Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333333 times)

Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #1325 on: 25 September, 2018, 01:58:09 pm »
Anyone tried the new Australian offering in the Saturday FOREIGN slot on BBC4?

Yep, OK so far.

No. What can you tempt us with?

Aboriginal Detective sent from 'the city' to assist local police investigating a murder/disapearence in a remote outback community.

Side orders of Troubled families, Local politics and a possible land/resources scam.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1326 on: 25 September, 2018, 03:27:36 pm »
In The Heat Of The Night meets Bluey...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1327 on: 26 September, 2018, 04:01:37 pm »
Bodyguard... Final episode tonight. Should be a corker.

Well, that all went a bit mental. Not an entirely satisfactory ending but still very enjoyable.

Now to catch up on Killing Eve...

This didn't appeal to me at all, until it was recommended by a friend

It reminds be very much of the old avengers, with absurd plot and soundtrack ironically inappropriate to the action.....

However by the first 20 minutes I was hooked!

I don't know why, but I really enjoyed this, and Jodie Comer's amoral character is also somewhat sexy and manages to obtains some sympathy. Sandra Oh is also brilliant.

I loved the whole thing including the plot twists, dark sense of humour and the ending of the series definitely indicates Series 2

Is it Blasphemy to say that I preferred this to the Bodyguard?

« Reply #1328 on: 26 September, 2018, 09:56:30 pm »
I loved the whole thing including the plot twists, dark sense of humour and the ending of the series definitely indicates Series 2

Wikipedia entry for Killing Eve:

Shortly before its premiere [in the US, in April 2018] Killing Eve was renewed for a second season. Filming for the second season started on July 16, 2018. It is set to premiere in Spring 2019.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1329 on: 27 September, 2018, 08:09:53 am »
[Killing Eve] I guess it's pointless moaning at Nuncio, Cunobelin AND wikipedia for spoiler abuse  >:(

:)

Definitely enjoyed the first 2 EPs. I still think it's less than the sum of its parts, thoughbut. The characters are all interesting, but don't *quite* gel.

Nice spot with the New Avengers comparison. I was thinking that the assassin is inspired by Nikita, but with a strong influence from Cumberbatch's version of Sherlock - the slightly comic disregard for the lives of others. Personally I feel no empathy for her, but it's a great character that might grow on me.

(The last really great TV anti-hero I can remember was Dexter. That seems a long time ago now. )

Of course not - you can be wrong without commiting Blasphemy my friend!

(they are very different progs.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1330 on: 27 September, 2018, 08:41:38 am »
Sorry. I've only seen the first 2 episodes too. I didn't think of it as being a spoiler.  Hmmmm...  I'll just have to watch to the end to find out.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1331 on: 27 September, 2018, 09:06:15 am »
If you know there's going to be another series, it does tend to mitigate some of the dramatic tension in situations of life-threatening peril for the main character(s).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1332 on: 27 September, 2018, 11:18:18 am »
If you know there's going to be another series, it does tend to mitigate some of the dramatic tension in situations of life-threatening peril for the main character(s).

Bit like watching the snooker highlights (yes, in a different life I did things like that).
1 guy needs 1 frame to win; the other needs 3.  Quick look at my watch to check how long before the end of the program.  5 mins?  OK, the result of this next frame is obvious.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1333 on: 27 September, 2018, 02:12:00 pm »
Or the final ep. of "Bodyguard":

Lt. Col. Larrington (ret.): He's going to get deaded!
Mr Larrington: No.  No, he is not.  There's another thirty minutes to go.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1334 on: 27 September, 2018, 02:27:28 pm »
But unlike Bodyguard ep 3: She can't be dead really, there are still 3 episodes to go.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1335 on: 27 September, 2018, 04:09:12 pm »
Or [redacted]...
VELOMANCER

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1336 on: 27 September, 2018, 06:46:11 pm »
But unlike Bodyguard ep 3: She can't be dead really, there are still 3 episodes to go.

.. and despite a massive media campaign to convince us she MIGHT still be alive, so we really really need to keep watching. [Even the wonderful Sophie Rayworth was complicit - what is the world coming to??  ::-)  ]

They must know what they're doing - 10 million watched the finale!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1337 on: 28 September, 2018, 09:53:21 pm »
Walking Britain's Lost Railways.

Tonight, Sheffield to Manchester via the Woodhead tunnels. On 5 +1 @ 22:00
VELOMANCER

« Reply #1338 on: 29 September, 2018, 10:09:24 am »
[Killing Eve] I guess it's pointless moaning at Nuncio, Cunobelin AND wikipedia for spoiler abuse  >:(

:)

Definitely enjoyed the first 2 EPs. I still think it's less than the sum of its parts, thoughbut. The characters are all interesting, but don't *quite* gel.

Nice spot with the New Avengers comparison. I was thinking that the assassin is inspired by Nikita, but with a strong influence from Cumberbatch's version of Sherlock - the slightly comic disregard for the lives of others. Personally I feel no empathy for her, but it's a great character that might grow on me.

(The last really great TV anti-hero I can remember was Dexter. That seems a long time ago now. )

Of course not - you can be wrong without commiting Blasphemy my friend!

(they are very different progs.)

My apologies, I tried to be deliberately vague, and not detail anything in the plot

However what has annoyed me, is that for very rarely, I want to read the Luke Jennings novels, but they aren 't easily available, and e-book versions of ii to iv  are not out until next year!

More bizarrely the original Codename Villanelle was a 36 page novella, but is now 225 pages, so a different beast altogether... its it the first 4 in one volume or has it been extended ?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1339 on: 29 September, 2018, 01:19:36 pm »

More bizarrely the original Codename Villanelle was a 36 page novella, but is now 225 pages, so a different beast altogether... its it the first 4 in one volume or has it been extended ?

Google is your friend!

Codename Villanelle - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codename_Villanelle
Codename Villanelle is a 2018 fictional thriller novel by British author Luke Jennings. A compilation of four serial e-book novellas published in 2014–2016, ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1340 on: 29 September, 2018, 02:44:11 pm »
Walking Britain's Lost Railways.

Tonight, Sheffield to Manchester via the Woodhead tunnels. On 5 +1 @ 22:00
So the Woodhead line was 20mins faster than the Hope line. Where have I heard that before mmmm?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1341 on: 06 October, 2018, 12:43:12 pm »
...a cop drama set in Wales that I can't immediately recall the name of (not Hinterland, it's a new one).

Hidden?

Yes  :thumbsup:

Well we stuck it out to the end, but despite being from the same team as Hinterland, it wasn’t in our opinion a pitch on it. Maybe 4, 6 at a pinch episodes worth stretched to 8. I’m not sure if they’ll do a second series, but that should be better as it’ll have to revert to more of a police procedural.

Now for Cardinal.

ETA: Which is excellent
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1342 on: 08 October, 2018, 06:36:20 am »

Google is your friend!

Codename Villanelle - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codename_Villanelle
Codename Villanelle is a 2018 fictional thriller novel by British author Luke Jennings. A compilation of four serial e-book novellas published in 2014–2016, ...

Thanks, it is the fact that the whole of the new book seems to be more than the original novellas. maybe different print, but there appears to be significantly more pages in the book than just the four novellas

The books are darker than the TV series, and  there are significant differences in the back story
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #1343 on: 10 October, 2018, 09:01:21 am »
Found The Adventure Show on iplayer. On Categories/Scotland. it's an outdoors programme and featured some crazy marathon from braemar to Aviemore. Also Ride to the Sun (bet some of you have done it.) A 100 mile night ride carlisle - Edinburgh. It's free, you just turn up, ride (bring your lights etc)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1344 on: 12 October, 2018, 02:27:41 pm »
Sunday sees the start of 'Butterfly', a drama about a trans girl. Predictably, the bigots on Mumsnet and similar hate fora are in meltdown, and I anticipate an explosion in the press when it is aired.

I hadn't realised that the writer is Tony Marchant, who gave us one of my fave soppy films, 'Different for Girls', which featured Ian Dury.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #1345 on: 16 October, 2018, 08:22:37 pm »
On iPlayer, so technically available tonight

"Our World War" is a series of "Drama Documentaries" on WW1

First dealt with teh first "real day" of the War, the second with Pals battalions, and the "cowardice that we would now diagnose and treat as PTSD, both through the words of the individuals involved

Very brutal, vivid and the unusual thing is the music. Using punk and modern music clashed at first, but does work, and I suspect if it gets the younger generation involved then worth it

Well worth watching, but do be prepared for a difficult watch in places

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1346 on: 16 October, 2018, 08:58:44 pm »
If that is the series I remember being shown a while ago, the first episode deals with the Mons battle and includes a machine gunner in a Fusilier unit throwing his weapon... spoiler stopped part way through.

If so, yes. Brutal, but compelling.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #1347 on: 06 November, 2018, 09:16:10 am »
This month's Adventure Show on BBC Scotland (iplayer) has a big feature on grinduro a road/off road/gravel bike event on Arran.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1348 on: 11 November, 2018, 09:22:05 am »
Is everyone watching Informer? If not, you ruddy well should be, it’s brilliant. Acting, script, story are all top notch.

It seems to have escaped the hype that Bodyguard and Killing Eve have had but is better than both.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1349 on: 11 November, 2018, 10:52:20 pm »
What channel?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.