Author Topic: Forumite spotting  (Read 587526 times)

Re: Forumite spotting
« Reply #3725 on: 15 May, 2017, 12:06:53 pm »
Was sat in front of TimO at the lights in South Ken twice in the past week.
He never remembers who I am, but Tim, if you did spot the YACF badge on the Carradice saddlebag, now you know!

You're the one with a pretty bike and a carradice barley!

That's very kind, but usually I'm on an anonymous black Ridgeback mountain bike with a hub gear and a Carradice Nelson.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3726 on: 15 May, 2017, 10:29:41 pm »
I spotted a Pingu-not-in-lycra and a Mrs Pingu, to whom I transported flapjack in person this time.

We had a good night with you & Deano. Good music & beer too  :) The cake was nice  :P

Bonus pic of forumites presenting hand knitted socks to Chris T-T  :)

IMG_8508_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #3727 on: 15 May, 2017, 11:02:59 pm »
Was sat in front of TimO at the lights in South Ken twice in the past week.
He never remembers who I am, but Tim, if you did spot the YACF badge on the Carradice saddlebag, now you know!

You're the one with a pretty bike and a carradice barley!

That's very kind, but usually I'm on an anonymous black Ridgeback mountain bike with a hub gear and a Carradice Nelson.
If you travel incognito, how is anyone supposed to spot you? ;)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #3728 on: 22 May, 2017, 07:30:04 pm »
Riding behind Juan on (I think) the A28 in Kent on Saturday, and me wearing a carbon YACF jersey, a toot from a passing black van on the other carriageway; anyone here? We were hammering to get off it as quickly as possible so were concentrating...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3729 on: 13 June, 2017, 01:00:18 am »
Jacomus popped into the shop today, was a great unexpected surprise :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3730 on: 14 June, 2017, 03:35:27 pm »
Someone in a black (or carbon) yACF jersey near Rode Hall at around 08.00 today.
Other spotting features: male (I think), short hair, glasses and riding a hybrid with a red pannier.

I was very impressed by how visible the chevron on the back of the jersey was; I saw it from some distance away on what was a bright, sunny morning.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3731 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:15:03 pm »
Someone came to Llandysul today and nicked my electrons.
 :thumbsup:

20170616_154206 by Basil W, on Flickr
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

essexian

« Reply #3732 on: 22 June, 2017, 08:04:26 pm »
I think.... I am not 100% sure, but I think someone from this forum was heading up hill away from Penkridge just outside the Chase Golf Course this evening at 6.58pm.

The rider appeared to be wearing an orange YACF top. I was the fat bloke on the white Specialized heading downhill  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3733 on: 24 June, 2017, 09:19:43 am »
Not sure if it was AndyC or his double alighting at York at about 16.50 from 15.00 train from Kings Cross to Frozen North.

« Reply #3734 on: 28 June, 2017, 03:10:48 pm »
I was late in today, and around 8am spotted both a Rebecca (who may or may not be of this parish, I can't remember!) and the more oft spotted Adrian.

I fairly regularly (ie about four times in eight years) see Adrian on the A23, but I've only seen Rebecca once before, and miles away from that location.  I didn't do terribly well spotting her this time, since she spotted me and called out, as I went past her and then just got to the traffic lights as they changed, leaving her somewhere behind me.  :-[
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3735 on: 28 June, 2017, 04:22:38 pm »
I wasn't aware either of them were otp (I met the Adrian and I think also the Rebecca on a FNRttC). I see Rebecca's on a Surly.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3736 on: 28 June, 2017, 05:16:48 pm »
I wasn't aware either of them were otp (I met the Adrian and I think also the Rebecca on a FNRttC). I see Rebecca's on a Surly.  :thumbsup:

Adrian is definitely of this parish, the 12th oldest extant account, although he hasn't been active for 16 months.  I'm not sure what Rebecca's username is anywhere, other than Facebook, where she has a real name.  ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3737 on: 28 June, 2017, 05:23:30 pm »
Velovoice on here, Tim.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3738 on: 28 June, 2017, 06:40:38 pm »
That's a nice reversal of the normal pattern. Usually someone spends years being an online personality before you meet them, knowing they are xyz from YACF, usually in a muddy field with fire and cake.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3739 on: 28 June, 2017, 08:13:41 pm »
Knowing people from the FNRttC can be particularly confusing, not just because of the high overlap with The Other Place (where many forumites have dual nationality, but usernames are more contended so don't always match).  It's entirely possible to have long conversations with someone during a night ride, then not recognise them in daylight or at breakfast due to the removal of layers/helmets and the absence of previously distinctive bike lights.

« Reply #3740 on: 28 June, 2017, 10:46:29 pm »
There's a weird side effect from doing an FNRttC (or any group ride come that that, except that the only group rides I do are FNRttCs), and that is the ability to recognise an individual on a bike from behind.

On Monday I found myself behind one of the thousand cyclists I now see on my daily route except that this one was unmistakably Velovoice, as spotted by TimO just above.

Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3741 on: 02 July, 2017, 01:32:57 pm »
Fboab and Chris on their way to Boroughbridge at lunchtime today.
I was going the other way in the car.

« Reply #3742 on: 03 July, 2017, 02:48:55 pm »
It's ages since I've been spotted in the wild :)

We were taking No2Son and his Dykefriend round her longest ever ride.

Mr Smith only dropped her off the tandem once ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3743 on: 11 July, 2017, 04:06:50 pm »
Road-runner + mrs appeared on my doorstep 10 minutes ago in need of a 'service station' en route to Elsewhere.

Very pleasant, if short-lived surprise!

They'll be back!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3744 on: 24 July, 2017, 11:20:33 pm »
Funnily enough...

Road-runner, this very evening in Sheffield. By arrangement.

What a really nice chap!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #3745 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:56:10 am »
There's a theme appearing here. I, too, had a welcome doorstep roadrunner interface on Sunday.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3746 on: 26 July, 2017, 08:23:45 am »
That MrCharley, over a pint of Yorkshire Gold, in the Head of Steam, Leeds, and then over a burrito in the Cielo Blanco. A very gentle and pleasant evening catching up, but without CAIK.

I was amused by the waitress, where MrC ordered some fruity goodness to drink, and I had a Corona, the beer automatically ended up being handed to the bloke while the lay-dee got the fruit.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3747 on: 26 July, 2017, 08:23:36 pm »
Mr & Mrs road-runner spent the afternoon chez nous, playing our n+? pianos and drinkingTEA.

« Reply #3748 on: 30 July, 2017, 07:00:59 pm »
Blank yacf top, sunglasses, black (daxwes?) w pannier bags heading up linden road towards Cotteridge.  About 2pm.  Taking #1 child to swim lesson, so prob quite confused by random ped yelling out a "hello".
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3749 on: 30 July, 2017, 07:10:14 pm »
Blank yacf top, sunglasses, black (daxwes?) w pannier bags heading up linden road towards Cotteridge.  About 2pm.  Taking #1 child to swim lesson, so prob quite confused by random ped yelling out a "hello".

That'll be me: Black YACF jersey, photochromic glasses, Discovery 501 with butterfly bars, some of those enormous Altura panniers.

Didn't hear a thing.