Author Topic: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker  (Read 120431 times)

Re: A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #100 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:13:04 pm »
I150-200km/day. So that's not a *real* challenge. Amanda's rides are more of the superhuman kind.

Really? for 365 days straight? I'd call that a challenge.

As to Amanda's attempt, I just have no empathy with her as I'm not (like others) on facebook etc and have little knowledge of her. And frankly it's boring. Herculaen, but boring. Nothing to do with gender, I barely followed Kurt apart from Jo's graphs. And at least with Kajsa we get the occasional vlog to amuse and update us.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

red marley

« Reply #101 on: 28 May, 2016, 07:45:59 am »
Amanda has been keeping a brief daily diary on Facebook if you want to find out more about how she's doing. You don't need a Facebook account to read it:  https://www.facebook.com/goamandacoker

« Reply #102 on: 28 May, 2016, 08:20:40 am »
Wondering why on the Strava elevation profile for Amanda's rides e.g. Dy13 there is a gradual increase in elevation; the altitude for a position near the beginning of the ride is say 20m, and at the end of the ride, for the same place, 46m?   Atmospheric pressure?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

red marley

« Reply #103 on: 28 May, 2016, 08:54:50 am »
Yes, gradual change in air pressure during the day. A GPS experiment from 10 years ago.

« Reply #104 on: 28 May, 2016, 12:01:16 pm »
I am watching, just not posting as I don't have anything earth shatteringly exciting to say  ;D

Good luck Amanda! I will be truly amazed if you can keep up the pace you've been doing so far  :o

« Reply #105 on: 29 May, 2016, 08:20:04 am »
Doing a back of the envelope calculation, for Amanda to do the 'Flatwoods loop' ~11km (and western approach road x2/dy) for the remaining 351 days, would require ~30 loops/day to get 76077 / 122434km.  I wonder if riding the same circuit for a year could be done - mind boggles.  I guess riding with others really helps. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #106 on: 29 May, 2016, 09:22:09 am »
I guess it depends on your mental outlook more than anything else.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #107 on: 03 June, 2016, 09:16:14 am »
I'm watching but not commenting much. I didn't comment on Steve or Kurt's attempts much either, I didn't have much to add as my idea of endurance riding is a commute in a north wind!

I had actually met Steve and he was riding places I know so there was more interest for that reason. Nothing to do with gender (I'm a girl myself :))

I am amazed at all these riders!!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #108 on: 04 June, 2016, 09:31:09 am »
This is just astonishing.  Day after day Amanda piles on the miles.
I've not commented much as I don't really have any comprehension of what she is doing, nor do I have anything knowledgeable or interesting to add to the discussion.

Is she piling it on now in order to take it a little easier later in the year?  Or will she just keep going?
Is the human body and/or mind able to cope with a year of this?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #109 on: 05 June, 2016, 09:16:25 am »
First tropical storm of the season for Florida may affect Amanda in a few days http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

« Reply #110 on: 06 June, 2016, 08:17:47 am »
266!

She isn't slowing down
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #111 on: 07 June, 2016, 04:18:23 pm »
Amanda has been keeping a brief daily diary on Facebook if you want to find out more about how she's doing. You don't need a Facebook account to read it:  https://www.facebook.com/goamandacoker

Facebookblockers at work now so can't follow  :(  Her mileage looks hugely impressive but, as others have pointed out, its a couple of months in when it seems to be hard to sustain.  Fingers crossed though and will follow this thread for info.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #112 on: 08 June, 2016, 08:02:11 am »
Her parents locked her bikes up and wouldn't let her ride!

Some little issue like tornadoes and stuff . . .

Storm abated later on so they relented and she fitted in a mere 160-odd miles for a short day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #113 on: 08 June, 2016, 11:41:49 am »
Her parents locked her bikes up and wouldn't let her ride!

Some little issue like tornadoes and stuff . . .

Storm abated later on so they relented and she fitted in a mere 160-odd miles for a short day.

Soft

« Reply #114 on: 09 June, 2016, 10:54:15 am »
I don't know what all this miles stuff means.... but 377 km yesterday!  Jeez. Amazing

« Reply #115 on: 09 June, 2016, 02:44:37 pm »
I don't know what all this miles stuff means.... but 377 km yesterday!  Jeez. Amazing

1 mile = 1.6 km approx.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #116 on: 09 June, 2016, 02:47:53 pm »
Jeez. Amazing

We had a year of superlatives last year.  I think that I am all superlatived out.  Words can't express ....

Of wait, there is a word for that.  Ineffable.

« Reply #117 on: 09 June, 2016, 03:42:01 pm »
Jeez. Amazing

We had a year of superlatives last year.  I think that I am all superlatived out.  Words can't express ....

Of wait, there is a word for that.  Ineffable.

Sorry, that's not quite right, I can eff it.

It's fucking amazing.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #118 on: 10 June, 2016, 08:09:07 am »
Hwyl
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #119 on: 10 June, 2016, 09:59:37 am »
Hwyl

That's a great word.  Not sure I'll be dropping into casual conversation in the next couple of days.

Gruby Mits

• I am in this only for the cake factor
« Reply #120 on: 10 June, 2016, 02:03:03 pm »
On the theme of enthusiasm - or perceive lack of it in the forum - for Amanda's attempt... good point to raise!

I was thinking about this ref Kajsa (lack of enthusiasm on the forum) if anything... since her attempt could have been outshined by the more impressive attempt so far and fame of Amanda, but that is just a background thought of mine.

Personally I have little to add, but I am following both women eagerly. I feel more empathy towards the attempt of Kajsa as it is closer to the way of the original record, as it was Steve's vs the more "speed-bare-bone" approach of Kurt and Amanda.

The British ones to me seem more of an adventure the overseas one more a professional race. Both are great and as impressive and admirable... is just what floats your boat I guess.  ;D

I do not think that if there is a lack of crowd clapping and cheering is due to Amanda being a woman, gender inequality is heavy in mainstream sports but would doubt it applies here (no issue of equal pay-sponsors or a lesser capable athlete right?! She is getting no retribution and is thrashing the previous male records so far it seems)
Maybe we have been spoiled with Steve, Kurt and now Kajsa to follow that the general attention is diluted and not the case of not interest in Amanda amazing progress, grit and guts?
What? Turn left that way?

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #121 on: 11 June, 2016, 09:34:04 am »
The British ones to me seem more of an adventure the overseas one more a professional race.

On that note, does anyone have an idea of what the split is between miles cycled on the bent v the upright?

I was one of those that disliked the inclusion of the bent.  It went against my authenticity sensitivities.  But hey, I'm getting old.

« Reply #122 on: 12 June, 2016, 05:14:48 am »
What an astonishing cyclist. At first look I thought the attempt looked unsustainable, mentally and physically.
But a look at her strava data shows that she is very familiar with the loop, has train up for the attempt and has plenty of company and support on her rides. Also she seems to be riding well-within herself.

Hardened, consistent, measured and tough.
I've got no doubt that TG's next attempt will have to target a distance greater than currently stands.

Part of me is sad. Long distance riding is "meant" to be something old people are better at, "endurance gets better with age". Not so sure about that now, and youth definitely recovers faster.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #123 on: 12 June, 2016, 10:21:36 am »
It may be that a slightly older athlete of Amanda's ability and talent could go further for longer than she now can, but she is demonstrating that extreme athletic achievement is essentially a young person's field. Of course there are a very few exceptions, but with all of our vicarious experience of elite athletic endeavour, whether on foot or on a bike, this shouldn't be a surprise!

Phil W

« Reply #124 on: 12 June, 2016, 10:30:01 am »
Remember Tommy Godwin was 25 when he set the record. Endurance is far from just an older persons game.