Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 851371 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5150 on: 01 May, 2017, 11:02:51 pm »
Yesterday, I ordered some tools to remove the cups from oversize Campag hubs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5151 on: 02 May, 2017, 01:44:24 pm »
I was in thon french purveyor of sporting goods today browsing btwin bib shorts.  Very odd sizing.  M too tight and not long enough in the back, but large to baggy...  Or it could just be me being a skinny malink...

Anyway, I browsed the tyre section, and bought  pair of Continental GP4Seasons in 700x25 to replace my durano plussises, a couple of spare inner tubes, and a pair of fleecy "winter" cycling gloves in  hi vis yellow!

Hopefully the new tyres will be a nicer ride than my wooden feeling durano+  Need to get them fitted and tried out before the tasty sounding The Might Sconquest 100km audax which I'm riding on the 28th of May. 

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-129/

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5152 on: 02 May, 2017, 06:17:47 pm »
The Duomatic turned up and it's beautiful.  Gummed up from the feel of it, but I will strip it down anyway.  It is plutonium-dense to pick up - only tiny but weighs almost 1.2kg.  However, that's only about 250g more than a singlespeed hub, brake caliper and brake lever...and you do get an overdrive!

Any sources for FG 10,5 anti-rotation washers*?  The 13/32" SA ones are so precisely made that they don't fit over the axle, and they look as if they would be a beast to file.  FG 10,5 hub nuts are no problem - some are on the way from the Fatherland.

*all hub gears exert a small twisting force on the axle in all gears except direct drive, and the brake reaction arm doesn't help with this.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5153 on: 10 May, 2017, 09:33:05 am »
Some of these. FFS. :facepalm:

« Reply #5154 on: 10 May, 2017, 09:46:36 am »
Very nice. I wonder if I can get similar got MTB cleats.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #5155 on: 10 May, 2017, 10:22:34 am »
Couple of long quill stems on sale from Condor for the princely sum of £1.99 each plus postage.

« Reply #5156 on: 10 May, 2017, 08:19:05 pm »
...And some cables and a headset cable hanger; once my LBS has fitted the new headset, I should have all the bits to get my Eclipse back on the road, woo!

« Reply #5157 on: 11 May, 2017, 08:49:00 am »
Very nice. I wonder if I can get similar got MTB cleats.

They do MTB ones as well. :) http://rideissi.com/

« Reply #5158 on: 11 May, 2017, 11:13:25 am »
Entirely out of fear of a sub-zero night on BCM, I gave the credit card a workout.

Castelli Pave eVent jacket

Endura FS260 Primaloft Gilet

Both are a price bracket or three above the normal stuff I buy. The fit and details on both are lovely, and they pack down really small. I am hoping they substantially reduce my shivering compared to my usual Gabba-type material jersey & gilet + DWR treated anorak setup for overnight.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5159 on: 15 May, 2017, 10:36:54 pm »
Assorted bits and pieces with a view to rebuilding the Baron when I'm feeling a bit more flexible.  Front derailleur mostly guesswork, so probably won't work.  OTOH, the functionality of original one was a triumph of fettling over compatibility.

And a set of presta-valved inner tubes for the Brompton, because I'm bored of having to swap thingumies for tyres that need pumping up so regularly, and because if I'm going to spend a load of money on bike parts, I'd like to have *something* to show for it.

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
« Reply #5160 on: 03 June, 2017, 07:44:13 am »
Athena triple chainset, in nice alloy... For £79.99 from Merlin Cycles. Reduced from £184 odd. Will be going on the Moulton TSR.

« Reply #5161 on: 03 June, 2017, 11:04:08 am »
An SKS Renkompressor to resolve the difficulty outlined here.

An impressive and sturdy feeling piece of kit.
Rust never sleeps

Samuel D

« Reply #5162 on: 03 June, 2017, 11:24:21 am »
An SKS Renkompressor to resolve the difficulty outlined here.

An impressive and sturdy feeling piece of kit.

I very nearly got one but opted for a Silca Super Pista instead, just before that pump went out of stock everywhere (not counting the new luxury model from America).

They’re both proper bits of kit with gloriously functional design. However, it would take a fat man to get 200+ PSI out of either of them! I can get about 150 PSI out of mine by bouncing my ~65 kg on the handle.

BrianI

« Reply #5163 on: 05 June, 2017, 11:53:52 am »
A pair of Carradice Super C Front Panniers,
and a Carradice Super C Rack Top Bag!

:thumbsup:

The front panniers, I'll probably use on the rear  of my touring bike during my holiday to Skye in August, ideal for carrying packed lunch / wildlife watching supplies!  Plus they super c rack back will be ideal for day rides! 

So a bit of an addition to my carradice stash...

Currently I have a Camper Longflap saddlebag, a Barley saddlebag, an old Caradura rack pack (needs new zip), and a Super C seat pack.

:)

BrianI

« Reply #5164 on: 07 June, 2017, 04:50:18 pm »
Hurry up panniers and rack pack!! I love the smell of Carradice Cotton Duck in the morning!

BrianI

« Reply #5165 on: 08 June, 2017, 08:49:17 pm »
Hurry up panniers and rack pack!! I love the smell of Carradice Cotton Duck in the morning!

Email from Spa Cycles - The super C front panniers are currently out of stock, but should be getting more in on Monday!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5166 on: 08 June, 2017, 11:32:25 pm »
A carbon bar from CRC (reduced from somewhere North of £200 for about £45, plus more cable end caps than I am ever likely to need and six pairs of variously coloured screw lock bar end caps.
Rust never sleeps

dim

« Reply #5167 on: 09 June, 2017, 08:45:05 am »
I'm collecting a Miss Grape Internode Frame bag this morning:....

edit: tried 2 of them at 2 different LBS .... they don't fit on my frame (Giant TCR carbon) ..... so Sunday's 200km ride will have to be done with a backpack again  :-[

I also considered an Ortlieb handlebar bag today, but decided against it
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

rogerzilla

« Reply #5168 on: 11 June, 2017, 02:24:37 pm »
A s/h brown Brooks Swallow for the Ernie Clements.

BrianI

« Reply #5169 on: 25 June, 2017, 03:22:11 pm »
A pair of Durano Plus Folding in 25mm size.

Way to many punctures on those Continental GP4Seasons for my liking. Two in the rear, as well as a snake bite today and I've not even done 350km with them yet!.  When the majority of your cycling is on your lonesome, then the extra weight and reliabilty of Durano Plus is worth it it if means you aren't spending time at the side of the road fixing punctures!

A shame, as the GP4Seasons were nice and light, and gave a plush ride.  But for me, reliability is my priority.  These GP4S may appear in a for sale thread soon...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5170 on: 25 June, 2017, 04:16:38 pm »
I have Durano Plus on my Velomobile and I have to say I am really happy with them. I had a job to fit them at first (it was in December) but have had six months puncture-free, whereas with normal Duranos I had a puncture each week. I have not noticed a speed reduction really, although I know there must theoretically be one.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

rogerzilla

« Reply #5171 on: 25 June, 2017, 08:09:32 pm »
My finger slipped on a circa 1990 Ron Cooper Columbus SLX racing bike with full Ultegra (that's 14 speed Ultegra) for £300.  Coopers are among the best steel frames ever made, just before race bikes lost their elegance.  Not intending to change anything except the tyres and tubes, and eventually a straight respray over the slightly scuffed and very dated tricolor pink/purple/yellow fade.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskXSd5u5

Will compare it to the Boardman Team Carbon on hard rides; it will be about 2lb heavier but I bet it rides better and it looks ten times better.

Oh, and some pulleys to get some bikes up into the garage roofspace.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5172 on: 25 June, 2017, 09:10:51 pm »
Oh, and some pulleys to get some bikes up into the garage roofspace.

You have Garage Space? Get more bikes quick, man!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

rogerzilla

« Reply #5173 on: 25 June, 2017, 09:18:20 pm »
There's a car in there, although it's easy enough to open the door, push it back a bit and lower the bikes when required.  I used to have that arrangement in the last house.  The bikes are attached to nylon rope with a half-blood knot around the front rim.  I also have a shed for the more frequently-used bikes, or (in winter) just the ones with mudguards.

BrianI

« Reply #5174 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:23:46 pm »
I have Durano Plus on my Velomobile and I have to say I am really happy with them. I had a job to fit them at first (it was in December) but have had six months puncture-free, whereas with normal Duranos I had a puncture each week. I have not noticed a speed reduction really, although I know there must theoretically be one.

Got the tyres today (very quick delivery Mr Wiggle, as well as a bag of haribo!)

I stuck one of the Durano Plus folding 25mm on the kitchen scales.  397 grams!  A fair bit heavier than the GP 4 Seasons (240grams according to Conti. Must stick them on the scales once I swap them over with the durano pluses)

However as a leisurely audaxer, I think the durano plus is more suited to my type of riding!   :)