Author Topic: Another What Hub? question  (Read 4974 times)

Another What Hub? question
« on: 21 July, 2015, 10:45:14 am »
The Steamroller is due for an overhaul after sitting idle in the shed for over a year.
I'm looking at building a new wheel set probably on H Plus SON Archetypes, Shimano dynamo on the front and new rear hub.
It's a while since I've looked at fixed hubs and things have gone up in price slightly just lately. Looked at Goldtec but are a bit steep at £160. I quite fancy the Paul track hub but this is probably my outer limit at £110.
Are there any other hubs I should consider or can you recommend any?

Cheers

Chris

Re: Another What Hub? question
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:50:34 am »
That price is for the pro version of the Goldtec with ceramic bearings, the standard ones are £95. As for what else to look at, Miche Primato are good value, long lasting, but not as serviceable when they do finally wear out.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:56:33 am »
That price is for the pro version of the Goldtec with ceramic bearings, the standard ones are £95. As for what else to look at, Miche Primato are good value, long lasting, but not as serviceable when they do finally wear out.

:facepalm: Got it thanks. Didn't scroll down far enough after the shock of seeing the other price!

Are Goldtecs still the 'go to' hubs for all weather fit and forget riding?

I've also looked at the Velo Solo front disc hub conversion with bolt on sprocket. Anyone running one of those?

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2015, 11:35:26 am »
The Goldtec hubs are only available in unfinished aluminium which seems like a terrible idea to me.  Look out for corrosion/oxidation on the surface if you're going to use it in the winter, or rain, or even just outside.

Not used a front hub as rear, but have used a VeloSolo cog on the disc side of a 135 mm hub - very nicely made, easy to swap and worked well but didn't have it long enough to see how durable the cogs are.  The converted front hubs are a nice clean solution for a bike with rim brakes.

Currently using a Surly Ultra New disc/fixed hub, seems nicely made if a little heavy.

rob

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2015, 02:22:30 pm »
Mt Goldtecs have previously been very reliable but I've just had one fail with a couple of cracks between the spoke holes.

I still have a couple in active use but may switch when they give out.

I have an old pair of wheels with Phil Woods on them which are lovely to behold but a little heavy.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2015, 02:52:05 pm »

I have an old pair of wheels with Phil Woods on them which are lovely to behold but a little heavy.

Paul Hewitt told me not to bother with Phil Woods hub for riding audaxes on in the UK because the Goldtec are better sealed. I've been happy with my wheels Hewitt built for me - Goldtec with Open Pros.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

rob

« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2015, 05:07:37 pm »

Paul Hewitt this me not to bother with Phil Woods hub for riding audaxes on in the UK because the Goldtec are better sealed. I've been happy with my wheels Hewitt built for me - Goldtec with Open Pros.

I've used Goldtec on open pros for years.   This year's audax bike has a goldtec on the back and a hope mono on the front both laced onto open pros (36h).   The Phil Woods were put on the Condor when I bought it as my 40th present to me.   They're in the garage as they need new rims, but still run smooth after 2 years in all weathers.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2015, 05:50:48 pm »
(Checks how much Royce hubs are these days)

(Decides against recommendation)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jakob

« Reply #8 on: 22 July, 2015, 02:03:04 am »
My dura-ace 7600 have been solid.
http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Shimano-Dura-Ace-7600-Series-Large-Flange-Track-Hub---Rear/m-20426.aspx

You can get them in a 110mm version as well

« Reply #9 on: 22 July, 2015, 07:56:21 am »
Thanks for the recommendations. Looked at Royce and was wondering why they weren't clearly showing the prices on the website, added one to the shopping basket and promptly fainted.
Also looked at the Shimano. Correct me if I'm wrong but are the bearings sealed? I read elsewhere that they aren't sealed so not much good in all weather conditions?

Chris N

« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2015, 10:29:17 am »
Exploded view (http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/ev/EV-HB-7600-R-728A.pdf) shows a dust cap but no other seal.  I wouldn't want to use them year round unless you were going to service them regularly.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2015, 11:22:55 am »
i can recommend tensile hubs, they are fairly light and use allen bolts rather than 15mm nuts (which means you don't need to lug around a hefty spanner). bearings are quick and easy to replace, you can chose whichever ones you like as long as they are 6000 size.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2015, 04:16:24 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations. Looked at Royce and was wondering why they weren't clearly showing the prices on the website, added one to the shopping basket and promptly fainted.

Depravo the Roadrat has a Royce on his back wheel but I'm bloody sure I didn't pay anything like that for it in 2006.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13 on: 22 July, 2015, 04:29:38 pm »
Exploded view (http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/ev/EV-HB-7600-R-728A.pdf) shows a dust cap but no other seal.  I wouldn't want to use them year round unless you were going to service them regularly.

Yep that's what I've heard that they need a lot of TLC. I'm afraid I'm not the best at regular maintenance / cleaning so want something that's fit and forget!

« Reply #14 on: 22 July, 2015, 04:33:23 pm »

Depravo the Roadrat has a Royce on his back wheel but I'm bloody sure I didn't pay anything like that for it in 2006.

2006 was about the time I rediscovered cycling so every time I buy something now I always notice how much more stuff seems to cost. Shorts are the worst. I don't exactly spend a lot of money on normal clothes so why is it reasonable for me to spend over £100 on a pair of bib shorts?!?

Jakob

« Reply #15 on: 22 July, 2015, 05:50:23 pm »

Yep that's what I've heard that they need a lot of TLC. I'm afraid I'm not the best at regular maintenance / cleaning so want something that's fit and forget!

They come with a rubber seal that you can choose to install.  I haven't done anything to mine since I got them ~7 years ago.

« Reply #16 on: 22 July, 2015, 06:30:23 pm »
Modern cartridge bearings with a rubber seal last for absolutely yonks1 in all weathers and are easy to replace. I certainly would never consider loose bearings now other than for sentimental reasons. They're not even cheaper.

[1] at least 30,000km, normally much more.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #17 on: 31 July, 2015, 05:51:05 pm »
I've also looked at the Velo Solo front disc hub conversion with bolt on sprocket. Anyone running one of those?

I'm running one of these this year, and so far so good. Works best with a 45mm chainline as the spacers are then symmetrical and wheel doesn't need to be dished. Does limit you to a single cog (no flip-flopping), but I carry another cog and could swap them in a couple of minutes if need be, not that I've done this yet.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #18 on: 31 July, 2015, 06:43:45 pm »
I've just built a new wheel with a Halo double-fixed hub. Looks good and feels very smooth.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 31 July, 2015, 08:18:04 pm »
The On-One track hubs have a good reputation and cost peanuts.  What spacing and drilling do you need?  This is usually the limiting factor; Sod's Law says that the cheaper hubs are only available for a wider spacing or fewer spokes than you wanted.

After my Goldtec flange failure (after only 3 years and maybe 7,000 miles) and their lack of interest in giving me a free or very cheap replacement*, I wouldn't touch them again.  Imagine if that had happened five months earlier on the Dun Run!

*they just offered me a free wheelbuild, which was of no interest as I build my own wheels anyway.  No hub should ever suffer a flange failure' even really crap ones don't, unless you lace them radially or something.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris N

« Reply #20 on: 31 July, 2015, 09:52:28 pm »
I've just built a new wheel with a Halo double-fixed hub. Looks good and feels very smooth.

From your photo, just built might be stretching it a bit.