Author Topic: Armitstead misses drug tests  (Read 17985 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrew

Re: Armistead misses drug tests
« Reply #26 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:42:49 am »
Isn't the first missed test exactly the same as Froome's? If the hotel desk won't let the testers go upstairs, how can that be the athlete's fault? You can't do much about someone else's actions.

And as Froome said....

I should have been more proactive in letting the hotel know this was a possibility that I could be tested.

Yes it's tough and can seem draconianly unfair to us sometimes but, as Nicole Cooke suggests, it's what goes with the job and - more to the point - is accepted as necessary.

« Reply #27 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:44:05 am »
I suspect the family thing will come out. Her parents live two streets over, her brother is our plumber, Lizzie is our club patron and comes to stuff occasionally (and pops in to our primary school). Otley is a small town - loads of people know her.

^when she came to a lunch ride a couple of years back.

I think it doesn't look good. Do I think she's on PEDs? I don't know her from Adam, but the local gossipy details you pick up give me the impression it would be extraordinarily out of character.

Not that you are claiming otherwise, but local gossipy details don't stand for much. Nobody would know, and no active athlete would ever suggest that they had anything other than an unequivocal stance against doping.

It's interesting that none of her colleagues have come out in her defence. Highly unusual. But then she is a pretty unliked person in the peloton.

« Reply #28 on: 03 August, 2016, 10:32:47 am »
But then she is a pretty unliked person in the peloton.

A like her.

Re: Armitstead misses drug tests
« Reply #29 on: 03 August, 2016, 10:35:18 am »
Corrected spelling

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #30 on: 03 August, 2016, 10:35:53 am »
Isn't the first missed test exactly the same as Froome's? If the hotel desk won't let the testers go upstairs, how can that be the athlete's fault? You can't do much about someone else's actions.

If the athlete is not where they have said they will be why don't the testers phone them? In Cooke's garage case she was just down the road, hardly hiding out necking steroids in another country.

TBH trying to imagine having to report my every exact movement over the course of a year....I'm surprised that more people don't miss tests. And I'm a person who likes to know what the plans are in advance!

Athletes have to specify their whereabouts and make themselves available for testing during one hour each day, not the whole 24.  So if LA was being visited at 6am, it's because she'd put "6am, hotel room" on her form.  Well of course she's going to be in her room at 6am, but it does then become her responsibility to set her alarm properly.  As for the testers finding the room, the UKAD site says that, "If you are staying in a hotel, for example, then you need to add your room number to your Whereabouts or ensure that the room is booked in your name so any Doping Control Officer can locate you easily" - so she seemingly hadn't done that either - as hadn't Chris Froome.  It's a bit of a drag, yes, but it's part of what she's paid to do. 

As for phoning them, the testers say they phoned but LA's phone was on silent.  If I'm correct, I believe this would have turned the test into an "announced test" anyway, and another would then have been done at a later date.  This is so the athletes don't have time to implement countermeasures while the tester is in the lift - like in Tyler Hamilton's book / the 'The Program' film here, where a tester knocks on the USPS team bus and a team member stalls him on the door while Lance injects a bag of plasma to take his haematocrit below 50%. 

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #31 on: 03 August, 2016, 10:45:15 am »
You don't set the alarm. testing is infrequent and being woken up every day just in case is not a sensible strategy. The errors were in the hotel not allowing the DCO to know the room number. This may have been because the DCO did not identify themselves properly, or that they were not sufficiently briefed by the team. The DCO was apparently less than assiduous in attempting to gain access.

As to the 'why didn't she return the missed call?' I'm not sure how many miscellaneous calls from unknown numbers one might get as a top athlete. I know folk who do not return missed calls from numbers they do not recognise.

Calling up from the hotel reception is not an 'announced test' if you are at the location. Calling when you are not at the location would be an announced test.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #32 on: 03 August, 2016, 10:57:51 am »
From this article it sounds like testers do routinely flash their anti-doping IDs to get past reception staff.  That means LA either fell foul of an unusually hyper-vigilant receptionist, or else a lazy tester.  That's unfortunate - although it wasn't very bright of LA not to challenge it at the time, and then to fall foul twice more in the ten months afterwards

« Reply #33 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:20:49 am »

A like her.

You aren't in the women's peloton.

Andrew

« Reply #34 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:40:48 am »
I've just realised her initials. Most unfortunate.  ;)

« Reply #35 on: 03 August, 2016, 11:47:02 am »

A like her.

You aren't in the women's peloton.
Not even allowed within 100 metres of it after the court order.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 03 August, 2016, 12:34:43 pm »
* n.b. this is not a statement of LA's innocence, nor is it saying that cycling - or indeed any other sport - is clean *

I don't agree with saying the Whereabouts system is "just part of their job". It's not what athletes sign-up for when they choose their career. I could find a dozen posts on this forum about employers making unreasonable demands of their staff.
Does anyone warn their kids about this when they start playing sport? Or when you take them to their first race/match/event?

And as for it being simple for any "dedicated professional" ... well not all sports-persons are wired that way. You can be VERY successful despite being clueless/daft/disorganised; I give you Paul Gascoine, Alex Higgins, Peter Sagan.

* n.b. this is not a statement of LA's innocence, nor is it saying that cycling - or indeed any other sport - is clean *
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #37 on: 03 August, 2016, 12:48:50 pm »
I don't know what pro-cycling is coming to – all the fans turning on the moral indignation.  It spoils the fun.

Andrew

« Reply #38 on: 03 August, 2016, 01:38:49 pm »
It might not be what they sign up for (in fact, I'm sure it's not) but it is part of the reality of their job that they have to deal with, or have someone do for them. I suspect we all have aspects of our respective jobs that we have to perform despite not liking, or even being suited to it.

It's not that I'm unsympathetic. Far from it. I used to hate wearing a tie (a trivial example, I know) but none-the-less I knew what would happen if I didn't. Actions and consequences. I had enough of the facts and the choice was mine . Sucks sometimes  :-\

simonp

« Reply #39 on: 03 August, 2016, 01:43:51 pm »
I find more to be sad about in the uninformed speculation and trial by guesswork in this thread than by the case itself.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #40 on: 03 August, 2016, 02:19:15 pm »
That means LA either fell foul of an unusually hyper-vigilant receptionist, or else a lazy tester.

Both, by the sounds of it, along with a team that usually specifically briefs the hotels that "these guys might show up, never mind your hotel policy, send them up" but either forgot as a one-off or wasn't respected by Jobsworth Desk Receptionist.

Fwiw, only Armitstead knows for sure but I'm fairly satisfied that this is an administrative cock-up, not a smoking gun. But that's just my po-onion.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #41 on: 03 August, 2016, 02:28:51 pm »
Or desk receptionist didn't get the memo. Bear in mind that the receptionist at checkin on the evening before may not be on duty at 6am the next morning
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

simonp

« Reply #42 on: 03 August, 2016, 02:36:44 pm »
The same Peter Sagan who copped a feel on the podium?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #43 on: 03 August, 2016, 03:11:58 pm »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #44 on: 03 August, 2016, 06:08:59 pm »
You can be VERY successful despite being clueless/daft/disorganised; I give you Paul Gascoine, Alex Higgins, Peter Sagan.

Could I ask you to explain which of these accusations you apply to Peter Sagan, please?

I imagine Crazy P Sagan comes across as a lot less of a goon in his native language than he does when speaking English.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 03 August, 2016, 07:08:53 pm »
You can be VERY successful despite being clueless/daft/disorganised; I give you Paul Gascoine, Alex Higgins, Peter Sagan.

Could I ask you to explain which of these accusations you apply to Peter Sagan, please?

I imagine Crazy P Sagan comes across as a lot less of a goon in his native language than he does when speaking English.
I sincerely hope that he is still crazy in any language.  Cycling needs more like him  :-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #46 on: 03 August, 2016, 07:26:03 pm »

I suspect he's been filling his frame with helium.

« Reply #47 on: 04 August, 2016, 05:12:29 pm »
I now assume Armitstead to be guilty.

Her written 'explanation' for three missed tests is basically 'please don't tell me off, can't you see I'm crying, I'm a very nice person'.

« Reply #48 on: 04 August, 2016, 07:19:24 pm »
I now assume Armitstead to be guilty.

Her written 'explanation' for three missed tests is basically 'please don't tell me off, can't you see I'm crying, I'm a very nice person'.

You need to inform the appropriate authorities. I'm sure they'll take action based on your belief.

Alternatively, they might stick to the decision they have made.

« Reply #49 on: 04 August, 2016, 08:03:06 pm »
If she was Katusha she would be looked at through clenched eye. She's playing the 'us nice English, Yorkshire people don't take drugs unlike Jonny Foreigner.'

I notice UKAD have still not accepted the verdict.

Armitstead gave the time of 06.00-0.700 as her time when she would be available. It was her responsibility. She then missed another two tests.

The fishes are rotten and stinking high.