Author Topic: Heartbeat 400  (Read 14568 times)

Heartbeat 400 GPX or TCX
« Reply #25 on: 20 April, 2015, 07:10:49 pm »
Just started planning for Saturday having cleaned and sorted after Plains this weekend.
Anyone got a GPX or TCX file I can beg steal or borrow in order to save a bit of planning time?
Cheers

Dave Pratt

Re: Heartbeat 400
« Reply #26 on: 20 April, 2015, 07:50:46 pm »
Thanks for additional food options, if I find details of any others I'll add them to the list.

I'm looking at cycling route options into Preston from the South.  What's the surface like on route 55 to Bramber Bridge (and does it have akward barriers)?  Which roads are ok and which are best avoided? 

Thanks.

Are you using the A6 or A49 to come up from Cheshire?  If A6, don't start following 55 on the south side of Chorley, stay on the A6 all the way to M6 J29.  At the junction, follow the roundabout to the M6 North on slip, just before going down the slip turn Left onto cycle path (sharp turn); about 300m to the Hob Inn.  From here follow 55 into Avenham Park Preston about 5 km, OK for tandems, though watch out for the low head room tunnel (dismount)

If using A49, follow to the Hob Inn and turn Left onto 55, then as above.
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #27 on: 22 April, 2015, 07:46:48 pm »
with 321's help I made a gpsies track nd it seems to have done something weird and made it 512 miles http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=rszbefmmzixajuym AARRGGHH

billyam998

« Reply #28 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:11:33 pm »
My new mac really isn't the tool for trying to make a route for this, coupled with the route sheet from hell I'm on the verge of giving up before I've started  ::-)

Not happy.

« Reply #29 on: 22 April, 2015, 09:07:12 pm »
with 321's help I made a gpsies track nd it seems to have done something weird and made it 512 miles http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=rszbefmmzixajuym AARRGGHH

If you scroll across the altitude data you'll see that you've set the route up to go around twice. Just don't set off on the second lap and you'll be fine.

billyam998

« Reply #30 on: 22 April, 2015, 10:15:28 pm »
that's  what I eventually figured out haha, god knows how I'd managed that. thanks for confirming what I thought.

« Reply #31 on: 23 April, 2015, 12:18:04 pm »
The weather is looking fairly favourable. Possibly a bit of rain here an there but otherwise some decent temperature and not too cold at night. Tailwind out and possibly tailwind down the A6 to finish.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #32 on: 23 April, 2015, 06:37:49 pm »
Thanks to all those for entering the Heartbeat 400. Everyone who's entered should have by now familiarised themselves with the route-sheet and event information that was forwarded by either post/e-mail last week.

The start: The community centre will be open from about 05:00 am onwards for breakfast (typically cereal/toast) if anyone wants it. The event will start at 06:00 am prompt as per instructions. All the controls are a mixture of cafes and petrol stations.

For those that have read the route-sheet in advance you'll have noticed it's 109 km to the first control at Ripon. The BP/Spar north of the city centre as per route-sheet is normally used (on the Pendle 600 anyway). Just before the petrol station you'll pass through the market square where there's plenty of cafe's and IIRC a Greggs, all of which should provide you with a till receipt on request.

At Goathland, there's a selection of souvenir shops on the right-hand side opposite the village green. The Moors Coffee Shop and Tearoom are aware of the event and are expecting you. The Cafe normally closes at about 5:30 pm. Anybody arriving after this time (control officially closes at 6:44 pm) should obtain a till receipt from the pub (Goathland Hotel) a bit further up on the right. The pub closes at 11:00 pm, but only serves food 7:00 - 8:00 pm. I suspect most (if not all) will have passed through before the cafes close! For those that have been to Goathland before and got the T-shirt there's a small Tearoom on the left beside the mini-O just before you enter the village which I suppose you could use as a control if you wish. Obviously, with Goathland being a popular tourist attraction it's not the cheapest place in the world (a fact not a criticism). A coffee and cake can set you back nearly a fiver.

Richmond is a free control. The petrol station (a Harvest Energy - which I have to confess I'd never heard of before I saw the one in Richmond) closes at 10:00 pm. Anybody arriving after this time might have to get an ATM receipt. Again, I suppose at 279 km most will be through by 10:00 pm anyway.

Lancaster is a petrol station on the route. It's only about 36 km to the finish and is a case of just grabbing a receipt. They've already been informed that the cyclists will be passing through at all hours throughout the night.

Just a note from my post earlier that the cafe in Coxwold is just off the route.

As ever, there'll be some refreshments available at the finish (typically sandwiches & cakes). Just bear in mind we need to vacate the community centre at 09:00 am prompt Sunday morning.

Look forward to seeing you all this Saturday.

Still not too late to enter.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Heartbeat 400

Ang

« Reply #33 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:50:51 pm »
Somebody earlier asked for a gps file? I've created one that goes as far as Garstang: https://connect.garmin.com/course/9300602

« Reply #34 on: 25 April, 2015, 07:27:22 pm »
Passed a number of riders heading down towards Egton as we were climbing up the other way. The weather was grim out in the NY Moors this afternoon with rain and a pretty low temperature. It's stopped raining now though and the wind has started to drop so it should make for a pleasant return leg.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #35 on: 25 April, 2015, 08:35:41 pm »
Passed a number of riders heading down towards Egton as we were climbing up the other way. The weather was grim out in the NY Moors this afternoon with rain and a pretty low temperature. It's stopped raining now though and the wind has started to drop so it should make for a pleasant return leg.

Hugo - you and JvdP making the moors look easy still?

Good luck to all the Heartbeat 400 riders today / tonight.

« Reply #36 on: 25 April, 2015, 09:05:06 pm »

Hugo - you and JvdP making the moors look easy still?

Not today! The second half of the ride was very hard. Wet and freezing cold. Was almost glad when the road went up as at least it generated a bit of warmth!

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #37 on: 26 April, 2015, 02:44:22 pm »
Well that was a tester, on several counts.

Good start with stiff tailwind out. I stopped for a Full English in Pateley Br and to recover from Greenhow. Watched rest of field drift by as I munched, then set off to catch up in Ripon. Stopped again in Bylands Abbey cafe for a mega raspberry flapjack which I regretted as I tackled the climb out of Wass. Then super descent into Helmsley - quite probably where I got my 71 kph max speed (the other descents were too tight, steep, hairy, etc, to let the brakes off and fly).
I'd never ridden east out of Coxwold before, so from there around to Stokesley was all new to me, and a bit of a shocker. My "leggings off and mid-layer off" state didn't last long, Wass to Rosedale, where drizzle/rain/low cloud had set in and conditions were grim to Egton. Glad I'm on disk brakes for those descents and the damp - I could let both brakes drag down them. Saw a few riders walking down The Chimney and I don't blame them either.
I struggled after Goathland - digestive upsets (High 5 not working well for me today) and repetitive short, sharp, shockers getting to my head. I was glad to get to Stokesley and familiar roads (well, Wiggy 300 in reverse) and flatlands again. And a chance to dry out in the setting evening sun ready for a cool night.
Treated myself to a restaurant curry in Richmond - The Amontola, by the 1st roundabout. Chicken tikka starter with naan and Bombay Potatoes - and a beer. £12 well spent, albeit relaxed (slow) service using up an hour of precious time. (Other restaurants are available along Queen Street). At least the westerly wind had swung round to the north, with the cold front passing over, and wind speed had dropped a bit too, so a steady plod to Hawes ensued. But it was cold and I succumbed to a coffee and a beer in the warmth of a pub (and yet another loo stop!), much to the interest to Hawes' clientel as I drifted in at 11.30pm.
I then chased Bob Bialek and another chap over Ribblehead and we grouped together into Lancaster. Succumbed to the warmth of a MacDonald's coffee (and loo stop, yet again) and the strange 3am nightlife of Lancaster's youth.
Nice cruise back to HQ down the A6, wind assisted, with a group of 5, to finish at 5:30, just ahead of my projected target, but it was damn cold - frost on cars and lawns. Andy C suggested it had been -4 degC at times.

So, I struggled with the High 5 again. My eating strategy was fine, getting the right balance of protein and carbs, and "wind assistance problems" aside, the legs kept good. But, I'll need to get my head around the N Yorks Moors quickly - Pendle 600 suddenly does seem so appealing! Ah, I've already entered - doh!  :facepalm:
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #38 on: 26 April, 2015, 03:52:08 pm »
Well that was a tester, on several counts.

Good start with stiff tailwind out. I stopped for a Full English in Pateley Br and to recover from Greenhow. Watched rest of field drift by as I munched, then set off to catch up in Ripon. Stopped again in Bylands Abbey cafe for a mega raspberry flapjack which I regretted as I tackled the climb out of Wass. Then super descent into Helmsley - quite probably where I got my 71 kph max speed (the other descents were too tight, steep, hairy, etc, to let the brakes off and fly).
I'd never ridden east out of Coxwold before, so from there around to Stokesley was all new to me, and a bit of a shocker. My "leggings off and mid-layer off" state didn't last long, Wass to Rosedale, where drizzle/rain/low cloud had set in and conditions were grim to Egton. Glad I'm on disk brakes for those descents and the damp - I could let both brakes drag down them. Saw a few riders walking down The Chimney and I don't blame them either.
I struggled after Goathland - digestive upsets (High 5 not working well for me today) and repetitive short, sharp, shockers getting to my head. I was glad to get to Stokesley and familiar roads (well, Wiggy 300 in reverse) and flatlands again. And a chance to dry out in the setting evening sun ready for a cool night.
Treated myself to a restaurant curry in Richmond - The Amontola, by the 1st roundabout. Chicken tikka starter with naan and Bombay Potatoes - and a beer. £12 well spent, albeit relaxed (slow) service using up an hour of precious time. (Other restaurants are available along Queen Street). At least the westerly wind had swung round to the north, with the cold front passing over, and wind speed had dropped a bit too, so a steady plod to Hawes ensued. But it was cold and I succumbed to a coffee and a beer in the warmth of a pub (and yet another loo stop!), much to the interest to Hawes' clientel as I drifted in at 11.30pm.
I then chased Bob Bialek and another chap over Ribblehead and we grouped together into Lancaster. Succumbed to the warmth of a MacDonald's coffee (and loo stop, yet again) and the strange 3am nightlife of Lancaster's youth.
Nice cruise back to HQ down the A6, wind assisted, with a group of 5, to finish at 5:30, just ahead of my projected target, but it was damn cold - frost on cars and lawns. Andy C suggested it had been -4 degC at times.

So, I struggled with the High 5 again. My eating strategy was fine, getting the right balance of protein and carbs, and "wind assistance problems" aside, the legs kept good. But, I'll need to get my head around the N Yorks Moors quickly - Pendle 600 suddenly does seem so appealing! Ah, I've already entered - doh!  :facepalm:

Congratulations! Would love to see someone's write up of the Heartbeat in Arrivee. Curry in Richmond - genius!

« Reply #39 on: 26 April, 2015, 06:29:54 pm »
Yes, well done Graeme!

Ang

« Reply #40 on: 26 April, 2015, 09:13:39 pm »
A massive well done to everyone who finished. I bailed just before 12.00 in Leyburn as I was freezing cold even with all my kit on and didn't fancy the prospect of a sub-zero climb over Ribblehead at 3 in the morning.
I was lucky enough to take the last spare room in the Golden Lion Hotel and caused a bit of a stir with the regulars when I burst through the pub door in my cycling kit after closing time looking a bit bedraggled! The landlady was lovely and very welcoming - I can highly recommend this place if anyone ever happens to be passing through Leyburn in need of a B&B.
Anyway they all thought I was completely bonkers and, if nothing else, at least I've given them something to talk about in the pub for the next week or so.

« Reply #41 on: 27 April, 2015, 12:06:26 am »
I had a trip out on the motorbike as a technical exercise in film-making. The aim being to get a balance of interviews, action and background for a sequence of about 5 minutes. I suffered from sciatica after a similar effort in bad weather on the Pendle 600 in 2013, so I only went as far as Ripon.

https://youtu.be/zB1HoQRgK28

« Reply #42 on: 27 April, 2015, 06:02:04 am »
I suspect I was the first DNF of the day. I started well but between Grassington and Pateley Bridge I couldn't seem to get any power going up hills. I hoped a bit of a rest and a feed at Ripon would sort that but I pretty much bounced off Wass Bank. The descent into Helmsley was the last good bit of the ride. As I pulled out of town the temperature just seemed to fall off a cliff. By Kirkbymoorside I feeling pretty cold and my hands were suffering so I decided to press on for Pickering and buy some gloves. I stopped in a great little bike shop there and bought a nice comfy pair and some hydration tablets. However, I was already feeling pretty bad and my cold was rearing it's head again. I chucked on some extra layers and started up the road for Goathland but only lasted fifteen minutes. I couldn't seem to get any energy going into the headwind and knew I probably didn't have enough clothing to tackle a close to zero overnight section. I wasn't in the mood for a miserable, slow freezing so turned around and headed south to Malton.

It's a bit of a shame because up to that point I had been really enjoying the route. However, it seemed a bit of a better option to limit my damage and come back for another ride later.

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #43 on: 27 April, 2015, 09:40:18 am »
That was a fantastic route, we particularly enjoyed beautiful scenic lanes.  The main roads on the night section had very little traffic.  Our brakes were fine on the three 1:3 descents which we did cautiously at low speed on the steepest sections.  It was very cold at night, we were prepared for temperatures close to zero but even wearing everything we were barely warm enough (someone said the temperature was -4 degrees).  The roads had apparently been gritted and ice was not a problem thankfully.  Our etrex30 gave a climbing figure of 5617m.  Many thanks to Andy, we are looking forward to the next one.

Thanks to Damon for the video.  It's a pity that we didn't take many photos.

...it's a pity they changed the sign at Rosedale Chimney Bank.  This is what it looked like in the sunshine ~1993...

« Reply #44 on: 27 April, 2015, 12:34:43 pm »
Remember seeing 321up flying down the hill towards Egton Bridge as we were climbing up, which prompted a discussion about brakes on tandems vs. wet roads and steep hills. Glad they held up OK! Chapeau to everyone who rode.

Andy Corless

« Reply #45 on: 27 April, 2015, 06:36:18 pm »
Another epic weekend's cycling through the Pennines with many more stories to tell.

Better start with the stats:

62 entered
40 started
31 finished

The ride started with some pleasant early morning riding through the Ribble Valley and the southernmost part of the Yorkshire Dales where the weather was pretty favourable. After Helmsley, the riders climbed up into the North Yorks' Moors; with thick fog and heavy rain to contend with persisting all the way through the national park.

Although the riders were well prepared to battle the expected rain and fog, no-body was quite prepared for the night-time's freezing temperatures plummeting well below freezing, possibly as low as -5. Riders were wearing up to 5-layers of clothing and still weren't warm enough! The windscreens of the riders' cars parked at the event HQ totally froze overnight.

I was given a climbing figure of 5600+ metres from somebody's GPS. I took some photo's of the riders on the route and copies will be forwarded to the Audax magazine editors for possible publication in a future edition of Arrivee.

Riders travelled from as far as Leicestershire; Buckinghamshire; London and Bristol in order to participate and I do hope their long journey's were worthwhile.

Thanks to all those who entered and took part, and commiserations to the few who didn't make it.

Thanks also to Damon Peacock for helping at the event HQ (both in the morning and finish) and for making the excellent video.

The provisional date for next year's event has been set for the weekend of 14-15 May 2016. This date isn't yet confirmed.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Heartbeat 400

« Reply #46 on: 28 April, 2015, 07:56:53 am »
Thanks for a great ride Andy.

I had to keep the faith a bit on the second stage - luckily, it flattened out considerably for the second half of the ride!
After the rain, it was a lovely night ride crossing Ribblehead, with a half-moon and all the stars out. Very cold though - I was a bit gutted to arrive at the Shell garage in Lancaster and told the shop was closed. Trying to eat a pasty whilst dancing on the spot on the forecourt must have looked a bit odd to the local taxi drivers!

billyam998

« Reply #47 on: 28 April, 2015, 08:27:29 pm »
Another epic weekend's cycling through the Pennines with many more stories to tell.

Better start with the stats:

62 entered
40 started
31 finished

The ride started with some pleasant early morning riding through the Ribble Valley and the southernmost part of the Yorkshire Dales where the weather was pretty favourable. After Helmsley, the riders climbed up into the North Yorks' Moors; with thick fog and heavy rain to contend with persisting all the way through the national park.

Although the riders were well prepared to battle the expected rain and fog, no-body was quite prepared for the night-time's freezing temperatures plummeting well below freezing, possibly as low as -5. Riders were wearing up to 5-layers of clothing and still weren't warm enough! The windscreens of the riders' cars parked at the event HQ totally froze overnight.

I was given a climbing figure of 5600+ metres from somebody's GPS. I took some photo's of the riders on the route and copies will be forwarded to the Audax magazine editors for possible publication in a future edition of Arrivee.

Riders travelled from as far as Leicestershire; Buckinghamshire; London and Bristol in order to participate and I do hope their long journey's were worthwhile.

Thanks to all those who entered and took part, and commiserations to the few who didn't make it.

Thanks also to Damon Peacock for helping at the event HQ (both in the morning and finish) and for making the excellent video.

The provisional date for next year's event has been set for the weekend of 14-15 May 2016. This date isn't yet confirmed.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Heartbeat 400

The entered, started, completed stats make me even happier I persisted and got through, it was probably the toughest but also at the same time the best audax I have ever ridden. I completely enjoyed it, nice lot of people, good places to stop, it actually made sense not to sit down for too long. Only downside for me was my loss of a battery pack at the garage in Richmond, I learnt a lot about battery life and, what little light is needed. Cheers to Andy for organising and, appearing at Goathland and lifting my spirits when I needed it most, once it dried out the return to richmond before darkness fell was pretty amazing, well - slightly more amazing than the rest of it anyway. After Richmond I decided to stop at a pub not far after the waterfalls which you could hear but not see, 2 superb pots of tea and a warm infront of an open fire did the trick and helped me over what was actually a very tough return leg to Lancaster, Lancaster to Preston was a memorable 4 up chain gang effort along the A6 into the dawn arriving back at 05:45, 2 hours later than expected, but it didn't matter,  I was completely out of my comfort Zone for most of the ride, but i think I shall return, thanks again - Bill, (the bloke that doesn't do hills on the video)   

« Reply #48 on: 28 April, 2015, 09:01:49 pm »
Thanks for a great ride Andy.

I had to keep the faith a bit on the second stage - luckily, it flattened out considerably for the second half of the ride!
After the rain, it was a lovely night ride crossing Ribblehead, with a half-moon and all the stars out. Very cold though - I was a bit gutted to arrive at the Shell garage in Lancaster and told the shop was closed. Trying to eat a pasty whilst dancing on the spot on the forecourt must have looked a bit odd to the local taxi drivers!

the £2.10 lancaster hot chocolate was excellent..........

kept me going down the A6!!

Andy Corless

« Reply #49 on: 28 April, 2015, 09:03:07 pm »
Thanks again to all those that participated. I've just had some of the photo's back, I'll try and upload some of them later in the week.

Friday's Tour de Yorkshire duplicates some of the roads in the North Yorks' Moors used in the Heartbeat 400. ITV4 are describing it as an 'ostensibly flat stage'.

I think there must be something wrong with my dictionary......

Andy Corless