Author Topic: Buxton McDonalds  (Read 1749 times)

Buxton McDonalds
« on: 04 August, 2023, 09:16:12 pm »
I have a long ride coming up this weekend which will find me in Buxton sometime between 2am and 4am.  Can anyone advise if the McDonalds has now opened and if it has, if it is open to foot traffic during these hours.

If not I'll stock up with comestibles before I leave Derby (one of my planned stops) and will refill water bottles at the public Buxton water spring.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Buxton McDonalds
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2023, 10:26:50 am »
There ought to be a McD webstite that tells you the opening hours of each branch.

But
I and others have been refused service at a "24 hours" McD because not being in a car.  If I'd been less hungry I'd have refused to budge until the most senior person present came out and explained to me why it was safer for me to cycle another 11 miles (I think it was) down the A11 without food than whatever unexplained safety reason they were claiming was shy they couldn't feed me.  And point out that a LH drive car wasn't going to be that great at their kiosk.  And that a blanket ban on cycles at the drive through only made sense when the walk in part was open etc.

TLDR: if it's unsafe to cycles to queue up for McD kiosk service it's unsafe for cycles to queue up at traffic lights etc.

I filled in a feedback form and got a reply that related to pedestrians, and no reply to my reply to their reply.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2023, 11:21:05 am »
Just to add a counterpoint to this, I remember reading on here that someone had used the McDs app to order and pay for food in advance so when they got to the drive thru window it was less hassle to give them the food than to try and refund the payment.

I subsequently tried this myself at silly o’clock in the morning at Barton Mills McDs and got my food from the drive thru with no problems or comment from the staff. YMMV of course.

« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2023, 05:56:37 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  As a regular visitor here I'm familiar with shenanigins around getting food from McDonalds.  I asked here because Buxton doesn't feature on their website, but sometimes websites can take a while to catch up with reality.  So it looks like stocking up at the BP next to the Derby McDonalds.

« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2023, 07:05:43 pm »
Just to add a counterpoint to this, I remember reading on here that someone had used the McDs app to order and pay for food in advance so when they got to the drive thru window it was less hassle to give them the food than to try and refund the payment.
When ordering with the app, most McD's with a drive thru have converted to Click & Serve, you get assigned a numbered parking bay and they bring it to you. I've only used it once and the food came out without comment, I suspect they're no keener on you doing that than riding through, OTOH it ought to be harder for them to object.

Back on topic - What new McDonalds? I don't think the one proposed on Station Rd (Old Aldi site) has been granted planning permission yet, though it's been dragging on for over a year.  Or is there another one?

« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2023, 08:25:44 pm »
' That would be related to the ' if has now opened' bit of my original post.

« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2023, 08:57:04 pm »
' That would be related to the ' if has now opened' bit of my original post.
Ha, I'd hoped there was another one, it would be useful.