Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576345 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #575 on: 22 August, 2011, 02:09:10 pm »
1) I've got a cold
2) The day after my birthday I have to run a seminar
3) My mid-year review is on my birthday

I am not a happy camper.  :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #576 on: 22 August, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »
Biorythms Andji Biorythms.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #577 on: 22 August, 2011, 05:25:43 pm »
Mr R is grumbling.

We did a life expectancy test.  Despite me answering absolutely honestly about being overweight, smoing, drinking etc...

...my life expectancy is 5 years more than his  ;D

Remind him that it is not reality, just data modelling.   :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #578 on: 22 August, 2011, 09:27:15 pm »
Stupid Digestive System!  More than 20 seconds warning would be good, thanks.   :hand:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #579 on: 23 August, 2011, 07:48:39 am »
Bobb's on his way back to Essexshire.  :'(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #580 on: 23 August, 2011, 03:16:19 pm »
School uniform shop: £130 for a few items of school uniform? You're having a laugh; bastards! That's without the blazers, which ASDA are kindly supplying at £10, as opposed to your £25. And no, I don't want your nice jacket to go over the blazer.

School: You're the main reason for this, you gits. Insisting on having your logo on PE stuff does not a cheap outfit make. I shall let Miss AWL get her feet under the table before I vent my feelings about this...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #581 on: 23 August, 2011, 03:30:23 pm »
I bet there's loads of official PE kit (tracksuit trousers and the like) that the PE teachers never allow the kids to wear, too...   >:(

« Reply #582 on: 23 August, 2011, 03:44:05 pm »
Oh, had I done the buying at ASDA, it would have cost <£50. The school has two suppliers that you have to use, and they know their privileged position in the supply chain all right!

Why, oh why do the sports socks have to have a logo on them, FFS?!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #583 on: 23 August, 2011, 03:51:14 pm »
I bet there's loads of official PE kit (tracksuit trousers and the like) that the PE teachers never allow the kids to wear, too...   >:(

Ah, but it's character-building see, to have to have the stuff, but not be allowed to wear it (even in the deepest darkest winter) ...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #584 on: 23 August, 2011, 03:55:13 pm »

Ah, but it's character-building see, to have to have the stuff, but not be allowed to wear it (even in the deepest darkest winter) ...

Yeah.  Builds a character that's put off anything sport-related for life.   :facepalm:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #585 on: 23 August, 2011, 04:08:34 pm »
Oh, had I done the buying at ASDA, it would have cost <£50. The school has two suppliers that you have to use, and they know their privileged position in the supply chain all right!

Why, oh why do the sports socks have to have a logo on them, FFS?!

... this wouldn't be a PRIVATE school by any chance  ??? - it's the sort of tricks they get up to

(When I was a lad the local private school - not where I attended - used an outfitter's owned by the headmistress's husband - total control of the supply chain)

Rob

« Reply #586 on: 23 August, 2011, 04:23:09 pm »
No, Rob, it's a comprehensive, though one with ideas of pretension, clearly.

« Reply #587 on: 23 August, 2011, 04:26:40 pm »
Logos on socks is a new one to me.

'school approved' jumpers and sweatshirts, with embroidered logos only available from a single supplier (who is raking in - cheap cheap jumpers costing £70   >:() - that is normal state school crap.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #588 on: 23 August, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »

Oh, flashbacks, flashbacks. I went to secondary school at Salendine Nook High School, and it was a school rumour that it was the highest school above sea-level in the country. No idea if that was true or not, but it was definitely high and the quickest route was up Cowrakes Road, down New Hey Road and across the rec off Goldington Avenue - hilly and very exposed. It was about a mile and a half's walk each way and winters were generally cold and snowy. Several of us wore trousers in the winter, which prompted tellings-off from teachers (teachers: you should be in your uniform skirts, you're bringing about moral decay and the collapse of civilisation - us: well, the Muslim girls wear trousers and that's ok so why can't we?) until our mums wrote snotty letters advising the teachers that while the weather was bad we'd be going to school dressed as our parents saw fit and if they had a problem with it, to talk to them, not us.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #589 on: 23 August, 2011, 06:47:49 pm »
Don't forget hockey without the aid of gloves.  But at least the dog poo was frozen solid.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #590 on: 23 August, 2011, 06:49:53 pm »
Oh, and netball in tiny skirts with no gloves - cornbeef legs and bleeding fingers ahoy.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #591 on: 23 August, 2011, 06:50:20 pm »
Oh god, hockey is an evil game. Whoever decided getting gangs of teenage girls together with big feck off wooden sticks just right for shin breaking and teeth removal was a good idea was some sort of psychopath.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #592 on: 23 August, 2011, 06:59:00 pm »
Oh god, hockey is an evil game. Whoever decided getting gangs of teenage girls together with big feck off wooden sticks just right for shin breaking and teeth removal was a good idea was some sort of psychopath.
Mixed hockey is even worse!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #593 on: 23 August, 2011, 07:04:14 pm »

Mixed hockey is even worse!

Most definitely.  When the boys of our year were forced (quivering, quaking and crying) to play the girls, not only did we lose heavily, but the injury list was 90% male.  :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #594 on: 23 August, 2011, 07:15:36 pm »
I did, briefly, get away with borrowing my brother's rugball shinguards and wearing two sets back to back.  Increased my hockey-survival time no end (as I'm sure you can imagine, I was one of the targets).  Eventually the PE teacher noticed and made me remove them.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #595 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:04:02 pm »
ugh fucking P.E  :sick:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #596 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:07:26 pm »
Amen to that.
Even to this day, PE lessons are the reason I loathe football (was crap at it), can barely tolerate rugby (was one of the 'big lads' so ended up in the bloody scrum) and actually really enjoy cricket ('cos I was good at it)

The mixed hockey thing is true, though - I swear I still have flashbacks to the one and only 'lads vs. lasses' game that was played at school. Blood on the playground indeed, and most of it from the lads ...

« Reply #597 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:20:53 pm »
Our P.E. teacher was the most savage, sadistic bastard I've ever encountered. If you were good at sports, he loved you. If you were crap, or even indifferent like I was, you were not worth bothering with - except for his inevitably painful distractions. He was an example of how testosterone overload was/is not a good thing. There were two P.E. teachers & he was the head of the section. Every year there was a new deputy, as they clearly couldn't tolerate his neandarthal demeanour.

Ironically, hockey - which he didn't teach - was one of my better sports.

« Reply #598 on: 24 August, 2011, 12:11:34 am »
I did, briefly, get away with borrowing my brother's rugball shinguards and wearing two sets back to back.  Increased my hockey-survival time no end (as I'm sure you can imagine, I was one of the targets).  Eventually the PE teacher noticed and made me remove them.

we were recommended to wear shin pads for hockey. I can still remember being selected to demonstrate defending the ball in a drill with the teacher. when I just planted a leg forward he tapped it with the stick so I grinned and said shin pads.

PE improved in sixth form, the options of table tennis and cycling became available. but also further maths clashed with PE so I was exempt in upper sixth.

« Reply #599 on: 24 August, 2011, 12:32:10 am »

Oh, flashbacks, flashbacks. I went to secondary school at Salendine Nook High School, and it was a school rumour that it was the highest school above sea-level in the country. No idea if that was true or not, but it was definitely high and the quickest route was up Cowrakes Road, down New Hey Road and across the rec off Goldington Avenue - hilly and very exposed. It was about a mile and a half's walk each way and winters were generally cold and snowy. Several of us wore trousers in the winter, which prompted tellings-off from teachers (teachers: you should be in your uniform skirts, you're bringing about moral decay and the collapse of civilisation - us: well, the Muslim girls wear trousers and that's ok so why can't we?) until our mums wrote snotty letters advising the teachers that while the weather was bad we'd be going to school dressed as our parents saw fit and if they had a problem with it, to talk to them, not us.

From which I deduce you lived at or near Outlane?  I had a mate lived opposite The Spotted Cow.