Author Topic: Adele  (Read 9407 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Adele
« on: 22 November, 2015, 10:57:20 am »
Over-rated?  Over-hyped?

I know we're supposed to view her as our new National Treasure and she comes across as a pleasant enough person,  but with the exception of Rolling in the Deep, everything else I've heard leaves me pretty un-moved.  Someone Like You is quite a pretty song, and she sings it well now, but on the recording she screeches the third line of the chorus like an X-factor contestant, to the extent that I find it painful to listen to.

What does the panel think?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Re: Adele
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2015, 12:40:06 pm »
For someone that's been in the media eye for so many years since an early age, she seems to be remarkably grounded. That she writes her own material and sings it pretty well is commendable, but as it isn't the type of stuff I would choose to listen to, I don't feel it appropriate to comment other than to say I can see why people like her. For her target audience I can't see there is much bad to say about her.

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2015, 12:46:46 pm »
it isn't the type of stuff I would choose to listen to, [snip] I can see why people like her. For her target audience I can't see there is much bad to say about her.

Ditto. My sentiments exactly.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2015, 12:53:47 pm »
Hadn't heard of her before yesterday, when the Trib did a page on her. Didn't bother to read it.  Anyway, I just started playing Rolling in the Deep on YT.

Noisy crap.

But then I don't much like any pop music that hasn't been around for 30 years.  It needs to grow on me.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2015, 01:26:48 pm »
it isn't the type of stuff I would choose to listen to, [snip] I can see why people like her. For her target audience I can't see there is much bad to say about her.

Ditto. My sentiments exactly.

AOL.

DJ Random has decided to play me Atomic Rooster, Mogwai, The Stooges, The Deviants and Hendrix so far today, which is much more in tune ha ha with the sort of thing I need to wake me up on a Sunday (consults watch) afternoon.

ETA: she's less thoroughly annoying than Dido too :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2015, 02:01:13 pm »
Adele?  That's penguins isn't it?  </wowbagger>

« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2015, 02:28:01 pm »
For someone that's been in the media eye for so many years since an early age, she seems to be remarkably grounded. That she writes her own material and sings it pretty well is commendable, but as it isn't the type of stuff I would choose to listen to, I don't feel it appropriate to comment other than to say I can see why people like her. For her target audience I can't see there is much bad to say about her.

I think one of her biggest hits was written by a chap called Dylan.

« Reply #7 on: 22 November, 2015, 05:27:30 pm »
I quite like some of her songs, it's just her screeching her way through them I can't stand.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2015, 03:55:48 pm »
Just for a survey, could anyone who has posted a negative comment about Adele also re-post with their age please?

I'm just interested in finding out whether this is another case of old folk saying "This modern music is all just noise isn't it Doris?".

My Gran thought the same about the Beatles.

Rather than focus on an obviously gifted song-writer and singer we should really be looking at why Peter Andre decided to release an album of "Swing" classics, or why anyone would buy them.

Surely if you like swing then you'd buy the Sinatra, Bennet, Marttin...etc versions.  At a pinch the Micky Bubbles covers.

I forgive her any screeching just for auditioning for the part of an Adele Look-a-like <<< click there
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 23 November, 2015, 04:03:41 pm »
I've been listening to Kiss(FM) and Radio 1 in the van recently, but I can't help feeling that whenever anyone under 25 is a passenger, they're vaguely embarrassed by it.

Adele is OK. She can sound a bit screechy sometimes - but hey, there's much worse out there, as any Kiss(FM)/Radio 1 listener would confirm, I'm sure.

I'm 55, FTR.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2015, 04:14:08 pm »
She's quite good.

Clarion, age 50 7/8
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 23 November, 2015, 04:17:16 pm »

I think one of her biggest hits was written by a chap called Dylan.

And another by Robert Smith et al (The Cure).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 23 November, 2015, 04:18:52 pm »
Rather than focus on an obviously gifted song-writer and singer we should really be looking at why Peter Andre decided to release an album of "Swing" classics, or why anyone would buy them.

Is that why I observed some women of a certain age having a serious conversation about Peter Andre[1] in Mr Sainsbury's Emporium of Toothy Comestibles earlier?

[1] That wasn't "Remind me, who's that nice boy with the plastic chest that $niece wants a CD of for Christmas?"

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #13 on: 23 November, 2015, 04:57:31 pm »
Bit screechy, doesn't seem to like the letter L. I thought the last Bond movie was called Starfawww when I heard her song.

Not my cup of $BEVERAGE, but I get why others like her and she seems like a nice enough person.

Chris, aged thirty one anna half

« Reply #14 on: 23 November, 2015, 06:07:05 pm »
I don't think it's an age thing .... I'm 52 and three quarters and don't like screechy over emoting women singers.   Florence Welch is another .... And that bloody Mariah Carey .... And bloody Witney .....
Jess Glyn however I rather like and Clean Bandit are a guilty pleasure.  Hayley Wiliams and Paramore are great too.
My teenagers bombard me with good stuff, but Adele ain't among 'em.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 23 November, 2015, 06:23:03 pm »
Just for a survey, could anyone who has posted a negative comment about Adele also re-post with their age please?

I'm just interested in finding out whether this is another case of old folk saying "This modern music is all just noise isn't it Doris?".

My Gran thought the same about the Beatles.

Surely if you like swing then you'd buy the Sinatra, Bennet, Marttin...etc versions.  At a pinch the Micky Bubbles covers.

Isn't the latest release from His Bobness precisely that?

51 & 3/4.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #16 on: 23 November, 2015, 06:29:32 pm »
I like Adele.  But I hated that SCAAAAAFFAAAAAAAARRRR song.

Ritchie age 47.
Milk please, no sugar.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #17 on: 23 November, 2015, 08:36:07 pm »
I quite like Adele and also penguins.

45 and 19 days.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #18 on: 23 November, 2015, 08:37:15 pm »
I imagine you also like University Challenge!

« Reply #19 on: 23 November, 2015, 09:14:56 pm »
I don't dislike Adele. Or penguins. But I don't like University Challenge.

47 & 18 days.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20 on: 23 November, 2015, 09:45:52 pm »

51 & 3/4.

Stuff me. I'm older than M le Maire.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #21 on: 23 November, 2015, 09:57:27 pm »
So fundamentally a thread where 50 year old blokes state they don't much care for a 19, 21 and now 25 year old female singer, or that You can't tell what they're singing about nowadays, can you Dorothy?

It will be interesting to see what effect this thread has on sales of her new album.

Let's see shall we?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jakob

« Reply #22 on: 23 November, 2015, 10:26:43 pm »
I think she's exceedingly overrated and one song sounds pretty much exactly like the other. It's all about her voice and nothing else.

I did read an interview in the Guardian which was pretty cool, though. She seems fairly grounded.

In comparison, I loved Amy Winehouse. Adele is just trashy pop in comparison. Good voice, but zero content.

Jakob, 45 1/2.

red marley

« Reply #23 on: 23 November, 2015, 10:44:28 pm »
Since reading this thread, I've played Skyfall four times. I think it is one of the best Bond themes of the modern era and merits comparison with Ms Bassey's finest. In contrast to the supremely forgettable Spectre theme by...um, I've forgotten.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #24 on: 23 November, 2015, 10:46:25 pm »
I really like Adele, think penguins stink, and enjoy UniChal.

TC, age 59 11/12ths.