Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2167400 times)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13050 on: 21 June, 2018, 08:06:34 am »
Watched & learned while the Stannah bloke serviced the 12,000-euro stair-lift doodah that the Inlaw Paw only used once. Batteries were dead, of course. In future we're supposed to go for a ride on it once a week to keep the batteries in fettle.

You'd think there would be a good (very lightly) used market for Stannah stair lifts. My parents put one in in their house.  It was a simple straight up the stairs one - no bends or complicated geometry. I doubt it was used more than half a dozen times.  My late mum refused to use it and went upstairs on all fours.

We took it out after they died and before my brother and I sold the house. There was no market for it.  Stannah didn't want it.  You'd think that they could have a profitable business in selling good 2nd hand ones.  But no.  I despair (yet again).   Should have held on to it - the way I'm going I'll be needing it in a few years......

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13051 on: 21 June, 2018, 10:47:30 am »
For 150€ Stannah would take it out and mothball it in the loft.  I'd be pleased to have our nice oak staircase back as it should be but we have friends and family who would doubtless use it when they visit so we left it in.  If the obligatory weekly ride gets to be a bind and we have 150€ to burn we might do it, because those who would need it are getting to the point where travelling here would be too much for them.

Heh. The service guy said that Stannah sold batteries at around 100€ a throw but you could get compatibles that were just as good for 50€ on the internet. Good bloke.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13052 on: 21 June, 2018, 02:10:02 pm »
We took it out after they died and before my brother and I sold the house. There was no market for it.  Stannah didn't want it.  You'd think that they could have a profitable business in selling good 2nd hand ones.  But no.  I despair (yet again).   Should have held on to it - the way I'm going I'll be needing it in a few years......

I expect it's like Singer sewing machines around the time the domestic market became saturated.  Hard to sell more if you're refurbishing the existing ones...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13053 on: 21 June, 2018, 02:23:18 pm »
They say that the rails are tailored to every staircase, and the manufacture is the main expense. Sounds reasonable.  All the same, 12k€ to buy ==> 1.5k€ to take back was a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13054 on: 21 June, 2018, 02:44:41 pm »
They say that the rails are tailored to every staircase, and the manufacture is the main expense. Sounds reasonable.  All the same, 12k€ to buy ==> 1.5k€ to take back was a bit of a kick in the teeth.

In which case (and this sort of lack of planning is a bugbear of mine) staircase designs ought to be standardised, for ease of adding such things later.  People always assume disability is something that happens to Other People.

« Reply #13055 on: 21 June, 2018, 10:07:46 pm »

In which case (and this sort of lack of planning is a bugbear of mine) staircase designs ought to be standardised, for ease of adding such things later.  People always assume disability is something that happens to Other People.
The stairlift rails aren't really tailored to the staircase, more assembled out of a range of available parts.

There are many ways that the stairlift companies use to kill the second-hand market.
1) Parts, like odd bits of rail, aren't available.
2) Each stair lift needs to be taught the slope and curves, both changes in slope and direction, and oddities like moving rails. The method of teaching the lift is, of course, considered too difficult to be revealed on websites.
3) Stairlifts run from batteries, and only use the mains to charge the batteries. The charging circuits are crap and overcharge the batteries so they die in a few years but if you turn off the power, and the batteries go flat, the stairlift forgets the slope.
4) The "safety" card can be played at any time.

Add that to the fact that stairlifts are a distress purchase, and have to work reliably, and there's no room for a spare one, and the market for tinkering is just about non-existent.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13056 on: 21 June, 2018, 10:23:15 pm »
That's it.  When I win the lottery and can afford a house, I'm fitting batpoles.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13057 on: 22 June, 2018, 10:17:42 pm »
The LHT is finished.  Pic tomorrow when I've wiped bits of grease away and given it a polish.  Fitted f&r dynamo lights but just couldn't live with the hideous wire running to the rear, so put the old Toplight 4D battery light back on.

Fairly cheap build as only the stem, cables, BB cups* and bar tape are new.

*the old Deore ones felt ok but at £15 for new XT ones, it didn't seem worth refitting them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13058 on: 22 June, 2018, 10:28:21 pm »
My singlespeed has been driving me to distraction (and not riding it for months) as there was a loud creak/clunk every pedal stroke under load.

Knowing I'd changed the BB, I've been checking the freewheel, chain, pedals, cranks, chainring (yes that one is getting a bit sharky actually); but still it kept creaking. I finally decided to take the BB out again, and discovered I'd only tightened it finger tight on the drive side :facepalm:

Now the BB has been removed, cleaned, regreased and installed properly, the bike was almost silent when I took it for a spin round the block!
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13059 on: 22 June, 2018, 10:45:56 pm »
BB and Cranks fitted to Giant.

Intend to do brake swap tomorrow, longer reach brakes onto the Cruzbike and put the original ones back on the Giant from the CB
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Phil W

« Reply #13060 on: 22 June, 2018, 10:48:42 pm »
Blue Peter style route sheet holder for a 200 tomorrow.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13061 on: 23 June, 2018, 11:05:13 am »
New brake pads in the Ridgeback Tempest shopping bike.  Only took me about 15 mins.  Genuine Shimano pads, came with 2 split pins and the spring. 

Ah...….  That's better...…

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13062 on: 23 June, 2018, 05:07:03 pm »
Finished th shed windows, chopped down the bay tree that some div planted too close to the back door <fx:hangs head>, tied up the poppies in the back yard and built built the temporary trellis for the perennial sweet peas in the front garden.
Guess who’s Dr Beardy (Mrs)’s favourite husband 😁
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13063 on: 23 June, 2018, 09:10:43 pm »
Rerouted the lighting wiring on the Sequoia, new terminals and refitted the little black cap thing. All seems to work but obviously will have to be realigned when it gets dark. I hate crimping (well I don't really hate it, I'm just crap at it).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

« Reply #13064 on: 23 June, 2018, 10:12:07 pm »
Put the slightly longer reach second hand brakes on the Cruzbike.  Still need a bit of mudguard butchering

Put the 521's back on the Giant frame, put the original stem back on the Giant (need to adjust headset bearings - waggling), put the moustche handlebars on the giant and moved the brifters over.  Dug the old tiagra rear mech out from the spares box and mounted that.  Just need a front mech and it's complete structurally.

I have cables, outers and bar tape in the spares box readily to hand, so could finish it fairly quickly.  Not sure what I'll do with it after that.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13065 on: 24 June, 2018, 11:16:12 am »
That's it.  When I win the lottery and can afford a house, I'm fitting batpoles.

Nah, go for a bungalow - much simpler.

Rob

« Reply #13066 on: 24 June, 2018, 10:19:32 pm »
Having built up a new pair of wheels for my new bike, I fitted the new wheels, new tyres and also mudguards, and dynamo lights.

I hate fitting mudguards. 

« Reply #13067 on: 25 June, 2018, 06:29:09 pm »
Fitted a matched pair of Praxis front rings and adjusted the front mech in the hope that it will sort out my occasional shifting issues with the Di2 bike. The rings that came off were Miche, and the outer wasn’t quite true.  Tomorrow will tell, but I’ve got the 2mm Allen key strapped to my multi-tool for fine adjustments if necessary.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

« Reply #13068 on: 26 June, 2018, 05:46:40 am »
New chain on the Cruzbike and soem mudguard fiddling to increase the usable range of low gears without fouling the mudguard stay.

cable outers for the Giant rebuild, need brake blocks and chain to run it as a 1x10 set up, might start with that and then add the front mech as and when.

Started pulling together bits and pieces for the summer tour - only 5 weeks to go!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13069 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:05:36 am »
Removed, with the help of misc. spanners and some bad swears, the carburettor from the lawn mower and then the bowl from the carburettor.  Tipped out a goodly pile of crap from the bowl, blew through the jet. Reassembly was the reverse of the above, although I failed to renew any o rings. Neither did I use a suitable drift.  That's what you get when there's no Haynes Book of Lies. Anyhoo, the mower now runs for more than three seconds.  Must find the petrol can next.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13070 on: 26 June, 2018, 10:13:26 am »
Made a nut extender for my 3-string to make slide playing easier. It improved the tone, too: still trying to suss that out.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13071 on: 26 June, 2018, 11:02:15 am »
Removed, with the help of misc. spanners and some bad swears, the carburettor from the lawn mower and then the bowl from the carburettor.  Tipped out a goodly pile of crap from the bowl, blew through the jet. Reassembly was the reverse of the above, although I failed to renew any o rings. Neither did I use a suitable drift.  That's what you get when there's no Haynes Book of Lies. Anyhoo, the mower now runs for more than three seconds.  Must find the petrol can next.

You can waste hours and hours watching this guy get small engines running again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_kTE3C007k

The guy's a genius.

« Reply #13072 on: 26 June, 2018, 02:08:50 pm »
the fixed was making noises so I looked at the sprocket (v.sharky) and the chainring not great. replaced a 48/19 with a 44/17 but think I'm slightly overgeared so may consider a 46/18

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13073 on: 26 June, 2018, 10:40:09 pm »
I found stuff.  Lots of inner tubes, a whole D-lock and key, a Topeak Mini 18+ multitool I didn't even know I had (must have bought it years ago, when my Power 16 went AWOL) and a belt holster for a Kryptonite mini-D lock.  I also found all the sockets and allen keys for my DK Random Wrench, a stupendously large and heavy multitool designed for wrangling BMX bikes, but perfect for fixies as it will REALLY tighten the bolts on a Goldtec hub.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13074 on: 27 June, 2018, 07:46:34 am »
Fished some small bits out of the oil where they're been steeping to loosen the labels, rubbed off latter and plonked former into degreaser. PITA. Not even sure I want to use the things now.