Author Topic: Fuerteventura  (Read 2071 times)

Fuerteventura
« on: 31 December, 2013, 09:19:49 am »
Have always ridden on the road. Going to Jandia in the south in Jan for a week.

The roads dont look that appealing- thinking about hiring a mountain bike

As a MTB "virgin" am i going to be out of my depth off road or are there enough easyish trails- and where is the best place to get more info

Re: Fuerteventura
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2014, 01:23:51 pm »
Ha!  Hiring a MTB in Fuerteventura 16 years ago was a turning point in cycling for me.  Started commuting by bike as soon as I got back.  From memory it's fine, but you might need to get off and push for some bits and it's also worth asking at the hire shop about where you are/aren't allowed to ride.  The sun will be strong, so cover up, and wear a hat and sun cream even if it feels cool.  Take plenty of water and bear in mind that the cafes and shop will shut in the afternoon.

In case your Spanish is a bit rusty, it is effing windy.  The yellow sand on the east of the island has blown across from the Sahara.

Good luck!  Ride reports ----------------------->

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2014, 01:59:17 pm »
I hired a cheap MTB there once, in Corralejo. The plains covered with loose volcanic rocks varied from horrible to impossible to ride across, but there were some tracks. Across the north coast to El Cotillo was pleasant, & a reasonable way to get to a different beach.

There are some routes here -
http://www.bicyclemania.co.uk/Fuerteventuraindex.htm

Probably more if you look around.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2014, 09:57:59 am »
thanks for that- think I will take road kit as well and keep my options open to hire a road bike if the bumpy stuff looks too serious!