Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 251832 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #800 on: 15 May, 2016, 11:48:21 am »
planted the courgettes out last week thinking the last of the frosts had gone.  They got hammered by the rain instead. Just made some backup direct sowings.

Resowed the Cos lettuce after the local cat had a play with the germinating seedlings. Also resowed chard and beetroot which I think got hit by the late frosts.

Plus a bit of general pruning of the rambling rose, fig tree and a couple of shrubs.

It's hot out there already, having a rest before lunch now.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #801 on: 15 May, 2016, 10:30:27 pm »
Planted out cabbage seedlings & put a big frame covered in butterfly & bird proof netting over them. Emptied out lovely rich compost from the bottom of a bin.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #802 on: 20 May, 2016, 05:22:16 pm »
Planted out courgettes on compost heap / potted up Vampire chili plants into big pots >> conservatory / potted up 6 tomatos into big pots >> conservatory / reconstructed larger cloche of polythene for lettuce, salad greens / put 50 runner bean plants out in shed to harden off / removed a few of remaining dandelions  ;) thought about cutting grass :(
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #803 on: 21 May, 2016, 05:18:32 pm »
Removed the cat poo from the planters with the little jasmine plants in, and replanted the one that was completely dug up.  I hope it survives.  Put some big stones over the bare soil to discourage further activity, I'll have to move the stones again when the sweet pea plants arrive from the growers but that's all right.

I can't decide whether to plant some sweet peas to intertwine with the honeysuckle by the back door.  They're perennial sweet peas, with no scent, but the honeysuckle is scented.  I wonder whether the sweet peas might overwhelm the lonicera *ponders*
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #804 on: 21 May, 2016, 08:46:30 pm »
Cleared (first pass) about 150 sq m of this

« Reply #805 on: 22 May, 2016, 08:32:27 pm »
Finally got some of my gardening mojo, if not properly back, at least within reach.
The tomatoes are planted, ten plants in five grow bags along by the garage and seven (I've no idea why it's seven but that's what I grew last year) in the greenhouse.
The greenhouse also has closer to the correct number of panes of glass/perspex in it.
And all the plants which overwinter in said greenhouse are now back outside.
Doesn't sound a lot when written down like that but it does seem to have taken most of the day.
This obviously has nothing to do with the very nice meal with very nice drinks we had last night.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #806 on: 29 May, 2016, 08:42:56 pm »
I had some fun cutting the grass. Some areas of the plot- especially the edges- had really long grass. I didn't fancy tackling it with shears. Considered buying a strimmer but I remembered someone on here- probably on another thread- suggesting a scythe*. That seemed a bit much so I bought a japanese sickle.

First time out with it and I did the plot plus the pathway leading to it. Didn't take long to get the hang of it and I've still got all my fingers.

*this must've been it, actually suggested a sickle.
I chose the sickle for a similar reason, I didn't want to walk through a busy residential area carrying a scythe- especially if the football was on, the jokes about DEATH would be too much.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3588.0

« Reply #807 on: 29 May, 2016, 08:53:54 pm »
Not sure how much more allotmenting I'll be doing though, this week the government have approved the disposal of our allotment for development. It is in a pretty central location only 15 minutes walk from the town centre.

Might get another one, not sure yet. When we got this plot (Ms P is the plot holder) about 12 years ago we lived in a one-bed flat with no outside space. Now we have a one-bed flat with a small garden, not big enough to grow large quantities of stuff to eat but it does provide some pottering opportunities. Currently growing some carrots in a container, some radishes, some tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries.

« Reply #808 on: 30 May, 2016, 08:46:33 am »
Not sure how much more allotmenting I'll be doing though, this week the government have approved the disposal of our allotment for development. It is in a pretty central location only 15 minutes walk from the town centre.

I was musing on this yesterday with another plotholder. My end of the allotment site is prime building land with potentially good road access and several overgrown plots.
The two plots to my left are untended (although one is currently let) the one to my right has a tenant who turns up once in a blue moon, and the one opposite hasn't has a tenant for about two years. There are several other vacant plots nearby, so I do wonder how much longer we've got.
Anyone want an allotment in Leicester?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #809 on: 05 June, 2016, 06:30:20 pm »
Cleared (first pass) about 150 sq m of this ...

Not quite on the scale of Ham, but I've been progressively trying to get my back garden back to a state where I can do something useful with it.  I just had another hack away at the growth, and sprayed some herbicide deeper than I could before, since I can now get there!  Zev is not amused, since I've closed her access to the garden tonight, to minimise her exposure to it.

I found that I have some garden furniture that I did not know existed!

Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #810 on: 05 June, 2016, 10:51:57 pm »

I was musing on this yesterday with another plotholder. My end of the allotment site is prime building land with potentially good road access and several overgrown plots.
The two plots to my left are untended (although one is currently let) the one to my right has a tenant who turns up once in a blue moon, and the one opposite hasn't has a tenant for about two years. There are several other vacant plots nearby, so I do wonder how much longer we've got.
Can you deliver it to Reading?  ;D

There's a bit of a shortage of plots round here.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #811 on: 08 June, 2016, 12:11:15 pm »
Blasted garlic has blasted rust. Realise I done it by putting too much manure in the solid prior to sowing last September. Fool! Should I strip as much of the blasted leaves off, and still leave in the ground do you think?

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #812 on: 08 June, 2016, 07:24:08 pm »
The grass seed I raked in on Saturday teatime was up this morning.  It's amazing how quickly it germinates in the heat - if you can keep the soil moist.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #813 on: 04 July, 2016, 11:51:21 am »
Done a bit of tidying-up. Mowed some of the blasted grass walkways we've inherited, from our absentee landlady, who now resides in France, but still has the allotment in her name. Tackled a few weeds that have been encouraged by the seemingly incessant rain and mildish-warmish weather masquerading as an English Summer.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #814 on: 04 July, 2016, 01:26:20 pm »
Blasted garlic has blasted rust. Realise I done it by putting too much manure in the solid prior to sowing last September. Fool! Should I strip as much of the blasted leaves off, and still leave in the ground do you think?
My garlic had rust. I pulled it all up last week, & the bulbs are fine, mostly ready to lift anyway.

We have one bulb left of last year's garlic, so it's just in time.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #815 on: 05 July, 2016, 11:36:28 pm »
The daikon is bolting, so I pulled up the most affected. The roots are small, but very tasty. Mrs B is very pleased with the flavour.

Lifted some kabu as well, & it's also pretty good.

Potato leaves are looking sorry for themselves so I rummaged around under a plant & came up with my first tater of the year.

Got up all the autumn planted onions. Spring planted ones are coming along nicely.

Ate our first home-grown cucumber of the year.

More rhubarb than we know what to do with.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #816 on: 08 July, 2016, 11:17:38 pm »

I'd say yes, but I'd have to be an absentee tenant, and the MIL is a bit past it these days
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #817 on: 09 July, 2016, 08:43:47 am »
 The right hand tenant has obviously had a letter from The Committee, because when I called in yesterday he'd strimmed everything down to ground level.
I'm seriously wondering about asking about taking on the other plot, but putting it all down to orchard/fruit as a relatively low maintenance way of keeping the plot in production and keeping (some of) the weeds off my veg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #818 on: 09 July, 2016, 10:15:06 pm »
Picked some very nice raspberries today.

« Reply #819 on: 10 July, 2016, 08:13:56 am »
Picked some very nice raspberries today.
Fresh raspberries from the bushes we inherited on our plot were a complete revelation to me. Heavenly nectar.

« Reply #820 on: 11 July, 2016, 09:55:00 am »
Stamped out about 25lb of cut-comb honey from the super I'd taken to Hull and sold it at Avenues Open Gardens.

« Reply #821 on: 11 July, 2016, 09:25:08 pm »
I went to see the plot steward about the overgrown plot next to mine - he's given the current tenant notice, which will expire at the end of the month.
He's delighted that I'm willing to take it on, and is happy with my outline for fruit bushes and low growing trees. Once I've taken tenancy of Plot2 he'll arrange for a couple of trailer loads of wood chippings to be delivered to the plot for me to use as mulch, and will let me have more if up I need them.
And it looks like I get another shed, and a falling-down-shed too!
All in all, a very successful visit to the site. (Assuming the current tenants don't suddenly get all enthusiastic)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #822 on: 11 July, 2016, 10:16:25 pm »
Yesterday we harvested our bumper crop of two pea pods.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #823 on: 19 July, 2016, 02:13:27 am »
Picked 2 out of 6 rows of dwarf french beans, approx 1/100th of the beetroot, a few rhubarbs and a punnet of mange-tout - I should have taken the trailer...

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #824 on: 19 July, 2016, 11:57:22 am »
 :thumbsup: