Author Topic: Trikes/velomobiles and speedbumps  (Read 2843 times)

Trikes/velomobiles and speedbumps
« on: 18 August, 2016, 08:08:23 pm »
I rode to work today and realised quite how many speedbumps there are on my route. Some are nice and gentle, some are those pillow things, and some are the brutal ones that are as tall as the kerbs (Magdalen Road in Oxford). I was hoping to be able to ride my trike (homebuilt - see here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=94895.0) to work when it's ready, but I don't know how it would deal with the speedbumps.
On the road bike (or fix) I can go around the pillow ones and power over the others wheelieing and posting up to smooth it all out. Get it right and you accelerate through the speedbump while the cars are slowing down and then accelerating in the gaps.  :demon: How do you guys do it on a velomobile or recumbent trike? I'm guessing you can't use your legs as suspension, so you just have to go slowly...  :-\
Cheers
Duncan

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Trikes/velomobiles and speedbumps
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2016, 08:44:09 pm »
A trike should be able to fit between pillows, if the other traffic doesn't bully you off the line.  Otherwise it's just a case of slowing down to an appropriate speed for the wheel size and suspension of whatever you're riding (where suspension also includes legs supporting your body weight off the saddle in the special case of an upwrong).

Low tadpole trikes and velomobiles also have the bonus possibility of grounding something other than a wheel when faced with a sufficiently harsh bump; in that case you may have to dismount and wheel it to avoid damage.  That's typically things like the absence of a dropped kerb rather than speed bumps, though.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2016, 09:17:07 pm »
I go round if possible but over is also fine in the Velomobile, my suspension is pretty good.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2016, 07:08:26 am »
Over or round. I have full suspension though and the adventure trice has plenty of clearance  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2016, 08:27:06 pm »
I go off my normal recreational ride route when I'm on my Trice QNT. I just can't stand the speedbumps!
I have to avoid the local ford too - or ride with a wet behind....

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2016, 09:20:50 am »
I go off my normal recreational ride route when I'm on my Trice QNT. I just can't stand the speedbumps!
I have to avoid the local ford too - or ride with a wet behind....

I prefer to take my Trice Q through the flat gap at one side or the other. Often that's not possible so then it's straight over the top. I have fitted front suspension. The transverse rumble strips in local housing estates used to shake the teeth out of my head; now, I barely notice them.

John

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2016, 09:53:29 am »
Somewhere in Wet Yorks a genius of a road engineer decided to put a speed cushion in the middle of a width restriction on a steep downhill.

Hitting that on a Trice XXL at 30 mph was, ah, interesting.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2016, 05:52:35 pm »
Did you get the long jump record Mr L?  :D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2016, 06:35:53 pm »
Caught it with the right wheel only and nearly did a barrel roll into a conveniently placed cemetery.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2016, 06:58:06 am »
 :o

« Reply #10 on: 10 October, 2016, 10:07:14 pm »
Speed bumps generally are not a problem on my Trice QNT, but I did once make the mistake of clipping a mini roundabout when turning right and subsequently took the turning on 2 wheels.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11 on: 10 October, 2016, 11:01:23 pm »
had some of those two humps across the middle of each carriageway on Sunday, no airborne antics, but there was a definite choice of between the two or in the gutter. Luckily fairly traffic free
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2016, 01:13:48 am »
I once went passed a cars side window on my Ice S when he cut me up then braked for a speed table (full road width block paving).
I didn't slow down took off at about 30, grinned as I went past and touched down on the other side  ;D
Usually it depends on traffic, if nothing I take the middle of the road between the pillows, if busy sometimes the left in the gutter and the right one over it. Or just both wheels over.

« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2016, 09:32:30 am »
Whilst negotiating speed bumps can be problematic especially at speed I have a particular gripe about the speed bumps installed within the Ashton Court Estate as  these consist of twin humps across the full width of the road you have to negotiate these going up hill. Small gaps have been installed to accommodate bicycles, but on a trike you just have to struggle on.