Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017  (Read 107831 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017
« Reply #25 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:34:38 am »
I read the description as meaning 'the ride is regularly oversubscribed, and if so, the entry criteria will be AUK members first'.

« Reply #26 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:49:40 pm »
I read the description as meaning 'the ride is regularly oversubscribed, and if so, the entry criteria will be AUK members first'.
I read it as that also, bit naughty really - as AUK state events are open to all.

Also a bit self defeating, as from my experience it's the non-members that have a lower DNS & DNF rate.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #27 on: 03 December, 2015, 03:23:30 pm »
Just about to send off the entry form and cheque ... and was wondering what are my chances of actually getting a place.

Well, the sooner you get your entry in the post the more chance you'll have.
It was about 2/3rds full last time I used my Magic PowersTM to have a sneaky look 'behind the curtains' ... but with postal entry once can never be sure that Ritchie's postman isn't struggling up his drive with a bag bulging with entries just as I'm typing this.

« Reply #28 on: 03 December, 2015, 04:45:20 pm »

It was about 2/3rds full last time I used my Magic PowersTM to have a sneaky look 'behind the curtains' ... but with postal entry once can never be sure that Ritchie's postman isn't struggling up his drive with a bag bulging with entries just as I'm typing this.

Thanks for employing your Magic Powers and behind-the-curtains access on this one. Much appreciated.  :-)

There is a chance then .... but 2/3rds full already though ? That's a popular ride !

« Reply #29 on: 03 December, 2015, 08:14:31 pm »
my cheque's been cashed - one way to know the entry arrived :)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #30 on: 04 December, 2015, 06:34:20 am »
I read it as that also, bit naughty really - as AUK state events are open to all.

Also a bit self defeating, as from my experience it's the non-members that have a lower DNS & DNF rate.
Yes Mr Black Sheep I understand, but there also needs to be some benefit from being in AUK and I like this one  :thumbsup:

Steve
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #31 on: 05 December, 2015, 03:05:43 pm »
Well Steve, like others have stated/intimated the benefits are hard to find these days.

As per the FAQ  section on the AUK website.

Can anybody ride Audax UK's events?

Yes.
Although technically, AUK does not 'run' events - these are run by clubs or individuals under AUK's supervision.
When a non-member enters an event, there is a small additional fee over and above the usual entry fee, which gives the rider 'temporary membership' of AUK for the duration of the event. This is necessary for insurance reasons.

As an aside, there's not really such a thing as "non member", as anyone that enters an event is a member. Either by annual or five-year membership. Or event membership, for those that don't fall into either of the two former categories.

Then of course there are the true freeloaders, the CTC members. No need for any form of membership or on the day AUK membership.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #32 on: 03 May, 2016, 12:38:29 pm »
apologies if this is a no-no or has already been aswered somewhere, but does anyone know of a gpx for the 2016 route?

« Reply #34 on: 03 May, 2016, 04:59:27 pm »
many thanks indeed, Doity, you are a star

« Reply #35 on: 03 May, 2016, 06:29:05 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=96725.msg2009803#msg2009803

Its was a quick and dirty plotting and I've just had a closer look and there might be some minor mistakes such as taking minor roads alongside main road etc.  If I get time I'll do a clean version

« Reply #36 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:00:44 pm »
It's great that there are so many varied GPXs being posted, but can anyone help out a bone-idle lightweight lazy-arsed so-and-so wondering which if any is the definitive one for a rider who prioritises avoidance of steep climbs even at the expense of increased climbing and/or busier roads (asking for a friend)
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #37 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:10:59 pm »
It's great that there are so many varied GPXs being posted, but can anyone help out a bone-idle lightweight lazy-arsed so-and-so wondering which if any is the definitive one for a rider who prioritises avoidance of steep climbs even at the expense of increased climbing and/or busier roads (asking for a friend)

use route sheet  :thumbsup: that uses A470, B road Llanidloes to Staylittle. Basically once you`re @ Builth follow A470 to Llani; then TL to Staylittle on B road; then @ Staylittle TL SP Machynlleth mountain Rd; then A487 to Dolgellau etc enjoy there be hills (maybe dragons too  ;D )
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #38 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:16:54 pm »

use route sheet  :thumbsup: that uses A470, B road Llanidloes to Staylittle. Basically once you`re @ Builth follow A470 to Llani; then TL to Staylittle on B road; then @ Staylittle TL SP Machynlleth mountain Rd; then A487 to Dolgellau etc enjoy there be hills (maybe dragons too  ;D )

Or you could stay on the A470 all the way to Cemmaes Road then down the A489 into Machynlleth.
But a lot of that is on the return route, so I don't know why anyone would.

« Reply #39 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:22:25 pm »

Or you could stay on the A470 all the way to Cemmaes Road then down the A489 into Machynlleth.

Thereby omitting control at Llanidloes !!! and invalidating your ride
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #40 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:24:41 pm »

:thumbsup:
Even nearly two weeks ahead, as a BCM virgin I'm looking forward to this ride more than any other I can remember
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #41 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:25:07 pm »

Doh!
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #42 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:32:31 pm »

:thumbsup:
Even nearly two weeks ahead, as a BCM virgin I'm looking forward to this ride more than any other I can remember

and possibly, maybe, hopefully after this thoroughly crap, cold, shite last few weeks weather BCM might be blessed with some reasonably acceptable warmish and calmish weather :) see http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/uk/LD8 so a LOT to look, fwd to !

« Reply #43 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:36:36 pm »
Can't wait for this one ! Its been a great audax spring for me so far, lots of 2's, a 3 and two 4's ideal preparation and feeling ready

« Reply #44 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:57:31 pm »

Sorry that should have read - cutting back to the A470 after Llanidloes control  :facepalm:
It's still a silly idea though.

« Reply #45 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:13:09 pm »

Likewise. But I'm also shitting myself more than any other I can remember! (Well, except for PBP...)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #46 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:25:56 pm »
No need to shit yourself

...Until you get to Llandildoes.

I'm not doing the event but I'll be round and about for some of the route. Have a B&B in Dolgellau so will be going there first and then maybe a spin up to Beddgelert and back if I feel like it.

« Reply #47 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:42:29 pm »
No need to shit yourself

...Until you get to Llandildoes.

maybe , it`s a 150 / 150 km approx. split but a 1500 / 2300 m ascent split, so DR could well be right :)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #48 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:45:46 pm »
I have just printed the route sheet and the distance given to the second stop at Bistro Hafren is 161 km. No matter which way I plot it it comes out at about 145km.

Is this an error or have I plotted it incorrectly?

Also why does this section claim to go to Nant Yr Arian when the control is in Llanidloes?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #49 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:12:41 pm »
I have just printed the route sheet and the distance given to the second stop at Bistro Hafren is 161 km. No matter which way I plot it it comes out at about 145km.
Is this an error or have I plotted it incorrectly?
I get it to be even less than you.   It's nowhere near 23km from the RAB near Llangurig to the turn for Llanidloes.
There are differences in the other direction elsewhere.

Also why does this section claim to go to Nant Yr Arian when the control is in Llanidloes?
Doubtless a carry-over from previous edition which did indeed go to Nant Yr Arian.