Author Topic: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker  (Read 120419 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #75 on: 22 May, 2016, 11:26:54 am »
Fantastic riding!

I just just hope that starting so hard will not come back to haunt her. But this might be her taking it easy as she warms up, just like TG and Tarzan did.

Though as Auntie Helen said riding around in "circles" for a year would do my motivation/head in.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #76 on: 24 May, 2016, 04:40:19 pm »
Updates?

I don't have a Strava membership.

« Reply #77 on: 24 May, 2016, 04:52:46 pm »
Updates?

Here's a spreadsheet we're using to track her progress-
https://goo.gl/reemOY

red marley

« Reply #78 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:16:11 pm »
Updates?

See also the Visualizing the OYTT thread and gicentre.org/oytt which I am currently updating daily.

red marley

« Reply #79 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:27:55 pm »
Here's a spreadsheet we're using to track her progress-
https://goo.gl/reemOY

I may have misinterpreted the spreadsheet but I think there may be a small error in the 'Womens Record Pace +/-' calculation that is underestimating Amanda's progress - see hidden column M which I would expect to have a fixed figure of 81.1 (Dovey's annual average daily distance) throughout. Unless this figure is showing something else?

« Reply #80 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:34:58 pm »
Thanks, Joe. I somehow screwed that column up.
Not a spreadsheet guy by a longshot...  :)

« Reply #81 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:21:54 am »
I almost hate to ask this question; does anyone know if Amanda is using other means of tracking and uploading her data other than strava?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #82 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:45:12 am »
Link to spot tracker on here  http://www.ultracycling.com/wp_news/?p=1030
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #83 on: 25 May, 2016, 12:26:54 pm »
ty for the link.

I politely asked on the 'gomiles' facebook page if all logistical issues had been sorted but didn't get a response. No information about which adjudicating body Miles thinks he's using for his restart.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #84 on: 25 May, 2016, 01:40:15 pm »
But Amanda's spot tracker is not exciting to study as she goes round and round Flatwoods wilderness park.

On a different point .. we provided huge sums for Steve to see him thru his year .. although any residual surplus was going to an undefined charity .. ( and in my opinion there must have been a large amount in hand when he stopped ) .. would it be a nice gesture by Steve to support Amanda with a worthwhile sized donation... your views please.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #85 on: 25 May, 2016, 02:16:35 pm »
But Amanda's spot tracker is not exciting to study as she goes round and round Flatwoods wilderness park.

On a different point .. we provided huge sums for Steve to see him thru his year .. although any residual surplus was going to an undefined charity .. ( and in my opinion there must have been a large amount in hand when he stopped ) .. would it be a nice gesture by Steve to support Amanda with a worthwhile sized donation... your views please.
I would be quite happy for Steve to use that money to live on while he recovers from his attempt, my donations didn't have a mileage condition attached :)

If he has any spare though, I think that would be a good suggestion.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #86 on: 25 May, 2016, 03:13:13 pm »
I don't have an opinion.  It's Steve's money.  He can do what he wants with it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

red marley

« Reply #87 on: 25 May, 2016, 03:19:16 pm »
I don't have an opinion on how Steve spends his money either. I do think we should resist the temptation to suggest how he might spend it though.

More generally, I'd encourage anyone hoping Amanda breaks the record to donate via her GoFundMe page

« Reply #88 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:05:00 am »
Fantastic riding!

I just just hope that starting so hard will not come back to haunt her. But this might be her taking it easy as she warms up, just like TG and Tarzan did.

Though as Auntie Helen said riding around in "circles" for a year would do my motivation/head in.

Looking at Amanda's rides on Strava so far, it looks to me that she'll be able to sustain what she is doing but there's no guarantee and I don't know all the facts.
What really gets you is the day to day grind that erodes your strength.
I wasn't taking it easy at the start, I had dark, cold and ice to contend with. Having to stop to check that the road ahead wasn't icy at night time did slow me down quite a lot. On one day I was riding with a journalist and at the end of the day I told him to stop very slowly. We were both riding on ice. We walked on the grass verge to get past it.
The real difference between Amanda, Kurt and I, is that Amanda got fit before she started. My original plan was that I'd get faster during the year. I did, but not by as much as I expected. Kurt also seemed to think the same as his original plan was that he'd get faster during the year. What Kurt actually did was to start faster than he expected, then slow down, then speed up again at the end. Kurt said that he wasn't especially fit when he started.
Amanda's circuit looks very good too. Generally, I think circuits aren't ideal because you're guaranteed a headwind and I prefer to fight the wind when it's eased off in the evening rather than in the middle of the day when it is stronger. But Amanda's circuit looks to be well sheltered from the wind and very flat. Perhaps too flat? I (and a number of others) think that very gently undulating is better. But it seems to be working for Amanda.
Whether Amanda can keep it going remains to be seen, but from my point of view, I think she can.
The fact is that nobody knows the best way to do a Year Record attempt and all we have so far is theories and ideas that haven't been properly tested and nowhere near enough attempts taken place to have any real data to work from. I think it will take at least 20 years before we have any real clues, let alone know the best way.
Speed does make a difference but also so does the number of hours you can ride per day without doing too much. There's a balance between the two. I think I may have worked out my limit for number of hours, but then again, that isn't certain. I think that Kajsa was, and probably still is at her limit for number of hours per day, even though she is spending as many hours riding as I was resting. Kajsa did have a very hard time during April and into early May. I saw first hand what she was going through and it really was very tough, but she has pulled through. I expect that some people don't think that Kajsa's mileages are very impressive by comparison, but all things considered, I have a lot of respect and admiration for Kajsa.
It's not impossible that Amanda could go through something similar. Kurt also had a hard time after several months, whereas I had a forced break. Sort of.
I wonder if I could actually ride an hour or two longer each day if I was stronger. Not something I would account for in planning going by the information I have so far, but it can't be ruled out.

« Reply #89 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:25:52 am »
Amanda also has something else going for her; youth.

She's very young and that does help considerably with recovery. Young people heal and recover more quickly.

It's also true that the mental fortitude to tackle super-long-endurance events tends to come with experience and age. Only time will tell if Amanda has this.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #90 on: 26 May, 2016, 05:24:45 pm »

It's also true that the mental fortitude to tackle super-long-endurance events tends to come with experience and age. Only time will tell if Amanda has this.

She's got it, and in spades. I know it's rare for an ultracyclist her age, but as strong as she is on the bike there's no doubt that mental toughness is her biggest strength.

red marley

« Reply #91 on: 27 May, 2016, 07:39:36 am »
Apologies, a mini-rant on its way...

I must admit to being a little surprised at how little attention Amanda's WR attempt is getting from here and elsewhere. And I can't help but feel that gender may have something to do with it. I realise it's early days, but then so was Steve's and Kurt's and Miles' and Bruce's at the start and they seemed to have received much more attention. It is instructive to read the first few pages of the Kajsa thread which mentions the fact that her (relatively) modest target of 81 mpd may be the reason her rides were not capturing the attention that Kurt and Steve did. Now we have an outstandingly determined and strong athlete who is demonstrating a consistency and pace not seen by any other other modern rider. She may blow up in month three, which is a testing month for any OYTT challenger, not least in the stifling heat and humidity of a Florida July, but surely she's worth a little more cheering on the way? I notice that on Strava, Steve still received more than five times as many 'likes' for his seven minutes on the turbo trainer as Amanda did for her 233 miles on the same day.

« Reply #92 on: 27 May, 2016, 08:36:58 am »
Yes.

Go Amanda, that's astonishing performance!

« Reply #93 on: 27 May, 2016, 08:41:42 am »
Apologies, a mini-rant on its way...

I must admit to being a little surprised at how little attention Amanda's WR attempt is getting from here and elsewhere. And I can't help but feel that gender may have something to do with it. I realise it's early days, but then so was Steve's and Kurt's and Miles' and Bruce's at the start and they seemed to have received much more attention. It is instructive to read the first few pages of the Kajsa thread which mentions the fact that her (relatively) modest target of 81 mpd may be the reason her rides were not capturing the attention that Kurt and Steve did. Now we have an outstandingly determined and strong athlete who is demonstrating a consistency and pace not seen by any other other modern rider. She may blow up in month three, which is a testing month for any OYTT challenger, not least in the stifling heat and humidity of a Florida July, but surely she's worth a little more cheering on the way? I notice that on Strava, Steve still received more than five times as many 'likes' for his seven minutes on the turbo trainer as Amanda did for her 233 miles on the same day.
Some of us are scared to comment much in case she blows up.  I check on her several times a day on facebook.

I'd really love to see her take Kurt's record (all due respect to Kurt, I grew to really appreciate his attitude and humour throughout his year). It would be fantastic to see the record stretched further. If Amanda did this, it would be a huge two fingers in the air to the opponents of full-length pro races for women.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #94 on: 27 May, 2016, 08:43:01 am »
More likely the novelty of HAM'R has worn off. We all have a much shorter attention span these days.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #95 on: 27 May, 2016, 08:43:47 am »
I've put money towards Amanda's attempt but I've never ridden with her and am unlikely to ever meet her. I'll never go on Facebook and haven't done the Strava thing since she started, so the only information I have about her progress is here. There is no personal connection, so it is hard to feel too involved.

What is there to be said? She is going great guns right now but it is too early to call. Bruce started impressively too but fell in a screaming heap (for a couple of reasons). Remember, Kurt wobbled badly about 3 months into his year.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #96 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:05:49 am »
I'm thinking much the same. I dont really have a *reason* to be following Amanda in detail.

- Steve was a mate,
- He was breaking new ground,
- He was riding through places I knew (inluding my parish!).
- Kurt was "the opposition", so his progress was interesting (but his routes and other details rarely were).
- Steve and Kurt tried out most of the main variables, which we all debated at length, but we pretty much exhausted those debates*

- I got bored of the details of Kurt AND Steve later on. It was all just more 200+mile days, retracing known roads.

So I dont have anything _against_ Amanda's attempt - it's just not exciting me. I cant help that. :-\

*Steve's post yesterday backs this up a bit; there isnt enough evidence available to sustain any more detailed debates on tactics.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #97 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:11:42 am »
I've put money towards Amanda's attempt but I've never ridden with her and am unlikely to ever meet her. I'll never go on Facebook and haven't done the Strava thing since she started, so the only information I have about her progress is here. There is no personal connection, so it is hard to feel too involved.

What is there to be said? She is going great guns right now but it is too early to call. Bruce started impressively too but fell in a screaming heap (for a couple of reasons). Remember, Kurt wobbled badly about 3 months into his year.

Match you .. and agree with you.  YACFers ..  can we find a few bob to help her .. her funding target is tiny compared with the support we poured into Steve.

Anybody settling in to a 365 day 20mph 215/220 miles a day challenge is a real endurance athlete . and deserves at the very least least huge respect .. if not a few bob to help.

I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #98 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:13:09 am »
I must admit that Amanda's ride excites me more as Kajsa's. Kajsa is riding in territory I'm completely familiar with, 150-200km/day. So that's not a *real* challenge. Amanda's rides are more of the superhuman kind.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #99 on: 27 May, 2016, 11:22:28 am »
I'm thinking much the same. I dont really have a *reason* to be following Amanda in detail.

- Steve was a mate,
- He was breaking new ground,
- He was riding through places I knew (inluding my parish!).
- Kurt was "the opposition", so his progress was interesting (but his routes and other details rarely were).

I made an effort last year to support Steve, because I have ridden with him and I wanted him to have personal success.

It is precisely because I followed the efforts last year that I have a passing interest in Amanda's attempt.  However, I wont be doing the daily thing.  I wish her all the best, and will follow from a distance.  Part of me is trying to resist the temptation of the daily ritual of voyeurism.
Allez Amanda