Author Topic: Winter tights  (Read 4720 times)

Re: Winter tights
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 01:45:37 pm »
I have never felt the need for braces, the elasticated waist works well for me.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 02:09:27 pm »
I got these for Christmas. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-womens-corrente-wind-waist-tight/
I hate pads, but that was easy to remove with the stitch ripper from my sewing box.  I wore them the other day when the temperature was hovering around freezing and was toasty warm. I think they would still be warm if it dropped a few more degrees.  Mine are size small and they fit me fine at 5'2" and size 10/12.  If your legs are slim, they might be a bit less close fitting than tights should be...less stretched on me than other tights, and, I think my thighs are larger than the norm (all muscle, of course! )  Nice high waist at the back, which I appreciated on a chilly ride. Saw the price when I looked them up and acknowledge they are a bit pricey...whether they are worth it will depend on how well they wear and how long they last, upon which I can't comment yet.

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 02:17:32 pm »
+1
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 04:25:07 pm »
+1

Do you wear padded shorts or bibs underneath or go commando?

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 04:37:21 pm »
I never wear padded shorts, never got on with them as the cause me a lot of soreness. Under these tights I just wear normal boxer underpants.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 04:44:32 pm »
I got these for Christmas. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-womens-corrente-wind-waist-tight/
I hate pads, but that was easy to remove with the stitch ripper from my sewing box. I wore them the other day when the temperature was hovering around freezing and was toasty warm. I think they would still be warm if it dropped a few more degrees.  Mine are size small and they fit me fine at 5'2" and size 10/12.  If your legs are slim, they might be a bit less close fitting than tights should be...less stretched on me than other tights, and, I think my thighs are larger than the norm (all muscle, of course! )  Nice high waist at the back, which I appreciated on a chilly ride. Saw the price when I looked them up and acknowledge they are a bit pricey...whether they are worth it will depend on how well they wear and how long they last, upon which I can't comment yet.
The good old quick unpick!  :thumbsup: I must get around to getting one, one day.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 03:08:41 pm »
Was this thread specifically asking about women's tights? I just found this review of five pairs, from £9.99 to £170, not in your conventional cycling press:
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/nov/20/womens-winter-bib-tights-rapha-aldi-cafeducycliste-lecol-dhb
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 10:13:37 pm »
<shameless plug>There's a review of women's winter tights in the new issue of BikesEtc, on sale now.</shameless plug>

iirc the Castelli Sorpasso (non-bib) were our reviewer's favourites.

I can understand the preference for non-bib for women but personally I hate elasticated waistbands for cycling gear. Also the mere idea of boxers under Lycra makes me feel physically sick. (Boxers under jeans is bad enough.)

Personal favourite at the moment are the Sportful Fiandre NoRain bibtights (same material as Castelli Nanoflex aiui). Warm and mostly waterproof. General rule with Sportful stuff seems to be to order at least two sizes up though.

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 09:44:35 pm »
Just wondering if any of you folks out there can recommend what are the warmest tights for winter riding?  They will probably have to be windstopper and thick fabric as well as I feel the cold a lot these days.

Endura Equipe tights with merino knee warmesr are working well for me at 0-2c range currently; also very good combination have been Rapha deep winter longs with bib shorts and knee warmers in same temp range. Only this winter in the low temps recently have I used knee warmers under bib tights and it` been a revelation  :thumbsup: cosy cosy warm ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

AAO

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 11:31:48 pm »
Update on my Aldi Winter Tights.
They are significantly less durable than previous years' versions. My 6 year old grey ones are going strong apart from a broken zip handle. These I use for dirty rides. Last year's version are still good. This year's have needed the pad sewing back in and the outside has frayed badly.
Good job they are cheap as chips or I'd be less than pleased.

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2015, 08:51:11 am »
Bought a pair of unpadded Endura Thermolite ladies winter tights off the sale rack in Cycle Surgery yesterday.  Plan was to wear them when it rains a bit, as the lycra beads off the rain fairly well, and dries quickly.  My commute isn't very long on the Brompton and I don't usually favour lycra.

In dry cold weather I have mostly been wearing the black skinny jeans I wear to the office as our dress code is fairly casual - the black ones pass as slim trousers.  I then only take a change of top.  Where it has been cold I have worn Uniqlo footless Heattech tights underneath.

Wore the Enduras this morning as it was raining, didn't need the thermals underneath (would have done under normal trousers at same temp in dry).  The windproof bit was most excellent, felt comfy.  I bought a size 12 (medium) but probably should have bought the size 10 as there is some room around the bum and thighs, but didn't 'droop' too much.  Tempted to go back and buy another pair so I have one to wear and one to wash when the weather's mucky, I was that impressed with them.

I have several pairs of waterproof overtrousers that I have acquired over the years, but it's hard to avoid the rustly fabric.

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2015, 11:30:14 am »
Ah, as someone with substantial lard reserves on bum and thighs, I really rate those Enduras - means you can get them in a size that fits the bum without an extra 6" of leg to roll up. 

Agreed about their performance in the wet - light rain beads off and evaporates, and they do a half decent job of keeping you warm when it's soaking wet too.
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 07:39:43 pm »
In November I bought some Gore Thermo Bib longs around £56.00 - I though with a good name, I'd give them a try.

They are not good. Around 3000 miles on them.

I have worn a hole in the bum, yet my saddle is smooth Brooks leather, with no sharp edges.

The knees are starting to unstitch.

The pad is excessively bulky. 

They are not particularly warm.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 05:13:47 pm »
Rapha Classic Winter Tights........

A big thumbs down from me.

The elastic weave in the fabric is coming apart and they're covered in white patches and going brown.

The stitching in the bum where the 4 seams meet and on the back is coming undone.

18 months old, ....ing expensive and falling apart. >:(

Jeez

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 05:28:23 pm »
they're covered in white patches and going brown.

You're supposed to wash them between uses.  ;)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 10:29:58 pm »
Sorpasso bibs all the way for me. You can usually get them for around £80 a year in the sales. I am now well supplied for the next few years!

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 11:27:40 pm »
Mrs B finished the winter still very happy with her Aldi (padded, no bib) tights. She can't find anything wrong with them - except perhaps that they're not fashionista-fodder.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 10:15:32 am »
Rapha Classic Winter Tights........

A big thumbs down from me.

The elastic weave in the fabric is coming apart and they're covered in white patches and going brown.

The stitching in the bum where the 4 seams meet and on the back is coming undone.

18 months old, ....ing expensive and falling apart. >:(

Jeez

I'd contact Rapha and see what they say. I know people who've had Rapha stuff replaced or swapped because it didn't meet expectations. Worth a phone call...