Author Topic: New front light, but which one?  (Read 8947 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: New front light, but which one?
« Reply #50 on: 17 December, 2009, 06:34:37 pm »
ITS BACK!!   Finaly from Dresden, been in the country since SAT!! Hmmm! Stiil THIS time the box was well padded with those polystyrene curls, and all was well. plugged in the charger, and wonder of wonders the green light AND the red light on the charger are on. Woopeddoodah!!!! So here's to many hours of illuminated fun together!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

« Reply #51 on: 17 December, 2009, 07:07:04 pm »
Funny, innit. You'd never fink DHL woz a German firm.

Let's see if it's gorgeously bright & lights up the snow prettily, shall we?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Treewheeler

« Reply #52 on: 17 December, 2009, 11:47:22 pm »
I've ordered one this eve along with 2 brackets for mounting central on fork crown.
It's my Christmas present for me so it better be good for those dark Breton lanes... ::-)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #53 on: 18 December, 2009, 06:51:37 pm »
was indeed a most spectacular light last night, on a club run in the snow, (blizzard). I'll tell you wat, coming home in the blizzard at about 10.30pm, we experienced a VERY STRANGE feenominom?????  It was thundering and lightening in a snow storm!! Never ever knowed that 'appen before. Must blank out the top edge of the light with some gaffa tepr . its a bit of a 'bobby dazzler' a merry xmas to one an all :thumbsup:

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #54 on: 14 April, 2017, 05:29:13 pm »
Thread resurrection:
Having taken advice, I am now the proud owner of a couple of Ixon IQ - they came from bike-discount in Germany and the charger didn't work so I sent it back (free postage both ways) and they gave me the money back. Now I have the lights but no charger. The original order was more than €100 hence free postage. I can order a replacement for €12 plus €6 postage which would not break the bank - but does The Team know of anywhere in the UK that has this? Or perhaps Kim can suggest some sort of electrical wizardry that might do the trick?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #55 on: 14 April, 2017, 07:53:08 pm »
The "charger" is a 9V power supply, according to https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=33012.0

Power Pax from CPC = a safe make from a safe seller - although I don't know off hand if any have the right connector.  (I'd just change the connector if necessary).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #56 on: 14 April, 2017, 08:43:45 pm »
Really helpful post, many thanks. A, now dithering between a six quid eBay buy or the real thing for twice that: the risk is six pounds but the gain is to be sure i have a thing that works.
Thanks.

« Reply #57 on: 14 April, 2017, 09:29:35 pm »
The real thing will have the right connector and should just work.  For that price I'd go genuine.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #58 on: 14 April, 2017, 09:52:50 pm »
My thinking too. Thanks.
A shame the original didn't work. Bike-discount wee OK to deal with though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 14 April, 2017, 09:56:30 pm »
I used to charge my Ixon IQ from a generic 9V adaptor.  No problems.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #60 on: 14 April, 2017, 11:33:37 pm »
The B&M power supply has a Euro plug, so you would need an extra adapter anyway. Neater just to get something with a UK plug.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #61 on: 15 April, 2017, 02:55:31 pm »
It's best to avoid cheap unbranded or possibly-faked-brand power supplies from eBay and random shops.  You can't be sure they're safe and meet their claimed specs.   Some have very poor separation between mains and output.  See Big Clive on YouTube finding bad circuit board layout and dodgy transformer wire insulation in some of these things.

It doesn't have to be B&M but do at least pick the supplier carefully.  You may already have something suitable that came with a reputable product.  Check your sock drawer.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #62 on: 15 April, 2017, 03:04:20 pm »
Have bought something from maplin, seems OK. Can always return it, obvs.