Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333652 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #1675 on: 23 June, 2017, 09:37:52 am »
Had a nasty moment earlier, couldn't find any Turmeric in the kitchen! Fortunately it had been put in the wrong rack but I still think I need to have a lie down

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1676 on: 08 July, 2017, 08:24:50 am »
There's a half-hour queue for the showers.

Just as well I chose to have a shower at 02:00 then. Still it's fun listening to the polite whines.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1677 on: 08 July, 2017, 08:30:45 am »
I missed the 'two spaces after a full stop' discussion in the grammar thread.  >:(
It is simpler than it looks.

PaulF

« Reply #1678 on: 08 July, 2017, 11:32:12 am »
Self checkout in Waitrose isn't working

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1679 on: 10 July, 2017, 06:05:39 pm »
There must have been about 300 trolleys in the trolley park outside Waitrose this afternoon. I have noticed, unscientifically, that it is not uncommon for the shopping list clip on the trolley to have come adrift. But it is always, in my experience, the right-hand rivet that breaks!

On a slightly less unscientific note, I counted the broken clips in the trolley park this afternoon. 11 of them, all of them broken at the right-hand rivet. Not one had a broken left-hand rivet.

OK, cone on, you YACF engineers and scientists! Explain why it is that Waitrose trolleys' shopping list holders only seem to break on the right?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1680 on: 10 July, 2017, 07:28:57 pm »
(unhelpful answer, and without being familiar with posh supermarket trollies...) Because the RH rivet obviously sees a greater fatigue load.

I suspect this will be in some way related to right-handers being more common; is it more likely to get banged when being placed back into a line of trollies? Or do most people hold the shopping list in their dominant hand and lift the clip with the left, which in some way provides a greater load on the RH rive

ian

« Reply #1681 on: 10 July, 2017, 08:42:00 pm »
What's a shopping list?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1682 on: 10 July, 2017, 08:53:09 pm »
What's a shopping list?
Traditionally,  it's the thing you leave on the kitchen table when you go shopping.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1683 on: 10 July, 2017, 09:02:28 pm »
What's a shopping list?
Traditionally,  it's the thing you leave on the kitchen table when you go shopping.

Obviously as a self-respecting unisex spaceadmin, I eschew such things, in favour of an electronic list that can easily be accessed from anywhere in the world, including the Free From aisle of Mr Sainsbury's Emporium of Toothy Comestibles.  Instead, we get an exciting new failure mode whereby nobody ever remembers to clear the list, and I end up buying a zillion bottles of washing-up liquid, but not the jam that never got added to the list in the first place.  I've recently modified the code to add datestamps to each new line.  I bet that won't actually help.

Paper lists are better anyway, as you find them in supermarket trolleys and gain insight into the life of some previous shopper.  It's that little human connection.  http://www.grocerylists.org/ refers.

ian

« Reply #1684 on: 11 July, 2017, 08:18:43 am »
I confess to never having written or had about my person anything resembling a shopping list. Shopping, for me, is an exercise in serendipity. Of course, that does occasionally mean that all we have in the fridge for tea is rhubarb and halloumi.

Mind you, we're a not planning household. We don't do itineraries, routes, or anything else. I'm a firm believe in not knowing where I'm going or what I'm going to do when I get there. I'm not normally sure where there is.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1685 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:10:44 am »
Shopping lists should be written like letters:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1686 on: 03 August, 2017, 05:54:12 pm »
My hat keeps blowing off.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1687 on: 03 August, 2017, 07:09:44 pm »
Don't let it eat so many beans!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1688 on: 03 August, 2017, 09:02:21 pm »
Paper lists are better anyway, as you find them in supermarket trolleys and gain insight into the life of some previous shopper.  It's that little human connection.  http://www.grocerylists.org/ refers.

If you forget your shopping list, you could have an interesting dinner using someone else's:

https://www.timeout.com/london/blog/someones-written-a-cookbook-from-shopping-lists-found-in-london-supermarkets-092415
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1689 on: 04 August, 2017, 12:13:52 pm »
While on the subject of shopping lists, a whole several of years ago I bought a two billion mark note at a flea market, date of issue November 1924 (and you thought inflation got bad under Thatcher!). It is printed on one side of rather cheap paper. On the other side, in extremely faded red pencil, is a shopping list of some half a dozen items. Unfortunately, the only item I have been able to make out is "brot", which I assume is bread. The rest is too faint to decipher, even if I could read German (which, being a typically ignorant monoglot Englishman, I can't)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1690 on: 04 August, 2017, 03:05:57 pm »
If it's in pencil you might get somewhere with grazing illumination.

If it reads

Can kraut
Pound pastrami
6 bagels

it'll be worth a bit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1691 on: 04 August, 2017, 06:51:35 pm »
Just discovered I've been downgraded from platinum to gold status on Wiggle. Oh the shame! :facepalm: :o

« Reply #1692 on: 04 August, 2017, 07:02:41 pm »
If it's in pencil you might get somewhere with grazing illumination.

If it reads

Can kraut
Pound pastrami
6 bagels

it'll be worth a bit.

:-D   I was thinking of that when I read Guy's post earlier. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1693 on: 07 September, 2017, 06:25:24 pm »
Waitrose! Waddayamean you haven't got any red Carmargue rice?

*jumps up and down on ethically-sourced bamboo cup purchased at enormous price for the purpose of drinking "free" coffee*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
« Reply #1694 on: 08 September, 2017, 01:41:38 pm »
Waitrose! Waddayamean you haven't got any red Carmargue rice?

*jumps up and down on ethically-sourced bamboo cup purchased at enormous price for the purpose of drinking "free" coffee*

Maybe its deliberate

https://wle.cgiar.org/thrive/2012/10/22/relationship-status-it%E2%80%99s-complicated-camargue
If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1695 on: 25 October, 2017, 04:47:28 pm »
Sainsbury's don't seem to be listing Geeta's chutney for me when I log in.
They list it if I'm not logged in.
I hope they're just temporarily out of stock.

Partner dislikes othre mango chutney.

PaulF

« Reply #1696 on: 25 October, 2017, 04:55:13 pm »
It’s  probably out of stock at your local branch (or the one where your order is prepared). Perhaps if you moved house you would be able to get it?

;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1697 on: 25 October, 2017, 05:29:56 pm »
We will either wait or send David on a search. There are half a dozen supermarkets within a mile and scores of other food outlets.

« Reply #1698 on: 25 October, 2017, 07:10:46 pm »
I'd look elsewhere, I think.

If the product isn't listed when you're logged in, I think it's likely either that your delivery store has delisted it, or that Sainsbury's has switched your delivery postcode to a different store. I'd be surprised if it came off the website simply because it is temporarily out of stock.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1699 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:00:04 pm »
Send them a message. I did this a couple of months ago and they looked up their pooter and told me when it would be in stock in my store.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.