the testicles - cos if it had fooked up I was gonna lose 'em!

BB30 is the work of Stan. Reason, explanation, justification? None whatsoever . . .

Someone got a pay rise out of it I suspect.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12048 on: 04 May, 2017, 03:59:53 pm »
New Marathon Plus on Mrs Wow's Brommie's rear wheel.

Today, I own the Internets.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12049 on: 04 May, 2017, 06:20:24 pm »
Triffids.  I hurt more than I did after falling off my mountain bike a couple of weeks ago.