Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 251839 times)

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #675 on: 15 May, 2014, 06:59:38 pm »
My garlic has rust.  >:(

Nothing I can do about it, apparently, except hope that I can still harvest a reasonable crop. Most of the plants are pretty big, & have been for quite a while, so I may still get decent sized bulbs.

I also have a few in pots at home, & they're unaffected - and huge..

Doesn't seem to be bothering the onions. According to the RHS there's a good chance they'll be unaffected. But I won't be transplanting any leeks to the currently bare patch next to the garlic.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #676 on: 26 May, 2014, 04:25:26 pm »
Yesterday I finished the hanging gardens of Dan (our garden rises to 3rd storey height in about 25m and I've been putting in wooden retaining walls for the terraced bit in the back half). The parts that I did last year have weathered in a bit and look better than the newer sections. Today we put some plans in and I got the bits to make a small pond, though by the time I got back I had lost enthusiasm for mucking about in the mud.

« Reply #677 on: 01 June, 2014, 10:20:11 pm »
Shed at the top of the garden taken apart and taken to the tip. Whoever put it up had laid it on a few old bits of slab and some sand. Inevitably one corner had ended up below the soil line and rotted beyond salvage. I've been keeping it at bay since we moved it, but now its time for a new shed. In the process many spiders had to find a new home and we found a collection of snail shells and old charcoal that I presume rats had collected.

Also put a planting tub in the garden as a little pond.

« Reply #678 on: 02 June, 2014, 12:23:54 pm »
Pigeons had started getting at the cabbages, & I'd seen white wings fluttering around 'em, so I thought it was time to give them some protection.

I had some tanalised battens recovered from a neighbour's bathroom rebuild, & lots of netting left behind by the former plot holder, so I knocked together some frames to hold the netting. Plant ties to fasten bits of net to each other (the only piece of the fine stuff anywhere near big enough had been bagged by the neighbour we share the plot with for her currants & gooseberries) & the frames, a few pegs to hold down edges, & voila! Cabbages covered, & not a penny spent. The nails & plant ties cost, of course, but they've both been sitting around for ages (at least 10 years, for the nails).
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

spindrift

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #680 on: 12 June, 2014, 03:55:42 pm »
Cleared a bit more of the overgrown beds and planted some stuff that could have done with going in ages ago, but we'll see what happens.
Getting there...

« Reply #681 on: 13 June, 2014, 11:43:06 pm »
Weeded.

Cut away some of the grass which had put roots into the pond, which should slow down the loss of water from it, so we don't have to top it up so much. We'd left it until now because it was providing cover for the frogs & toads. They have less now, but I think it's still plenty. I hope we didn't disturb them too much. Avoiding disturbance was another reason for not cutting it, but they seem used to us now, from us topping up the water. They usually hang around while we do it. Middle toad goggled at us from the middle of the pond while we did the grass clearing, but stayed in place.  :thumbsup: Pot the frog had come out earlier, but hopped off in a huff when Mrs B started cutting back the grass. Didn't see Notpot the other frog today, or either of the other toads. They seem to keep away from the pond.

After weeding, put cages over the sorry remnants of the choi sum. It was looking pretty damn good a few days ago - & then pigeons happened. Stripped every plant of most of its leaves in one day. I've planted some more in little pots at home, in case the stripped ones don't recover.

The feathered rats went for the neighbouring radishes while they were at it, but didn't touch the shiso. That's looking healthy, as is the other batch of radishes.

Celery's been planted out for a while, & is thriving. Onions are getting admiring comments: some of them are huge. Ate one tonight, & it made my eyes water. Quite potent. Had a look under a potato plant to check progress, & got a few baby new potatoes, but not enough to do any more.

The Japanese turnips looked very miserable after being transplanted (they'd been in a big pot), but have almost all perked up now. One of the Japanese cucumber plants has died. I think it got overheated when I had them under plastic. Should have taken if off earlier. The others are flourishing, though, shooting up.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #682 on: 15 June, 2014, 08:36:47 pm »
Went to pick my strawbs. Found them all gone.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #683 on: 15 June, 2014, 08:42:58 pm »
Went to pick my strawbs. Found them all gone.

I think they broke up in 1980.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #684 on: 17 June, 2014, 04:43:29 pm »
Part of the disunion?
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #685 on: 17 June, 2014, 04:44:56 pm »
I went out and pruned back the tree that's keeping the rain off the veggie beds.  Then I pruned back the tree that tries to block our access to the back garden.  Then I poured myself a cup of tea.  need to clear the last of the branches and water the plants later.
Getting there...

Ruth

« Reply #686 on: 18 June, 2014, 07:14:14 pm »
I've planted up some pots and hanging baskets in my back yard.  The baskets were here when I came, but I've replanted them for this summer, really just with a few random annuals so the yard didn't look too bare.  I brought the pots from my old house, again they were just quickly planted up with flowers as I didn't know when or where I would be moving house.

I've just seen this page http://www.deborahsilver.com/blog/tag/nicotiana-mutabilis/ and it's made me think I might like to be a bit more adventurous in my next container garden.  Again, my new place has a back yard I'll be able to sit in, but this one will accommodate my car (off street parking is good!).  I'm thinking I might even try to make some screening with trellis or something to section off the parking.  It'll all have to be containers though, the ground is all concrete.  Some really beautiful containers might make it something really special though. 

IMG_1246 by ruthturner3, on Flickr

This is now.    Sunshine in the morning in the summer, very private, very quiet, but on a Tuesday evening you can hear the bellringers practice at St Cuthbert's down the hill.  I love that.

I was thinking it might be nice to paint the metal furniture - maybe something mad, like bright pink.  Do hammerite do pink?  It's all a bit rusty now, more gris than verdi, so it needs done.  My new yard has white painted walls as well.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #687 on: 18 June, 2014, 07:47:11 pm »
There's a couple pink ones on here.
http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/direct_to_rust_metal_paint_smooth_finish_colour_mixing.jsp

Don't know if either are bright enough.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruth

« Reply #688 on: 18 June, 2014, 07:49:36 pm »
I just saw that site M, I like the way they've mixed up different colours in their sample pictures.  I wonder if B+Q or Wilko''s would order some funky colours in for me?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #689 on: 18 June, 2014, 09:30:48 pm »
I cleared away the bits of tree I hacked off yesterday and trimmed back some brambles.  Then weeded the cabbages and watered everything.
Getting there...

« Reply #690 on: 22 June, 2014, 11:15:39 pm »
Dug out the bolted daikon. All gone to pot. Nothing edible. In the compost. But we're eating delicious lettuce (assorted), coriander, parsley, rocket, radishes, garlic, onions & new potatoes, & a few raspberries & strawberries. We'll have edible cucumbers & peas soon, & Japanese turnips (like big white mild radishes). We plan to eat our first shiso (a Japanese herb) tomorrow.

Mrs B decided to use the wheelie water butt (inherited from previous tenant) as I'd intended before noticing the crack in the bottom, i.e. filling it at the tap, wheeling it around the plot & dipping into it for water to pour on the beds. Much easier than trekking back & forth with watering cans (hoses verboten). She thought the crack was small enough that it'd hold water long enough - and she was right!  :thumbsup:

The plot has had a good watering.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #691 on: 08 July, 2014, 04:54:56 pm »
A very busy, if Quixotic, 24 hours.  I've been weeding and watering, of course, but planted some potatoes which had sprouted in the cupboard, and some broad beans from the community allotment we hadn't got round to eating quickly enough.  We'll see if they come up, though I suspect they won't.  Then I earthed up the spuds we planted earlier in the year.

I moved the strawberries into the sunshine in the hope of ripening the fruit before the snails get it.  And cleared some more of the fourth bed, though the brambles looked up at me with puppy eyes and I spotted the blackberries coming on nicely.  Maybe I'll leave it till the fruit is over.

Today I got out our tiny strimmer, and, thus armed, went into battle against the hayfield which has taken the place of our garden.  With a degree of success, though my hand is still buzzing twenty minutes later.

Beans and tomato are flowering.  Spuds and cabbage growing well.  Garlic putting out roots.  Pansies being a splash of colour.  Shallots coming up.  Onions making slow progress.  Celeriac...well, I think it might be doing OK, but I don't have a good record with root crops. :-[ 

I think we've been pretty lucky this year, considering we've had two years without being able to do anything, started late this year, and have had to do the gardening around the needs of a very curious bairn.
Getting there...

« Reply #692 on: 08 July, 2014, 08:24:53 pm »
Just been out feeding all the containerised plants plus the tomatoes in the greenhouse.
That used to be part of a weekly ritual; every Monday evening. 'Feed and Fettle'. Tie in the tomatoes and anything else which needed it. Remove side shoots. Feed.
I used to really enjoy that. But somehow, like others have been finding with regard to bikes, the 'mojo' isn't quite there anymore.
I mean, there's lots to do out there, but I'm in here wittering on the computer.

Suggestions?
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #693 on: 08 July, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »
No idea.  Personally, I'm scanning negs at the moment, so, while it's doing, I pop out and do something.

We had the first decent amount of produce today - chard.  It was nicer than I expected.  :)
Getting there...

« Reply #694 on: 10 July, 2014, 01:02:35 pm »
We've had a few meals with chard. We're doing well with greens, what with the chard, (Japanese) turnip & radish greens, & komatsuna.

Had some peas, but a disappointing crop this year. Hoping for better from the beans. Lots of flowers on them.

Onions & garlic are very sucessful, having to give away cucumbers, & we've started on the potatoes.

Lots of baby tomatoes, so fingers crossed.

« Reply #695 on: 14 July, 2014, 01:24:32 pm »
I'm still astonished at how well our little yard-en (see what I did there?) is growing. My mum set us off and is now jealous of our little pocket of green and colour. We have herbs, potatoes, courgettes, wild strawberries, a cherry tree, nasturtiums, lavender (four types, in fact), cosmos, snapdragons, a freaky purple-and-yellow South African daisy that looks like it's fallen off a Dr Who set (Woolly got it free off the market), and lots of other colourful plants whose names I have failed to learn. Indoors, our chilli plant has almost reached the ceiling and is making an escape attempt out of the kitchen window.

We just need to find a use for the dark creeper-corner where the coal shed used to be. The ivy and honeysuckle are not doing well there as they don't see much sun.

Ruth

« Reply #696 on: 14 July, 2014, 09:31:20 pm »
Pictures please Vicky?

« Reply #697 on: 15 July, 2014, 12:24:57 pm »
Ooh, there's an idea. I'll take some when the yard(en) isn't full of washing. :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #698 on: 16 July, 2014, 07:19:51 pm »
Yarden is Hebrew for Jordan...

« Reply #699 on: 17 July, 2014, 02:54:33 pm »
Yard & garden are from the same root. Variants of the same word.