Author Topic: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker  (Read 120314 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #200 on: 14 September, 2016, 11:54:15 am »
Ahem!

cyclotron
/ˈsʌɪklətrɒn/

noun
Physics

noun: cyclotron; plural noun: cyclotrons

an apparatus in which charged atomic and subatomic particles are accelerated by an alternating electric field while following an outward spiral or circular path in a magnetic field.

:P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #201 on: 14 September, 2016, 03:07:15 pm »
 cyclotron /"sVIkl<schwa>trQn/ n.M20. [f. CYCLO- + -TRON.]
1) Physics. An apparatus for accelerating with an electric field charged atomic particles revolving in a magnetic field.
2) Sport. An individual sent from the future to cycle excessive distances.

English is a fluid language, and new homonyms are introduced all the time.  ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #202 on: 14 September, 2016, 11:36:38 pm »
Tropical Storm Julia has decided to batter mainland USAnia further north.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Phil W

« Reply #203 on: 15 September, 2016, 10:38:38 pm »
Ahem!

cyclotron
/ˈsʌɪklətrɒn/

noun
Physics

an apparatus in which charged atomic and subatomic particles are accelerated by an alternating electric field while following an outward spiral or circular path in a magnetic field.

Well Amanda does travel round in a circle in Earth's magnetic field. You can even see the initial acceleration track on her Strava map.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #204 on: 16 September, 2016, 10:01:04 am »
Ahem!

cyclotron
/ˈsʌɪklətrɒn/

noun
Physics

Well Amanda does travel round in a circle in Earth's magnetic field. You can even see the initial acceleration track on her Strava map.

Exactly what I was thinking (ahem)!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Phil W

« Reply #205 on: 16 September, 2016, 08:59:07 pm »
About 5-6 days away from exceeding Billie Fleming's record.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #206 on: 17 September, 2016, 07:25:21 am »
From her FB post, her grandma is also Swedish.  Something in the genes?

« Reply #207 on: 21 September, 2016, 02:34:05 pm »
About 5-6 days away from exceeding Billie Fleming's record.

Amanda posted on facebook to say she expects to pass Billie's record at 9am local time today.

So she's now done it - assuming today's ride is going to plan.

https://www.facebook.com/goamandacoker/

« Reply #208 on: 21 September, 2016, 02:47:37 pm »
If she's beaten Billie's record, does that mean that Kajsa's record won't count - assuming that she too beats Billie's record?
Sherwood CC - Squadra Giallo Verde

« Reply #209 on: 21 September, 2016, 02:50:26 pm »
Kajsa is not going for the HAMR record, she is riding under Guinness rules.
Also, the record is only 'recorded' at the end of the attempt.

Kajsa will complete her year first, so she will be recorded (assuming she passes billie) as the new record holder by Guiness, regardless of Amanda's mileage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #210 on: 21 September, 2016, 03:35:54 pm »
Kajsa is not going for the HAMR record, she is riding under Guinness rules.
Also, the record is only 'recorded' at the end of the attempt.

Kajsa will complete her year first, so she will be recorded (assuming she passes billie) as the new record holder by Guiness, regardless of Amanda's mileage.

Given that Guiness have recognised Kurt's record I would guess they are going to have to do the same for the first women. So Kajsa claims holds the record to a few months then it goes to Amanda.

It must be very demoralising to be riding but already beaten.

red marley

« Reply #211 on: 21 September, 2016, 03:54:29 pm »
It may be that your first paragraph turns out to be true, but I don't think it is a given. At the point Kajsa embarked on the record, the Guinness requirements were much stricter than UMCA's (single bike, no drafting). When, after she started, Guinness subsequently recognised Kurt's record, Guinness got themselves into a bit of a pickle about what rules would be applied to Kajsa. Kajsa then agreed with them that she would continue her 'strict' version and has done since then.

It may be that Guinness will list records in different categories (e.g. drafting vs non-drafting), so we don't yet know how history will view the various attempts. Personally, I view Kajsa's attempt, assuming she goes further than Billie, as a 'moral record' in its own right and far from second best.

In some ways it is Alicia who is really caught between two versions of the record. She is following 'Amanda rules' but will be second to her in distance and although ahead of Kajsa, she will be under the more relaxed regime of UMCA.

« Reply #212 on: 21 September, 2016, 05:17:40 pm »

In some ways it is Alicia who is really caught between two versions of the record. She is following 'Amanda rules' but will be second to her in distance and although ahead of Kajsa, she will be under the more relaxed regime of UMCA.

Different age-group, though.

« Reply #215 on: 22 September, 2016, 11:32:51 am »
It may be that your first paragraph turns out to be true, but I don't think it is a given. At the point Kajsa embarked on the record, the Guinness requirements were much stricter than UMCA's (single bike, no drafting). When, after she started, Guinness subsequently recognised Kurt's record, Guinness got themselves into a bit of a pickle about what rules would be applied to Kajsa. Kajsa then agreed with them that she would continue her 'strict' version and has done since then.

It may be that Guinness will list records in different categories (e.g. drafting vs non-drafting), so we don't yet know how history will view the various attempts. Personally, I view Kajsa's attempt, assuming she goes further than Billie, as a 'moral record' in its own right and far from second best.

But Kajas has broken several of the Guiness rules as I believe Guiness altered their requirements as they decided to recognise UMCA.

Given the internet presence of both record attempts both riders and dot watchers know who has beaten Billie's distance. So even if Guiness were stupid enough not to recognise Amanda's record both Kajsa and the public know that the Guinness number isn't the world record which is what this is all about.

So yes, your point about moral victory is quite right.  If I was Kajsa I'd be doubly mortified to come in at third place. Which ever way you look at the attempts none of them are easy and they are all valid.

« Reply #216 on: 22 September, 2016, 12:48:35 pm »

But Kajas has broken several of the Guiness rules as I believe Guiness altered their requirements as they decided to recognise UMCA.

No she hasn't, you are completely and utterly wrong.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #217 on: 22 September, 2016, 12:55:34 pm »
Guinness rules were always bloody stupid, which was why Steve went the UMCA route, pushing them towards an acceptable set of rules. Guinness have put themselves and Kajsa in an absurd position.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #218 on: 22 September, 2016, 12:56:41 pm »
Regardless of records etc... Remember that Billie did not set out to create a record. She set out to promote women's cycling. I firmly believe Kasja has embraced this as part of her quest, particularly with her sweat pledges. I would never consider one minute of her time on the road wasted as a result.

red marley

« Reply #219 on: 22 September, 2016, 01:29:02 pm »
^--- Good point well made.

« Reply #220 on: 22 September, 2016, 02:25:49 pm »

They (Guinness) did say they would change the rules to match UMCA some months into Kajsa's attempt (to accomodate Amanda's attempt), but when Kajsa complained - she'd been following the "no drafting, no recumbent" rules as originally agreed - they reverted to the original set for her record attempt. So Kajsa hadn't (and hasn't afaik) broken any Guinness rules at all. 

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #221 on: 22 September, 2016, 02:33:09 pm »
Whoever passes the total first has got the record first, regardless of when their attempt finishes.

« Reply #222 on: 23 September, 2016, 11:41:56 am »

« Reply #223 on: 23 September, 2016, 03:47:53 pm »
Whoever passes the total first has got the record first, regardless of when their attempt finishes.

I don't agree.  The record is for an entire 365 days, not for who reaches a certain distance first.   Theoretically Amanda could stop now and Kajsa could put on a huge burst and pass Amanda's cumulative total to date.   However, eventually it is likely that Amanda will eclipse all existing distance records in a 365 day period but her record(s) will not be ratified until the 365 day period is completed.   

Kajsa will hopefully reach her target and gain the record upon completion of her 365 days, Amanda will have her reward when her 365 days is ended. 

Having met Kajsa she is a very motivated person who has set out to achieve something in her own way and is doing it.   I believe that she has the requisite admiration and respect for Amanda but she is not competing with her - something that many people seem to think otherwise about.   There is some deja vu about all this nonsense.

Incidentally, I think that you will find that Kajsa has not broken the Guinness rules once.   There was an issue early on when Guinness made a mess with their own rules which required them to clarify but Kajsa was never in breach and remains thus.   

Both riders should be respected, celebrated and admired for their own achievements. 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #224 on: 23 September, 2016, 04:04:03 pm »
I've said nothing about Kajsa and rules.

Amanda is the current women's year record holder. Suggesting anything else is incorrect.