Author Topic: A random thread for ... you know the rest.  (Read 17551 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: A random thread for ... you know the rest.
« Reply #75 on: 10 February, 2017, 04:47:30 pm »
My trusty old Dribble is 10 years old this weekend.  Well, significant bits of it are.  Like most bikes it's a bit of a Ship of Theseus.

Has a think... hmm... frame, forks, handlebars, seatpost, mudguards, brake/gear levers, pedal cranks and brake calipers are original.  Not bad at all.

Ditto my Giant, right shifter (10sp upgrade), rear derailleur, crankset, chain and casette are the only non-original parts.   I was thinking about giving it some new brakes the other day as the current ones are starting to look tatty.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #76 on: 14 February, 2017, 11:22:12 am »
what if? tackles Coast-to-Coast Coasting.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #77 on: 17 March, 2017, 07:22:59 pm »
Just saw this via the CTC weekly email: http://www.svetlanaatlavina.com

For me some of the work ('cyclists in london', and 'oil paintings') captures brilliantly the feeling of riding in the wet/dark/busy cities.  Enjoy.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #78 on: 17 March, 2017, 08:15:07 pm »
I don't massively like them; but thanks anyway.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #79 on: 28 March, 2017, 03:43:05 pm »
I've said for a long time that the old viaduct would make a cracking cycle route over the ship canal, seems like someone was listening and there'll be steam trains too  :thumbsup:

Hope this goes ahead.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #80 on: 02 April, 2017, 04:03:24 pm »
Just bought some new lights. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuze-Wheel-Writer-20-Inch/dp/B00IO1YG84 £3.99 in Home Bargains ATM.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #81 on: 04 April, 2017, 01:52:31 pm »
I know that The Telegraph tend to put anything to do with cycling into their "Men" section. I'm not sure to what extent other UK papers do the same. I've just read an article about things you can be fined for while cycling in a Polish paper (to mark the return of spring, apparently) and when I'd finished I noticed it was categorized into their "Women" section and within that "Life and style". Well, they did use a woman in all the photos illustrating the various errors. Both classifications are curiously arbitrary, so perhaps the contrast is not that strange.
photos of a woman riding a bike illegally with words in furrin

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #82 on: 04 April, 2017, 02:05:21 pm »
Google translate comes up with some delightful phrasing there:

Data from the General Headquarters of Police shows that in 2016 cyclists took part in the 4737 road accidents, of which 271 ended up dying for them.

Makes RTCs sound like an extreme sport.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #83 on: 04 April, 2017, 02:24:16 pm »
Don't knock Google translate; it means there's still hope for people like me!
Another difference is that this appeared on the "front page" in as far as an online newspaper has a front page. Second row of headlines. Slow news day...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Haven't we got a "random" thread in here yet?
« Reply #84 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:51:12 am »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

Re: Haven't we got a "random" thread in here yet?
« Reply #85 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:54:15 am »

Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #87 on: 04 May, 2017, 06:03:41 pm »
These SPD compatible boots do seem nice but cost £275 per pair.
I see they're not offered in black.
http://road.cc/content/news/222060-love-classic-leather-boots-ride-spd-pedals-youll-want-these

« Reply #88 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:54:42 am »
I know that The Telegraph tend to put anything to do with cycling into their "Men" section. I'm not sure to what extent other UK papers do the same. I've just read an article about things you can be fined for while cycling in a Polish paper (to mark the return of spring, apparently) and when I'd finished I noticed it was categorized into their "Women" section and within that "Life and style". Well, they did use a woman in all the photos illustrating the various errors. Both classifications are curiously arbitrary, so perhaps the contrast is not that strange.
What is she doing that is illegal?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #89 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:14:22 am »
Photo by photo:
1. Not signalling intention to turn
2. Riding over a pedestrian crossing (caption actually says "Ignorance of traffic laws")
3. Riding on pavement and ringing bell at pedestrians (though text under has police saying "It's illegal but we don't mind if you're considerate)
4. Taking up the entire width of the cycle path (I guess they really needed some more people to illustrate this one)
5. Suddenly riding across a road
6. No lights
7. Riding with phone in hand (police comment "Some people break rules on a bike they would never break in a car")*
8. Not giving way to pedestrians on zebra
9. Riding after "just one beer" (police comment that 0 alcohol limit applies to cyclists too)

I like her practical but stylish bike and her purple shoes! Actually, I'm not entirely sure about the shoes.

* ::-)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #90 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:46:45 pm »
In the first one, who would she be signalling to?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #91 on: 08 May, 2017, 08:40:29 am »
From the same source, photos of Berlin immediately its defeat in 1945; the very first one shows a bike, and the curious thing is it's not the sort of bike you associate with either Berlin or war-torn ruins.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #92 on: 08 May, 2017, 05:20:18 pm »
In the first one, who would she be signalling to?
Whoever's there, surely? It's just an illustrative article that's meant to say "It's spring, let's get our bikes out." I don't think (wouldn't swear to it) there's a specific offence of failing to indicate while in charge of a pedal cycle.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #93 on: 08 May, 2017, 07:28:49 pm »
According to MrsLurker the noise made by a group of cyclists approaching a cafe or tea-room is a cake-ophony.  Other spellings are available.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #94 on: 10 May, 2017, 12:47:33 pm »
More bike rental, this time via an app, no docking stations, just scan a QR code and it unlocks a horseshoe type lock built into the bike.
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/features/new-hire-bike-scheme-coming-bristol/
https://yobike.co.uk

I expect them all to be trashed, gumtreed and cash convertered within a couple of months.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #95 on: 10 May, 2017, 03:19:54 pm »
I like her practical but stylish bike and her purple shoes! Actually, I'm not entirely sure about the shoes.

One of my favourite posters* when I was a kid

http://www.polishposter.com/poster0042-i-like-polish-bike-polish-poster.html

*In my Dad's** big book of cycling posters

**Now mine
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #96 on: 10 May, 2017, 03:51:45 pm »
Photo by photo:
1. Not signalling intention to turn
2. Riding over a pedestrian crossing (caption actually says "Ignorance of traffic laws")
3. Riding on pavement and ringing bell at pedestrians (though text under has police saying "It's illegal but we don't mind if you're considerate)
4. Taking up the entire width of the cycle path (I guess they really needed some more people to illustrate this one)
5. Suddenly riding across a road
6. No lights
7. Riding with phone in hand (police comment "Some people break rules on a bike they would never break in a car")*
8. Not giving way to pedestrians on zebra
9. Riding after "just one beer" (police comment that 0 alcohol limit applies to cyclists too)

* ::-)
I didn't realise there was more than one photo. In the first picture, there are lights on the bike . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #97 on: 10 May, 2017, 04:06:51 pm »
The bike has dynamo lighting, which is still there in pic 6, "No lights". It also has a mount for a battery light on the bars, which I suppose is meant to illustrate the lack of lights. Or maybe it's for a computer? And there aren't any pedestrians visible in pic 8, which is supposed to show failure to give way to people on a zebra crossing. Hey, the declining standards of journalism are a worldwide phenomenon!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #98 on: 11 May, 2017, 03:29:28 pm »
More bike rental, this time via an app, no docking stations, just scan a QR code and it unlocks a horseshoe type lock built into the bike.
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/features/new-hire-bike-scheme-coming-bristol/
https://yobike.co.uk

I expect them all to be trashed, gumtreed and cash convertered within a couple of months.
And today I saw one. Step through frame, lighting from an unbranded hub dynamo, Nexus gearing – not sure whether 7 or 8. Neither rack nor basket, which seems a bit of an omission.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #99 on: 12 May, 2017, 02:24:17 pm »
Actually they do have a little rack at the front, with a bungee too.

And today, quite by chance, I bumped into someone working for them (recognisable by t-shirt). They currently have 300 bikes in Bristol and will have 600 by end of next week. Costs £1 per hour up to £5 for a day. Was in a hurry so didn't ask about theft(!) or where else they plan to operate.