Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 152910 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #725 on: 13 August, 2021, 09:48:49 am »
Our first camping trip in the campervan for two years cos of the plague, to a nice site near Grassington.  The current Mrs Socks drove back home, so that I could do a DIY by riding back.  A few zigzags to get up to full distance.

Nice roads through Burnsall and Appletreewick with a few steep climbs.  As it was at the start of the ride I managed those OK, even a fierce set of hairpins after Appletreewick.  Then over Greenhow, the spectacular view was a bit obscured by the morning mist and the steep downhill to Pateley Bridge even more intersting than usual because of traffic lights halfway down.

Gentler roads in North Yorkshire and my usual stop at Little Sessay to refill water bottles at the graveyard tap.  It was very warm and sunny by the afternoon.  And a nice chat with a couple of local cyclists, exchanging memories of cycling in France.  Then my least favourite section, the haul through familiar roads and hills in East Durham and back home.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #726 on: 16 August, 2021, 08:55:35 pm »
Did one yesterday - made the mistake of following an NCN route for part of it - overgrown with 5foot tall stinging nettles, couldn't even see the ground, just the next sign on the route 100m down the path.

« Reply #727 on: 22 August, 2021, 11:46:19 am »
Popped out for a Perm last Sunday with fellow Audax Ecosser Iza.

We did a nice wee figure 8 loop of Scotland on a route called The Eightsome Reel.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #728 on: 24 August, 2021, 10:24:30 pm »
Just did my Randonneur Once A Year...

Veloviewer tiles: 158
Power stations: 2
Velociraptors: 1
Dead badgers: 0
Headwind: lots
Knees: Too many
Ibuprofen: 800mg
Sustrans traps: 1
Giant spiders: 1
Mechanicals: 2
Mycoprotein: 0
Sexual Harassment in Bordesley Green: None (It's safer in the dark?)

« Reply #729 on: 25 August, 2021, 12:39:31 pm »

Just did my Randonneur Once A Year...

Veloviewer tiles: 158
Power stations: 2
Velociraptors: 1
Dead badgers: 0
Headwind: lots
Knees: Too many
Ibuprofen: 800mg
Sustrans traps: 1
Giant spiders: 1
Mechanicals: 2
Mycoprotein: 0
Sexual Harassment in Bordesley Green: None (It's safer in the dark?)

Too many knees? Surely it's tougher with less than 2?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #730 on: 25 August, 2021, 04:46:26 pm »
There was a point where finding that out seemed like a good idea.

« Reply #731 on: 29 August, 2021, 10:56:05 am »
A North Yorkshire DIY yesterday.  Misty and cool first thing, it soon warmed up and turned into perfect cycling weather with a light breeze and clear skies.  Flat route with 2,800' of climbing over 200k.  For a change I felt good and was able to keep up a reasonable pace, even in the last section.  Unlike some rides this year where I've been absolutely knackered towards the end.

Saw a hawk of some description sitting on a post at the edge of the road; lots of rabbits; a flock of grouse taking flight as I got close; and a couple of buzzards.  And loads of pigeons taking advantage of grain spilled from the harvest trailers.

Farmers were working hard bringing in grain and hay and as I got back to the start / finish there was a cricket match taking place on the village green. And I was cheered and picture taken by a group of yoofs in a passing car who presumably hadn't seen a recumbent before.  All in all, a perfect late summer day.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #732 on: 30 August, 2021, 12:45:51 pm »
Not today, but on Friday... I devised a "reasonably flat" 200km from home in East London up to Great Shelford (so not quite Cambridge) and back. In my usual full value fashion I managed to fit in some good tea-stops, including at Cara Coffee, a social enteprise at Great Shelford. I had just been planning a quick Co-op provision pickup there, but couldn't resist the opportunity to have a proper cuppa and a really tasty hot sausage roll. As it turned out it was very useful I had found a sit down lunch stop as I then spent the next 20-30 minutes dealing with the printer about Arrivee envelope proofs - the first version had a small error and they had resent that morning and urgently needed my approval in order to get things in the post before the long weekend. By the time I had phoned home and asked my partner to read the proofs on the PC (they wouldn't open on my phone) it was certainly a full value stop!
I took the Lee Valley towpath option for most of the return from Broxbourne south - probably a bit slower than the roads but much nicer and quieter.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #733 on: 25 September, 2021, 10:28:32 pm »
A pleasant one way 200km to Stonehaven to end the season with 15 points (4 *200, 1 * 300, 1 * 400) a season interupted by illness injury and a wheen of domestic travails.   (EDIT - written in the mistaken belief that the season ends on 30th Sep!)

I had no idea how long Id take even with a tailwind so left home bang on 6am with a train home booked at 1930. 

Played Forth Bridge cycle path roulette and lost.  I chose incorrectly and cycled down the u shaped ramp to join the west path.

The smell of sewerage told me I was in Fife - it cant be good to live near that - and it remained very cloudy until after Glenfarg when the sky opened and it really warmed up as I descended into the open terrain near Baiglie.  Mandatory shite and dangerous driving in and around Perth

I was slower than a slug in maple syrup uphill but weirdly was in no way hungry at my first possible breakfast #2 stop at Perth and instead pressed onto the lovely cafe in Meigle at 100km.  I pondered whether the effects of giving blood on Thursday were a factor, aside from my lack of fitness....I felt lacking in zip but in a way Ive never done before. 

I didnt need any devices for navigation merely recording and without a computer Id no idea how fast I was going - town clocks suggested I was just over 21kph moving speed. 

Stopped again at Montrose at 150km to take on more fluid and took stock for  the final bit. 

Once off the A road just after Marykirk I knew it was a laney finish and I just dawdled home in just over 10 hours. 

Some grub in the Station Hotel and home via train tram and a 3km ride. 

Enjoyable way to bookend the season.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/75923491

« Reply #734 on: 26 September, 2021, 05:18:52 pm »
Yesterday, a 200k DIY from Ponteland.  Started at sunrise with a loop South to the Tyne valley then some of my favourite roads to Corbridge then Hexham.  Bit of cycle path and theñ across the river at Warden and up to Morpeth then Amble and Warkworth.  Lovely day and enjoyable riding so far.

The second half got a bit difficult with what felt like the early stages cramp in my right calf.  Not something I usually suffer from, but I had plenty of time in hand so took it easy on the uphills and had regular stops for a bite to eat and a drink.  Sunny and warm though so still a nice day to be out and about.  Back to Ponteland comfortably within the time limit despite most of the hills, including the long drag up the Col du Shilbottle, being in the second half.

And today checking the bike over I noticed that the seat bracket had bent slightly and as a result the seat was skewed slightly to one side.  (It's a recumbent).  So I think that explains the ache in my leg, and increasing creaks when I put pressure on the pedals.

John Stonebridge

« Reply #735 on: 10 January, 2022, 11:48:10 am »
Yesterday, a DIY200 km starting and finishing in Darlington.  Headed south on the train Saturday pm with Mrs S in tow - she went to York for the day and well so did I albeit by different methods of travel!

Very icy to start at 0730 and with the benefit of hinsight I should have taken the A167 or the service road by the side of the A1 rather than the lanes south through Yafforth.  After a couple of hours the ice threat subsided and I was on my round by Overton and a loop round York using the Yorkshire Grit route out to my halfway  stop at Bilborough Services. 

Leaving Bilborough the sun came out briefly making the stretch to Dunsforth most enjoyable.  Bit of a slog into the breeze to Ripon for a final cuppa before the tailwind assisted bit back to base. 

GPS was playing silly beggars (connected only to a Pebble Explorer power bank) and it switched itself off four or five times - the final time it added a random 24km!.  Duly vexed I purchased and connected to AA batteries at Ripon.   

A slow puncture was identified at Barton but I was in no mood to stop with 8km to go so I persevered with it and even once on its last legs (2km to go) I simply honked / freewheeled to a standstill my way to the finish.  Was a bit wrecked and only managed a pint and a half in the Quakerhouse after, where me and Mrs S were the only customers.  I know how to treat a girl.    :D

My 1st 200km since the end of October and tough despite the lack of hills.  Last 90 minutes in the dark made for slow going.  Still, job done, and now heading back home to civilization in Edinburgh.   

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/81225251

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #736 on: 10 January, 2022, 12:22:45 pm »
That's got shades of Audax Ecosse Easter Arrow all over it, doesn't it!

Good effort.
I need to pick my game up a bit starting now-ish if I'm going to stand a chance of achieving my rather ambitious goals this year!

« Reply #737 on: 30 January, 2022, 09:57:24 pm »
A beautiful blue sky, cold, crisp and sunny with not too much of a breeze gave me near perfect conditions for a trip round one of Tomsk’s perms - Boudicca’s Revenge 200.  My first 200 to boot.  A good run out to St Ives, the old part of town was very picturesque in the sun, and then on to Chatteris which was surprisingly quiet with very few eateries open.  The whole day was full value for wildlife spotting with the list including two kestrels, numerous red kites, several buzzards, two separate herds of fallow deer, and a solitary muntjac.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #738 on: 31 January, 2022, 08:40:52 am »
A beautiful blue sky, cold, crisp and sunny with not too much of a breeze gave me near perfect conditions for a trip round one of Tomsk’s perms - Boudicca’s Revenge 200.  My first 200 to boot. 
Congrats on becoming a randonneur! It's quite a landmark.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #739 on: 31 January, 2022, 05:16:50 pm »
A beautiful blue sky, cold, crisp and sunny with not too much of a breeze gave me near perfect conditions for a trip round one of Tomsk’s perms - Boudicca’s Revenge 200.  My first 200 to boot. 
Congrats on becoming a randonneur! It's quite a landmark.

Thanks.  Numbers two and three were already entered for March and April prior to yesterday’s ride.  I think I might have to ECE February’s planned 100 just in case I catch the bug (no not THAT bug but the RrtY bug).

« Reply #740 on: 31 January, 2022, 06:00:11 pm »
I think I might have to ECE February’s planned 100 just in case I catch the bug (no not THAT bug but the RrtY bug).

The start/finish for that event is not so far for you. My recommendation is always to front load the ECE a bit, eg 60 or 70km to the start. It makes the return journey then just a formality.

Also stick to gritted roads if the temperature is likely to dip. https://www.essexhighways.org/roads-and-pavements/winter-travel/track-the-gritting-lorries

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #741 on: 31 January, 2022, 06:09:57 pm »
A beautiful blue sky, cold, crisp and sunny with not too much of a breeze gave me near perfect conditions for a trip round one of Tomsk’s perms - Boudicca’s Revenge 200.  My first 200 to boot.  A good run out to St Ives, the old part of town was very picturesque in the sun, and then on to Chatteris which was surprisingly quiet with very few eateries open.  The whole day was full value for wildlife spotting with the list including two kestrels, numerous red kites, several buzzards, two separate herds of fallow deer, and a solitary muntjac.

Well done. There were a few of us out on that on same day in August 2020 as a “group” perm.

I’m debating adding a DIY 200 into end of Feb. Already have a Jan 200 and the rest of the months up to August will supply me with the min 200 per month.  Then just need to keep going Sept through Dec to get RRTY 4.  I usually take a break after each RRTY.

« Reply #742 on: 02 February, 2022, 01:31:36 pm »
Thanks to both of you for the comments and advice, all very useful and encouraging.

felstedrider

« Reply #743 on: 02 February, 2022, 02:15:41 pm »

Well done.   I do like Boudicca's Revenge.   Must head out that way again soon.

« Reply #744 on: 11 February, 2022, 09:01:08 pm »
200 km loop including the Khyber Pass ;D

(click to show/hide)

John Stonebridge

« Reply #745 on: 18 March, 2022, 09:29:19 pm »
Took a day off work today and used it to do a 200 arrow, Stirling - Stonehaven via Comrie.  Train from home to Stirling at audax o clock breakfast at McDs while I surveyed the conditions

Very cold all day, was contemplating a DNF up right up to Comrie at 40km due to ice but after that it improved a bit.

Strowan Rd officially closed but passable ditto the road after Kirton of Collace

Chose a weekday route on quiet roads but more lumpy than the alternative. 

Nice day out but definitely a winter 200.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/85093221

« Reply #746 on: 19 March, 2022, 09:08:53 pm »
A 200 from home which also used bits of the Strowan road, but not the closed bit.  A fantastic day out on the bike, including some decent local climbs (Dukes, Sherrifmuir, Comrie Moor, Crow). It was a much climbier 2nd 100 - I seem to do that (finishing over the Crow) and not sure its a very good idea.
On the main road section up the side of Loch Lubnaig I joined 3 young lads also out on a long one.  One of them had a ipod or phone or something playing music in his 'bar bag.  I really enjoyed it  ;D

« Reply #747 on: 20 March, 2022, 09:17:20 pm »
I did a 200K DIY yesterday, from near Diss out to Ely via Newmarket and back via Wymondham.

Going out was lovely, but the ~100k from Ely to Wymondham was a grind into a much stronger headwind than I expected! I often worry that I don't get enough hill riding in but that felt like a proper climb!

« Reply #748 on: 20 March, 2022, 09:30:09 pm »
Subject to the usual validation, a trip around another of Tomsk’s perms - Dick Turpin’s Day Out.  Beautiful spring weather, blue sky, sun and hardly a breeze to start although it clouded over later and it seemed as if the temperature dropped rapidly after about 2pm so that I soon felt the chill whenever I stopped.  The route starts on quiet but gritted roads local to me so the first 50km was familiar stuff but after Lavenham it got into some gorgeous Suffolk lanes and very picturesque villages before heading back into Essex on gritted roads again.  Thanks Tomsk, a route I will be revisiting I am sure.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #749 on: 02 April, 2022, 12:29:09 pm »
Rode the Turra coo perm yesterday, a bitterly cold day but no surface ice thankfully, good fast blat along the northeast riviera to Banff from Nairn (2 languages to get the hang of there, one of the few bits of Scotland where standard English is spoken Into the area whereone of the oldest forms of angelic languages extant is spoken), then up to Turra and Huntly before even more up via Dufftown to Tomintoul, was a decent dump of snow from Dufftown onwards and I spent some time warming up in the lounge of the Richmond eating soup.

Icy plunge to bridge of brown where I must admit I took to 2 paw drive not having the will to force myself up the hill, the descent to Aviemore saw the snow stop and I just got into the beepee intime for some warmth the next visitor got directed to the night hatch, snow returned o  the last elg up slochd and then it was Downhill in the snow before turning back east to Co tour down into Nairn.

Recovering today by doing as close to bugger all as possible as its the Eilean Dubh on Sunday, I'm hoping to scope out the stsrt location by catching Nairn counties match against Lossiemouth.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk