Author Topic: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker  (Read 119936 times)

Re: A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #425 on: 28 March, 2017, 03:30:28 am »
Amanda's HAMR Month Record Stat Tracking- https://tinyurl.com/HAMR-Month

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #426 on: 28 March, 2017, 01:23:29 pm »
According to the spreadsheet I linked to above that makes it another 2506 miles to beat Kurt's record. We are now getting into the realms of "even I would stand a chance of doing that by day 365". :D

Looks like you've set yourself a challenge :)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #427 on: 29 March, 2017, 10:37:57 am »
3/25/2017   315   264.6   73291.4
3/26/2017   316   270.6   73562.0
3/27/2017   317   264.4   73826.4
3/28/2017   318   267.1   74093.5

Amanda's last 4 days and current total. In 8 days she will overhaul Kurt.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #428 on: 29 March, 2017, 10:46:39 am »
She's within 1000 miles of Godwin.  At this rate she should overhaul him on Saturday.

« Reply #429 on: 29 March, 2017, 12:38:47 pm »
3/25/2017   315   264.6   73291.4
3/26/2017   316   270.6   73562.0
3/27/2017   317   264.4   73826.4
3/28/2017   318   267.1   74093.5

Amanda's last 4 days and current total. In 8 days she will overhaul Kurt.

She will break Kurt's record on day 326. That leaves another 39 days to push the record even farther  :o

« Reply #430 on: 29 March, 2017, 06:26:00 pm »
At the current mileage she could beat Kurt's record by 10,000 miles

« Reply #431 on: 30 March, 2017, 01:46:02 pm »
At the current mileage she could beat Kurt's record by 10,000 miles

And she has already put rather a lot into the ladies record!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #432 on: 30 March, 2017, 02:11:52 pm »
I have to say that Amanda is riding this year absolutely brilliantly. A steady 230 miles a day for 10 months and then apply the rocket boosters. I make her last 5 days' total 1336.9 miles.

Unless she chooses to have another go, I doubt that her record will ever be beaten.

« Reply #433 on: 30 March, 2017, 02:35:03 pm »
Unless she chooses to have another go, I doubt that her record will ever be beaten.
Never is a long time, but I think that any successful attempt would have to be on a similar basis - laps of a flat course with little chance of accidents, somewhere with relatively benign weather.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #434 on: 31 March, 2017, 07:16:27 am »
Never is a long time, but I think that any successful attempt would have to be on a similar basis - laps of a flat course with little chance of accidents, somewhere with relatively benign weather.
.....also with a support crew and someone to cook so they are well fed.

About the record, Amanda is a truly great rider and would leave me in the dust, but if a man did this like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Strasser and really set his mind to it I have no doubt it could be done. If you look at distance records the speeds men do are faster than women. In RAAM the fastest male speed is 16.42 mph and female is 13.32. This difference is also seen in other competitive cycling. Look at the CTT records. The only person to buck this trend was Beryl Burton who still hold the women's 12 hour record (she must have been the greatest champion of all time!). So if the record is to be broken it will be a male, 35 or under who has a racing pedigree and can ride consistently at 23mph so they get enough rest each day.

Quite a commitment.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #435 on: 31 March, 2017, 11:37:51 am »
I'm not sure if being male is necessarily an advantage in this case.
And I don't think you can extrapolate from RAAM and other distance records.
HAMR takes a certain mindset, recovery, consistency, team-work.
I have no doubt if the record is to be broken, it is most likely to be a female, 30 or under.  ;D

« Reply #436 on: 31 March, 2017, 11:50:17 am »
^this.

The 'male' physical advantage really diminishes on the year challenge. If Christoph Strasser had everything Amanda has then perhaps he would take it. However, that's just ifs. It means nothing. Until one of these super blokes (who are definitely much better than the wimminz) actually does it, it's all meaningless conjecture.

Amanda is absolutely incredible and her resilience - physically and mentally - is phenomenal.

</fanboi>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #437 on: 31 March, 2017, 01:47:20 pm »
So if the record is to be broken it will be a male, 35 or under who has a racing pedigree and can ride consistently at 23mph so they get enough rest each day.

"Male under 30 with racing pedigree" certainly fits the mould of previous year record riders quite well.  There was Ossie Nicholson, the existing pro, and then Tommy Godwin who'd sat at or near the top of the domestic scene for several years and was looking at the Tour de France after his year record, except that the second world war got in the way.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #438 on: 31 March, 2017, 01:52:01 pm »
Emily Chappell has some very interesting things to say about this sort of thing.

http://thatemilychappell.com/2016/09/long-distance-ladies/ is a recent article, but there are several on this topic throughout this most excellent blog. WARNING: ONCE YOU START READING EMILY'S STUFF, YOU MIGHT BE THERE A LONG TIME!  :thumbsup:

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #439 on: 31 March, 2017, 06:22:00 pm »
I'm not sure if being male is necessarily an advantage in this case.
And I don't think you can extrapolate from RAAM and other distance records.
HAMR takes a certain mindset, recovery, consistency, team-work.
I have no doubt if the record is to be broken, it is most likely to be a female, 30 or under.  ;D

What I was trying to say was that if a racing male sets his mind to it he will stand a good chance. The mind must play a large part in this and given that male under 30 are perhaps not consistent enough, maybe it is the mind that will overcome the physical advantage that men have.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #440 on: 31 March, 2017, 06:53:17 pm »
It is looking as though Amanda will overtake Tommy Godwin on day 322.

« Reply #441 on: 02 April, 2017, 07:23:33 am »

75160 miles after 322 days.  Well done Amanda!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #442 on: 03 April, 2017, 07:42:30 pm »

75160 miles after 322 days.  Well done Amanda!

You hold an 'unbreakable world record' for 76 years and then in a couple of years, just like buses, a couple of people come along and relegate you to third. Chapeau Amanda.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #443 on: 04 April, 2017, 03:00:30 pm »
Kurt's record should be toppled tomorrow. I reckon he might smart a bit from that, but I don't think he's got it within him to have another go. I know he said something to that effect after his year ended, but not being the Top Dog any more might make him think about it.  ;D

« Reply #444 on: 04 April, 2017, 03:36:42 pm »
Kurt did something incredible; he broke the record they said was unbreakable.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #445 on: 04 April, 2017, 03:48:45 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #446 on: 04 April, 2017, 03:52:13 pm »
I posted this in the strava comments on Steve's ride yesterday...

"Steve beat Amanda cokers climbing total yesterday .... day 30 v day 323. Shows you what he is up against"

I really didn't mean it as a criticism of Amanda Coker but someone must have taken it as so as they blocked me on Strava!

Pretty sad and petty that I now cant follow her rides.   If you scroll back a page or two in this thread you will see I was nothing but complimentary of her attempt and I have often posted positive messages on her strava feed....its a strange world!

IJL

« Reply #447 on: 04 April, 2017, 04:14:07 pm »

I posted this in the strava comments on Steve's ride yesterday...

"Steve beat Amanda cokers climbing total yesterday .... day 30 v day 323. Shows you what he is up against"

I really didn't mean it as a criticism of Amanda Coker but someone must have taken it as so as they blocked me on Strava!

Pretty sad and petty that I now cant follow her rides.   If you scroll back a page or two in this thread you will see I was nothing but complimentary of her attempt and I have often posted positive messages on her strava feed....its a strange world!

It seems rather petty to block you for such a benign comment.  AC's rides are remarkable achievements but TG's efforts have an extra dimension being on the open roads and on roads many of us will know well.  It's easier to identify with someone who is riding in the same conditions as we are.  It does seem that there's a lot less posting in here than there was on the previous attempt

« Reply #448 on: 04 April, 2017, 04:27:52 pm »
Kurt did something incredible; he broke the record they said was unbreakable.

... but he didn't know it was unbreakable. That's why he broke it  ;)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #449 on: 04 April, 2017, 04:47:19 pm »
If us armchair observers are not permitted to compare and contrast the attempts what is left?
I also wonder what is the point in setting a record in such circumstances. Is not the point of a record to highlight that one athletes effort, compared to that of other athletes, is superior? Without that comparison what purpose does a record serve?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.