Author Topic: Pp payment  (Read 1615 times)

Pp payment
« on: 28 August, 2021, 10:39:57 pm »
Some of the calendar events ask for pp at a lower price than using PayPal.  What do they mean by pp and how do you pay it?

Re: Pp payment
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2021, 10:48:01 pm »
PP is the PayPal logo.

The lower price is the enter-by-post price. The logo next to it indicates PayPal is available.

Yes it’s confusing, but we only paid hundreds of thousands of pounds for the new website, so we can’t expect much.

« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2021, 11:05:00 am »
The lower price is not always the pay-by-post price!

"My" Upper Thames, event is one of quite a few that charge less for PayPal entry, despite the fees payable to PayPal. This is to discourage postal / paper entries, as they are (compared to on-line entries) a p-i-t-a to process. You do not need a PP account to use this facility; you can enter debit or credit card detail on the PP site just like any other on-line purchase. I've heard comment that PP is not sufficiently secure, but my experience of using it for many years both to send and receive funds has been positive.

There are cheaper options, but that's my problem as organiser / receiver of funds, not yours as an entrant.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #3 on: 29 August, 2021, 01:46:18 pm »
back in the dark ages (about 5 years ago maybe) AUK used to insist on having postal entries as an option.

I used to price postal entries at a level that was much higher to discourage them - its lots of extra admin for an organiser.

The only person who persisted with postal entries iirc was George Berwick.

« Reply #4 on: 29 August, 2021, 02:55:53 pm »
PP is the PayPal logo.

The lower price is the enter-by-post price. The logo next to it indicates PayPal is available.

Yes it’s confusing, but we only paid hundreds of thousands of pounds for the new website, so we can’t expect much.

;D

Just pulled up a couple of random events to see what's what, it's been a couple of years since I looked at events, i.e - https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8889&Evno=21-650

Interesting, for reasons already stated, I'd expect entry by paypal to be the cheaper option.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2021, 06:46:07 pm »
PayPal takes their cut (or in my case Entry Central since PayPal perma-banned me but as it turns out does most of the work I'd need to do using PP and Auk anyway, all I have to do is plug membership numbers into the start list and their system handles what I was previously using a spreadsheet for) which banks don't when paying in a cheque (and if you're with the right bank it's easy to do (photo of cheque), not so best bank (scrawl on back and post) not too difficult backwards bank a bloody pain in the arse (find a branch that's open and convenient)).

Nominally the rider supplies two SAEs for their postal entry thus saving you 2 stamps and 2 envelopes which is close enough to £2 + PP fees; I update the list on EC and then plug the membership number into the AUK start list.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2021, 06:27:17 pm »
Note that it's illegal to surcharge for PayPal simply to cover the fees that Pp charges.  You can however regard online entry as itself an additional event 'feature' (just like free food at the finish) and surcharge for it that way.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2021, 08:27:01 pm »
I've decided to keep to one standard price for my events, in the interests of simplicity, from now on - I'm a bear of little brain, at least when it comes to office work. I used to charge more for paypal and for entries on-the-line too. There are relatively few postal entries now anyway, (but if you want to do it that way why not? - I'm one of them when I can be bothered, still using up spare SAEs from way back). Also many ACME riders get their brevets returned by hand, usually down the pub on a Wednesday evening. It could all get very complicated.

I still request permanent entries by post - I suspect if I went online with them I'd be getting last-minute rushed requests for a brevet. But most folk I know prefer DIYs by GPS now - it makes a lot of sense to have routes start from your front door, which is one of the reasons why I got into organising perms and calendar events - quite selfish of me I guess ...

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2021, 10:46:13 pm »
What are the envelopes for if the route sheet and gpx  is sent to you by email and you get validated on the day?

« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2021, 12:10:08 pm »
Not all events are validated on the day.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #10 on: 01 September, 2021, 07:02:03 pm »
Note that it's illegal to surcharge for PayPal simply to cover the fees that Pp charges.

That's how I've always done, guilty as charged m'Lud

I did set an high postal ECE fee but with the advent of the "ECE this event" button I can't. In these Covid days I have to remember to go to the bank with the few cheques I get before the 3 month deadline.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #11 on: 01 September, 2021, 08:18:29 pm »
My bank's phone app allows me to deposit cheques using simply a photo of the cheque.