Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87883 times)

Re: Beer!
« Reply #400 on: 17 November, 2017, 06:37:48 pm »
I'm looking forward to a trip to the Hull Beer festival tomorrow. Not sure what to expect but it's in the Minster and Hull is the Capitol of Culture so may be special.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #401 on: 18 November, 2017, 07:07:53 pm »
Adnams Blood Orange Wheat Beer - in a can, from M&S.  :sick:  v. sweet o the nose, not hoppy/bitter enough for me, the orange comes on at the front, but then fades into a sort of tizery blegh.

Elgoods Warrior - nice and local, being from Wisbech, a generally trad English bitter, but stronger. Nice malty, biscuit hoppiness and a decent hit of bitterness.

Yeasty Boys Gunnamatta, earl grey flavoured IPA, a much better solution to getting oranginess into a beer.  Nice floral nose, good hit of hoppy bitterness and then the bergamot hits at the end.  A bit more body and it would be perfect.   Having brewed earl grey wine before, I might give this a go as well some time
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #402 on: 18 November, 2017, 08:41:49 pm »
Uley Pigor Mortis and Fixed Wheel Mild Concussion (White Bear, Tewkesbury), and Purity Saddle Black (Boat, Ashleworth)

Followed up by finding a sleeping partridge in the middle of the road on the way back, and having to move it into the verge.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #403 on: 18 November, 2017, 08:55:26 pm »
On the way to my Mum's in deepest darkest Fife there is a petrol station with a shit hot craft beer & gin selection.
I had this lot last night, followed by a Plum Gose which I was obviously too merry to take a photie of.

IMG_20171117_205832 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_20171117_215939 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_20171117_230053 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

« Reply #404 on: 18 November, 2017, 09:20:30 pm »
I had a Beavertown Smoked, I think from Oddbins in Aberdeen, which was very good.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #405 on: 18 November, 2017, 09:26:06 pm »
I had a Beavertown Smoked, I think from Oddbins in Aberdeen, which was very good.

Smog Rocket?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

« Reply #406 on: 18 November, 2017, 10:13:29 pm »
Probably, rings a bell

ian

« Reply #407 on: 20 November, 2017, 09:28:45 am »
A Modern Times City of the Dead, Omnipollo Hazelnut Cupcake, and Marble Imperial Chocolate Stout.

For Sunday lunch. Probably a good job I wasn't cycling.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #408 on: 20 November, 2017, 04:31:50 pm »
Just to go against the grain of these craft beers at £2-3/can, may I suggest that the panel tries the selection from the local Aldi?

Way better than your cheap bitter or lager (and some expensive ones). No pretensions, they don't shout about them being craft, cos basically they aren't (Marstons and at least one other brewery are involved). At between 0.99 & 1.29 for 330 or 500ml bottles they are great swigging beers, or even very good for cooking with. I particularly like the Coffee Porter and the Empire IPA.

PS I am not really a cheapskate, I have 6 bottles of Sister Agnes set by for Xmas.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #409 on: 20 November, 2017, 04:39:26 pm »
£2-3 a can. Ho ho. I bought a couple of £8 330ml bottles. They are barrel-aged imperial stouts though and clock up somewhere north of 10% abv. You don't get many of those to an evening.

The stouts in the post above were about £15/pint, though sensibly consumed in thirds.

tiermat

« Reply #410 on: 20 November, 2017, 04:51:57 pm »
Sister Agnes is between £5 and £7 a 300ml bottle, depending on where you buy it from. There is a place and time for those, but for everyday quaffing I am going to keep with the Aldi ones (until they run out or turn rubbish).

Mrs T was not best pleased when I returned from the shop with them as she had just bought me a can of Orinoco Stout and one of Medusa, from Sainsburys, for £2 each!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #411 on: 20 November, 2017, 08:22:23 pm »
I do tend to go for quality over quantity these days, I'm at the age where hangovers can be fatal (or at least feel that way). That said, I can quaff some supermarket brews. I don't mind the Oakham stuff (Citra and Scarlet Macaw) and several others. I did try the Marstons stuff and it was pretty bland.

« Reply #412 on: 20 November, 2017, 09:30:11 pm »
I bought a couple of bottles​ of Fuller's Vintage Ale (2017 edition) at Waitrose, as well as a bottle of their limited-edition Imperial Russian Stout. At £5 and £8 respectively, they're at the top end of what I'd normally spend, but the Vintage Ale especially I tend to buy a couple and drink one; a couple of years down the line the bottles are howfuckingmuch?!, so it's nice to be able to pull one from the cupboard as a treat.

ElyDave

« Reply #413 on: 21 November, 2017, 06:47:11 pm »
I still have a bottle of Fullers 2014 Vintage Ale, I've seen the prices in the Kings Cross Fullers Pub  :o

This year, my own brew for Christmas, a strong bitter and a barleywine at about 10-12%, both <<<£8 a bottle, and that includes the hand-made labels.

ian

« Reply #414 on: 21 November, 2017, 08:10:54 pm »
Oh my, twelve taps of Cloudwater.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #415 on: 22 November, 2017, 05:16:19 pm »
On the quaffing front, I'm enjoying Black Sheep's Glug M'Glug dark IPA (6.2%) and PIstonhead's Full Amber (6%) - in tins both 3 for a fiver in Morrisons.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

tiermat

« Reply #416 on: 22 November, 2017, 06:44:03 pm »
The Black Sheep one is rather enjoyable, for quaffing beer, isn't it?

ElyDave

« Reply #417 on: 23 November, 2017, 08:33:48 pm »
Stavanger Juleol tonight, at about £11 a pop, nice beer a rich fruity Christmas ale, not much hoppiness

ian

« Reply #418 on: 24 November, 2017, 09:16:55 pm »
Siren Sheltered Spirit – Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Porter with tamarind. I've no idea what the tamarind does but it's immodestly awesome. Probably shouldn't have drunk it between coming back from the swimming pool and shoving pizza in the oven given the ABV.

ElyDave

« Reply #419 on: 25 November, 2017, 05:31:56 pm »
Little creatures pale ale tonight, nice, light, bitter, hoppy.

Also stopped into the local for a pint of Ipswich something-or-other a nice dark fruity liquoricy porter

ian

« Reply #420 on: 26 November, 2017, 11:47:37 am »
Oh, continuing the Siren theme, Acid Jam. Scores high on awesometer, not as sour as I expected, more barley wine-ish, and is effectively like having the one of the best parties ever in your mouth.

dim

« Reply #421 on: 26 November, 2017, 03:27:08 pm »
something new at my local Tesco Express (I bought one and will try it later... 8 1/2 % so it most probably tastes like petrol):

delirium beer:

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #422 on: 26 November, 2017, 06:19:11 pm »
something new at my local Tesco Express (I bought one and will try it later... 8 1/2 % so it most probably tastes like petrol):

delirium beer:

It does not taste remotely like petrol and is dangerously addictive.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #423 on: 26 November, 2017, 07:25:22 pm »
Delirium is a very nice beer. I just sorted through the fridge and there's nothing with an ABV less than about 9%. Fortunately, there's probably something more easily quaffable in the now :smug: cold porch.

I learned the other day that Carlsberg Special Brew, the leading tramp nectar, was brewed to celebrate Churchill's 1950 visit to Copenhagen. I always figured Churchill as a pint-of-port man.

« Reply #424 on: 27 November, 2017, 01:40:14 pm »
the Vintage Ale especially I tend to buy a couple and drink one; a couple of years down the line the bottles are howfuckingmuch?!,
2003 is currently priced at £360 a bottle. So far, I've resisted the temptation to try to cash in, and just drunk the stuff.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28061.msg1599132;topicseen#msg1599132

I'm fairly sure I've got a bottle or two of 2007 still (£110)