Author Topic: Phew lobster claw gloves  (Read 1486 times)

Phew lobster claw gloves
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:12:28 pm »
With winter just around the corner I have started looking at my winter wardrobe, I wasnt really happy with my Sealskinz gloves I bought last winter, there wasn't anything really wrong with them but I didnt find them warm on cold (sub 2c) mornings and found myself having to clench my fists to get some warmth back into my hands. So on a bit of a tinterweb mooch I came across a review of Phew Lobster gloves which gave quite good remarks, so after a bit of a think I took a punt at £25 it wasn't too big a gamble.

They have arrived today and look well made obviously I have no idea what they are like in the cold and I guess I will find out at some point.

They are more of an outter glove on cold days so I plan on using some thin Edura gloves as inners and with this in mind I ordered size large as I am usually a medium although I have found I am a large with Eundura gloves so perhaps I am between two sizes. Anyway the Phew's come in a little on the small size and with testing with the inner gloves they are quite snug so I am glad I hadn't ordered a medium.

I will let you know how I get on  :thumbsup:

Eddington Number 75

Re: Phew lobster claw gloves
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:11:00 pm »
Which sealskin gloves were you wearing?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 03:24:46 pm »

I was quite happy with my red / black sealskin gloves last year and in colder conditions wore silk liners---a very effective combination

I`ve also used lobster claw outers but although warm found them a bit constrictive
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 04:14:52 pm »
I got some Sealskinz Lobster Mitts for £14 in Wiggle's sale this summer.

I can't imagine anything warmer.  They are certainly a lot warmer than any other glove that has seen me through previous winters.

I bought them for use on my (Winter) Single-speed because I find mitts and lobster-mitts a bit clumsy with STI lever.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:10:04 am »
Im not sure of the exact model.
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 09:10:52 am »
I bought them for use on my (Winter) Single-speed because I find mitts and lobster-mitts a bit clumsy with STI lever.
Yes I got mine for use with the flat bar commuter for the same reasons.
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 02:01:04 pm »
Im not sure of the exact model.
It would help if you had any idea. there is a huge range, from gloves barely thicker than a sock to things more suited to an artic expedition.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 07:24:46 pm »
I  bought last winter two pairs of ski gloves from TK Max. Work really well on v cold days. £10 and £14 per pair.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 06:20:25 pm »
I have found that any breathable warmish glove is good - but I use goretex over mitts to cut wind and wet - the combo has worked well for me for many years. What I hate is hands getting sweaty and wet in regular waterproof gloves.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird