Author Topic: Free seeds for bees  (Read 3641 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Re: Free seeds for bees
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2012, 08:29:33 am »
Ordered some, thanks. We've put some down already for the bees but these might come in handy for any gaps in my sowing.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2012, 08:40:04 am »
Ordered and donated. I get really upset about the bee decline, so have lots of little bee houses around the garden and bee and butterfly feeders.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2012, 08:41:26 am »
Thanks
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2013, 06:57:39 pm »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2013, 01:55:21 pm »
apparently the EU are going to have a closer look at banning these nicotinoid based chemicals despite  having a chance to ban them in a vote the other day and failing, I think a different department might be about to flex their muscles,
I think it's about time people woke up to just how important bees are.

« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:34:54 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22021104

So I just read this and basically DEFRA that wonderful government body that looks after farming and the countryside blame bee keepers for the decline in honey bee numbers. They also don't think the nicotinoid type chemicals are a problem apparently they don't kill enough bee's to be of concern, I am so glad I've got out of farming when there is such an ignorant bunch of shits telling me how things should be done.

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2013, 11:26:10 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22335520

at last a move in the right direction.

« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2013, 08:30:40 pm »
there used to be groups of people up and down the country that would plant flower seeds & plants on any empty piece of ground they could find,
around town, not sure if they're still going maybe we should start it up again :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2013, 08:47:47 pm »
I have often been thinking about that. Are these seeds that easy to plant? Open packet, throw on some ground and come back a few weeks later to see the flowers? If so I would happily start my little group.

If it is local wild flowers so much better.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2013, 09:48:01 pm »
pretty much, if you think about it, in the wild seeds are spread about by the wind as well as animals/birds no special soil preparation. I believe you can buy packets of wild seed just for this sort of application :) not sure if your allowed to collect wild seed, probably depends on what it is you collect
good luck.

after a bit of a search I found this, I'm sure with a bit of thought it would be easy enough to make your own up.
http://do-shop.com/seedbom.html   

google GUERILLA GARDENER loads of stuff comes up to do with the seed bombs and loads of ideas,

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2013, 10:45:34 pm »
You want a better success rate than a bird if you're not dropping seeds every day like a bird.  Request your seeds from the bee people, then research each variety received.

I will give my packs away to save myself the bother.  I'm feeling guilty now for donating only £2 to FotE, considering the amount of stuff they sent (printed matter as well as seeds), then a second lot, unsolicited.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #12 on: 01 April, 2014, 09:08:36 am »
Bees are very important indeed. Unfortunately there has been a huge upsurge in beekeeping recently and many have been under equipped in the knowledge department to cope with them. The bottom line being they can be lethal.

To assist I have put a site together which is pretty comprehensive though deliberately not exhaustive, what is there works, and most of it works well.

www.poly-hive.co.uk

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.