Author Topic: groundeffect.co.nz  (Read 6480 times)

Dave

groundeffect.co.nz
« on: April 09, 2008, 09:50:42 pm »
The arrival of their new catalogue (winter 2008 ;)) today has encouraged me to post a recommendation for these guys.

I've bought a load of stuff from them over the past few years and it is really excellent stuff. Good quality fabric, excellent merino. The shorts, both baggie and lycra are superb. And the sizing is spot on.

Prices are very reasonable and delivery times, considering the stuff is coming from NZ, are amazingly quick.

:thumbsup:

Re: groundeffect.co.nz
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 09:54:32 pm »
Agreed...  But don't try putting stuff in the pockets of a lightweight jersey unless you like your jerseys knee length.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 09:59:50 pm »
A lot of it is good stuff and delivery from NZ is remarkably fast - and charges are pre-paid. (In fact it may well be that the stuff is posted from within the UK, not sure).

Re the sizing, I find it is on the generous side compared to the usual UK / Euro offerings. An extra large is just that.

nicknack

• Fledgling Swampy
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 10:01:20 pm »
Do you get stung for VAT and a Royal Mail handling charge? Last time I ordered some t-shirts from the antipodes I did. VAT is fair enough but I thought a handling charge was what postage was. Or are they charging you for charging you?  >:(
This old man came rolling home.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 10:05:50 pm »
Do you get stung for VAT and a Royal Mail handling charge? Last time I ordered some t-shirts from the antipodes I did. VAT is fair enough but I thought a handling charge was what postage was. Or are they charging you for charging you?  >:(

There was a time when they took UK VAT off before charging you, but I don't think they do that anymore  :(

The packages tend to be very small, squidgy and inocuous, which may be the reason why I've never got done for customs/handling on any of the orders I've had from them

steveB

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 10:09:44 pm »
I've bought some stuff from groundeffect, their light tops are OK, the winter fleece* with Windfoil is superb quality, I think it cost a few bob, but it was worth it.  And like what others say it was pretty fast from NZ.  It definitely came from NZ 'cos all the import info was on the package label.

edit:  *it was the Frosy Boy, NZ$159 (I've just had me book through), worth every penny

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 10:35:04 pm »
I love my GE winter merino top. It gets worn every day commuting when it's not summer (so most of the year here) and it's still looking great. - Well, except for that one patch on the shoulder where Mojo keeps getting his clooks stuck!
Keep meaning to buy some more but never got round to it yet.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:51:23 pm »

No, I just paid the marked price on the site and the postage and that was it. I think you are pre-paying the VAT at time of purchase.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 11:29:13 am »
It says somewhere on the site that VAT is added on, I checked this when I bought my Popsicle top, it arrived in less than a week and has been worn very much ever since.

When I came off, I checked to see if I had damaged my GE top before realising that my elbow was fractured. There was a big blackish mark where I might have skidded on the ground, but this came off in the wash. And it was fun taking it off in the hospital when I was in a fair bit of pain, but I was determined that it wouldn't be cut if I could help it!

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 10:00:58 pm »
I got the winter gloves. Decent quality but I probably wouldn't have chosen them had I picked them up in a shop here.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

Pedaldog

• AKA Dogbad.
    • The Vapers Den.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 10:07:31 pm »
Got the catalogue this morning. Haven't bought from them yet but seen and heard nothing but good reviews of them so I might in the future.
Know-nothing Bozo.

mr endon

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 10:31:03 pm »
I've bought from them a couple of times. Very happy with the gear. Both times GroundEffect, anticipating that I'd have to pay duty or VAT, deducted NZ tax from the catalogue price. Neither time was I clobbered with any charges this end. Cheaper than catalogue price, in other words.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 11:28:23 pm »
I think they started including UK VAT/duty in the prices charged a couple of years ago.

Before that, there was a reasonable chance of not getting charged, but if you were caught there was a £10 handling charge from the post office on top of the VAT/duty, which meant that stuff cost more than UK. People grumbled, so now they have some sort of arrangement to send stuff duty paid and there's no handling charges.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 09:13:09 am »
Another recommendation for Ground Effect.  I particularly like the Daddy Longlegs:  warm, fairly good in the rain and quick drying.  Well made and comfortable too.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 09:36:50 am »

There was a time when they took UK VAT off before charging you, but I don't think they do that anymore  :(

The packages tend to be very small, squidgy and inocuous, which may be the reason why I've never got done for customs/handling on any of the orders I've had from them

I can remember three different arangements:

Firstly they charged NZ VAT equivalent. After a while people moaned that as it was an export this wasn't due, so they changed to

Secondly, knocked the NZ VAT off

Both of these meant that UK VAT was due on entry, depending on whether or not it was picked up (I doubt that "is it small and squidgy?" is a part of the selection process). If it was there was also the dubious charge levied by the mail company as a fee for collecting the tax, so they switched to

Currently, charging UK VAT and presumably remitting it to the EU. Now everyone pays the VAT but no parcelforce charges.

All in all they sell good kit and are nice people to deal with. The current exchange rate is not quite as attractive as it was a few years ago though.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

bobajobrob

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 03:12:12 pm »
I'm looking for a SS top and optionally a long sleeved base layer for winter. Any recommendations which ones to go for?

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 09:08:09 pm »
I have a Submerino long sleeve base layer which I rate highly.

I also used to have a Manta Ray SS top until some toerag stole it.  It was OK - but nothing special.

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 11:22:36 pm »
I have the Median Strip SS jersey. It's one of these Merino / synthetic combinations. It's OK - just ok. Sizing is definitely on the large side - I am sure I'd like the jersey more if it was not so baggy. It doesn't have the attention to detail of the Rapha equivalent.

Pretty well made and with two full width zipped pockets at the back. Good value with the current exchange rate but I'll choose a size down next time.

And that sewn-in tube patch idea is bollocks.

Regulator

• Got a thing for rubber...
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 09:36:18 am »
I have the Median Strip SS jersey. It's one of these Merino / synthetic combinations. It's OK - just ok. Sizing is definitely on the large side - I am sure I'd like the jersey more if it was not so baggy. It doesn't have the attention to detail of the Rapha equivalent.
Pretty well made and with two full width zipped pockets at the back. Good value with the current exchange rate but I'll choose a size down next time.

And that sewn-in tube patch idea is bollocks.

::-)  Spot the Rapha queen....   

:P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 10:23:55 am »
 ;D

I own precisely 2 Rapha items, one ageing jersey and a pair of rarely-worn-cos-they-look-a-bit-weird fixie shorts.

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 05:52:23 pm »
The women's stuff fits fine, I checked the sizing chart carefully and the 'small' fits well (I'm a 12).

Went out in the summer jersey, long sleeved Flying Nun today because my arms have already been burned in the midday sun once this year which means they will burn all the easier next time.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 06:16:34 pm »
I prefer them baggy!  My Median Strip jersey is always the first one I reach for. I'm also pleased with the daddy longlegs tights and will be buying some merino when I next get paid.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

bikenerd

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 12:18:13 pm »
I have a fleece gilet and Baked Alaska merino (well, strictly it's sportwool) and fleece winter jersey.  I love the Baked Alaska.  It works well in quite a variety of conditions; from the freezing depths of winter, where I'll wear it with a sportwool long sleeve vest (sorry, baselayer) and maybe a windproof top if it's really cold; to spring where I'll just wear a Helly Hansen Lifa short sleeve vest.
The gilet is a bit tight around the neck but, other than that, does what it's supposed to.
I've just ordered their long sleeve merino summer jersey after getting sunburnt arms last weekend.
I think the stuff they produce is good value.  Being more of a tourist / randonneur than a racer I like a baggier cut and understated styling.  I'm not a fan of team kit and Rapha's image leaves me especially cold! :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 10:30:44 pm »
Ground effect has made a mint on this forum with this thread and other. But what can I say other than great service and top stuff.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 05:46:05 pm »
I've been trying out the Ristretto sleeveless base layer today: really warm, comfortable and not itchy at all. Well worth the £25 inc p&p

:thumbsup:

Ground effect has made a mint on this forum with this thread and other. But what can I say other than great service and top stuff.

Absolutely! More than worthwhile them attending Cycleshow, I should think.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.