Author Topic: How much are you riding?  (Read 24067 times)

Re: How much are you riding?
« Reply #150 on: 27 May, 2020, 08:51:43 pm »
That would mean a VERY pre-dawn start, sadly!

Matt, I'm sure that you, like me, know that VERY predawn starts are utterly wonderful! But strangely, it seems to be about 7 years since I actually made one  >:(

Davef

« Reply #151 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:35:02 pm »
I'm very much hoping to do a proper long day around the Solstice (i.e. nearest weekend?) I'm less than 150km from the coast, and I've always wanted to get a 300 done in daylight, so that can be the challenge, rather than chasing those ESSENTIAL 3 points ;)
I’d like to do similar - preferably Holyhead and back (108 miles each way) but I need the Welsh govt. to relax its lockdown rules to make that route a goer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are the current welsh lockdown rules ? I know they have quietly deleted the “4 or 5 hours would be excessive” and the “must stay within walking distance of your home”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #152 on: 27 May, 2020, 09:50:09 pm »
I'm very much hoping to do a proper long day around the Solstice (i.e. nearest weekend?) I'm less than 150km from the coast, and I've always wanted to get a 300 done in daylight, so that can be the challenge, rather than chasing those ESSENTIAL 3 points ;)
I’d like to do similar - preferably Holyhead and back (108 miles each way) but I need the Welsh govt. to relax its lockdown rules to make that route a goer.

What are the current welsh lockdown rules ? I know they have quietly deleted the “4 or 5 hours would be excessive” and the “must stay within walking distance of your home”.

It’s ambiguous at best... I think the current wording is something like “exercise within reasonable distance from home” whatever that means. And all exercise to start/finish at home. I was fettling my rear derailleur on a ride recently when the local bobby stopped and questioned me to determine if I was playing by the rules. Thankfully I was only a couple of miles from home so he was happy. I’m doing 99% of my mileage in England at the moment - luckily I’m only a handful of miles from the border.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting on the loo.

« Reply #153 on: 28 May, 2020, 09:28:18 am »

It’s ambiguous at best... I think the current wording is something like “exercise within reasonable distance from home” whatever that means. And all exercise to start/finish at home. I was fettling my rear derailleur on a ride recently when the local bobby stopped and questioned me to determine if I was playing by the rules. Thankfully I was only a couple of miles from home so he was happy. I’m doing 99% of my mileage in England at the moment - luckily I’m only a handful of miles from the border.

Yeah I've been trying to work out if I'm allowed over the Severn bridge to cycle to Tintern and back. Probably leave it a bit longer.

bairn again

« Reply #154 on: 28 May, 2020, 11:18:47 am »
Im getting out most days, even if its just 20km here and there in civvies. 

I set myself a target of 1,000km in May which I should achieve all being well over the next few days. 

Previous 1,000km+ months will have almost all have been made up chiefly of audax events but this month Ive done just two rides over 100km and getting out more frequently for shorter rides has been very enjoyable.   

Ive no particular expectations of audax events returning anytime soon but I've set myself a target of 1,000 miles in June including stepping up my longest rides and using the longer days to get some pre work rides in as well midweek.  I like overnight riding but Im not sure its a good idea just yet so may just pencil in 20th June for a "dawn to dark" long un.       

Our summer holiday was going to be a trip to Valognes to Semaine Federale but that's been postponed to 2021.  If we reach Stage 3 of the exit plan by then we will use those two weeks in August to visit the West Highlands where my mother in law lives and if I do nothing else I hope to finally nail the Five Ferry Fandango https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32484359

« Reply #155 on: 28 May, 2020, 12:38:33 pm »
Im getting out most days, even if its just 20km here and there in civvies. 

I set myself a target of 1,000km in May which I should achieve all being well over the next few days. 

Previous 1,000km+ months will have almost all have been made up chiefly of audax events but this month Ive done just two rides over 100km and getting out more frequently for shorter rides has been very enjoyable.   

Ive no particular expectations of audax events returning anytime soon but I've set myself a target of 1,000 miles in June including stepping up my longest rides and using the longer days to get some pre work rides in as well midweek.  I like overnight riding but Im not sure its a good idea just yet so may just pencil in 20th June for a "dawn to dark" long un.       

Our summer holiday was going to be a trip to Valonges to Semaine Federale but that's been postponed to 2021.  If we reach Stage 3 of the exit plan by then we will use those two weeks in August to visit the West Highlands where my mother in law lives and if I do nothing else I hope to finally nail the Five Ferry Fandango https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32484359.

Planning something similar myself dependant on current situation improving, weather etc etc
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #156 on: 28 May, 2020, 05:07:15 pm »
Ah crap, I've just realised how little I've done in May :(

Once it became obvious that RATN wasn't happening my mojo disappeared.  I know it's moved to the end of Aug (which seems unlikely to happen), but I cannot easily make that week & real life has been getting in the way, so I'm riding <very little>

On the plus-side, I did plan out how to ride a Virtual version of The Dean 300 on the Rouvy platform - it's there ready for me to ride if I was ever motivated to sit on the Kickr for that long! :)

« Reply #157 on: 28 May, 2020, 05:20:38 pm »
.....  I like overnight riding but Im not sure its a good idea just yet so may just pencil in 20th June for a "dawn to dark" long un.       

Planning something similar myself dependant on current situation improving, weather etc etc

Ditto

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #158 on: 28 May, 2020, 05:33:38 pm »
ScotGov appears to have sneaked in a retrospective restriction of Scots to within 5 miles of home in its alleged easing of lockdown today. Way to go Nikeola  ::-)

« Reply #159 on: 29 May, 2020, 02:19:08 pm »
ScotGov appears to have sneaked in a retrospective restriction of Scots to within 5 miles of home in its alleged easing of lockdown today. Way to go Nikeola  ::-)

Yeah, I saw that. ??? I guess I'll stick with running, given that 5 miles barely gets me out of the city.

bairn again

« Reply #160 on: 29 May, 2020, 04:30:55 pm »

Yeah, I saw that. ??? I guess I'll stick with running, given that 5 miles barely gets me out of the city.

I had a detailed read of the guidance when it came out last week https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-framework-decision-making-scotlands-route-map-through-out-crisis/

Under Phase 1 (so from today) we have

Sport, culture and leisure activities : " Unrestricted outdoors exercise adhering to distancing measures. "

Getting Around : "Permitted to travel short distances for outdoor leisure and exercise but advice to stay within a short distance of your local community (broadly within 5 miles) and travel by walk, wheel and cycle where possible. "

Having specifically hear the FM speak on the subject when the framework was announced, the 5 mile limit is intended to stop a stack of folk from towns and cities descending on popular beauty spots eg Greater Glasgow descending on Troon, Edinburgh -> Aberlady etc etc ie its not a rule that says you cant go on a bike ride or run that happens to take you 6+ miles from home.   

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #161 on: 29 May, 2020, 05:55:21 pm »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Lockdown (and guidance on not going too far from home) has coincided in one of the longest spells of settled weather (certainly in the South of England) that I can recall.  Sod's law suggests that we can predict when we will be free to ride where we like by the breaking of the dry spell and a return to monsoon like conditions.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #162 on: 29 May, 2020, 06:25:38 pm »

Her comment referred to limiting the distance you travel for exercise. This is from yesterday's brief:

And you will be able to travel – preferably by walking or cycling - to a location near your local community for recreation. However we are asking you, for now, to please stay within, or close to, your own local area. And don’t use public transport unless it is absolutely necessary.

Now we are not setting a fixed distance limit in law - but our strong advice is not to travel further than around five miles for leisure or recreation.

I only started going out on the road last week after a lot of turbo 'miles'. I'm generally keeping to within a 10km radius of home with only short stretches of road beyond that radius - with planning it would be easy to do a 100 mile ride without coming back into town and without using the same stretch of road twice.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #163 on: 29 May, 2020, 09:42:34 pm »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Lockdown (and guidance on not going too far from home) has coincided in one of the longest spells of settled weather (certainly in the South of England) that I can recall.  Sod's law suggests that we can predict when we will be free to ride where we like by the breaking of the dry spell and a return to monsoon like conditions.

IIRC Basil OTP predicted this back in March.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #164 on: 30 May, 2020, 08:37:49 am »
May is officially the driest on record, and April felt pretty amazing. And 44% of Brits have had enforced free time on their hands.

Of course, being British we have to focus on the down side  :facepalm:

(With apologies and sympathies to the self-isolaters)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #165 on: 30 May, 2020, 09:23:52 am »
I don't think it has rained once since I bought my turbo trainer,  if only I had known I'd have done it years ago

Eddington  127miles, 170km

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #166 on: 30 May, 2020, 10:25:36 am »
 ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #167 on: 30 May, 2020, 10:52:08 am »
So far this month 25 rides totalling 389 miles, 15 in April. The first 29 were to use up all my summer jerseys, clearly too many, but only 3 bikes.

Two walks of shames after fairies visits, close enough to walk home and not bother changing the tubes, one was a double after looking at the scenery and not the road, deep pothole, 4 mile walk home. Luckily I have countryside all around, although there are only two safe routes out of town so I start with them and make up loops as I go along. A local farmshop has a drive through cafe in a barn which is 16 miles away, the longest I have ventured from home.

« Reply #168 on: 31 May, 2020, 09:36:13 pm »
200 miles a week average. including 2 x 200Km, one in April and the other in May to keep my personal RRTY or maybe just sanity going. All door to door with no stopping on the road for shops or anything else other than for road junctions. Having said that all my shopping at home is done on the bike and that has continued but they are only 6 or 7 mile trips. Those could have been 4 mile trips if I didn't have to search or flour or avoid queues but still met even the Welsh rules had they not been essential.

« Reply #169 on: 31 May, 2020, 09:50:15 pm »
March - May I've averaged 600 miles per month, anything from 12 miles to 103 miles in length (long rides in May), working on speed and losing some winter fat!

« Reply #170 on: 01 June, 2020, 04:27:54 pm »
Average 200 miles a week during lockdown though last week peaked at 250 miles.  Longest rides around 70 miles at moment which is longest I can ride and not carry excessive amounts of water. Carrying enough food is the easy bit. Rides are all non stop so far.

This week I should hit 6,000km for the year

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #171 on: 01 June, 2020, 05:07:50 pm »
managed 1000km  in May, on my new 'bent, just to get the old legs in order you understand. ;)

« Reply #172 on: 02 June, 2020, 03:43:26 pm »
Another lockdown ride report from my neck of the woods. I’ve been able to get out plenty during lockdown despite my locations in the Welsh borders. NB: all rides have complied with C-19 regulations.

https://youtu.be/qx3Fss-S064

« Reply #173 on: 08 June, 2020, 02:45:45 pm »
Did my first 100km ride of lockdown on Sunday following an audax route that I rode last year.

Managed to carry all the food and water required and the absence of stopping at the controls wasn't really an issue.

It felt good to be doing a reasonable distance but my drop in fitness was noticeable - I am going to try to ride a 100km every week this month as I have every Friday off as my company demanded that we take a week's worth of leave before the end of June.

Hopefully this will mean when restrictions are lifted doing a 200km as part of RRTY will not be too difficult.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #174 on: 08 June, 2020, 05:18:07 pm »
200 miles a week average. including 2 x 200Km, one in April and the other in May to keep my personal RRTY or maybe just sanity going. All door to door with no stopping on the road for shops or anything else other than for road junctions. Having said that all my shopping at home is done on the bike and that has continued but they are only 6 or 7 mile trips. Those could have been 4 mile trips if I didn't have to search or flour or avoid queues but still met even the Welsh rules had they not been essential.
I must agree my 200s, 2x Virtual April and May (on Turbo on my drive to support Sue Ryder Hospice) and 1 to Wales (only to the R Wye Border on the Severn Bridge you understand) last Friday for Jun keep my personal monthly 200s continuous. Also, my shopping can be a 6 mile return trip with a rucksack. Could be a resumption of something like normal for England next month?
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.