Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 249342 times)

Si

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #150 on: 12 June, 2009, 10:43:01 am »
Onions are a goner.  :'(
Got onion bug....it's slowly sweeping across the whole of the Midlands apparently.

Do you think it's too late to try again if I can find some more onion sets, some enviro-net and a new patch to put them in?

« Reply #151 on: 12 June, 2009, 02:38:12 pm »
Aren't onions very sensitive to the length of the day or something?  I started mine off last year (first veg ever) in the shade in mid-May, they hardly grew at all with the 'summer' we had.

« Reply #152 on: 12 June, 2009, 04:22:38 pm »
I had my first strawberry today (a Cambridge Delight)   :thumbsup:

Nom, nom, nom...

I feel like a proud dad, after the strawbs doing nothing at all last year, apart from putting out runners whenever my back was turned, I've got my first little green strawberry budettes.  I'm not expecting to ever get to eat them...that would be too much to hope for, but it's an advancement on last year so I'm happy.

Get netting up pronto, or all you'll get is a very fat happy blackbird.

<---- voice of experience.  :-[
Already been at mine. :(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #153 on: 12 June, 2009, 04:29:42 pm »
I had my first strawberry today (a Cambridge Delight)   :thumbsup:

Nom, nom, nom...

I feel like a proud dad, after the strawbs doing nothing at all last year, apart from putting out runners whenever my back was turned, I've got my first little green strawberry budettes.  I'm not expecting to ever get to eat them...that would be too much to hope for, but it's an advancement on last year so I'm happy.

Get netting up pronto, or all you'll get is a very fat happy blackbird.

<---- voice of experience.  :-[
Already been at mine. :(

I have netting up. The inedibly sour white currants that the pigeon has been eating have been doubling in size and turning red - it's quite a novelty!
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #154 on: 15 June, 2009, 12:03:53 pm »
I chopped down more weeds (that were hiding strawberries :thumbsup:), and I tried to mulch a corner of the plot with compost and cardboard.  We shall see how that progresses.
I failed to put netting up because the allotment shed doesn't stock it as they can't compete with B&Q. :(

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #155 on: 15 June, 2009, 03:44:21 pm »
I've picked another 2kg of so of strawberries and a lesser quantity of raspberries and cut the last aspargus spear of the year.

Did a lot of weeding and watering and started building a treehouse ;D
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Si

« Reply #156 on: 17 June, 2009, 07:37:51 pm »
Lifted our first new potatoes of the year.  They were quite nice (better than shop bought), although not as good as the Lady Cristle I had last year - teach me to use the cheapo option from Wilkos!

« Reply #157 on: 19 June, 2009, 09:42:51 am »
I chopped down more weeds yesterday and did some watering.  I'm hoping to be able to pick strawbs tomorrow... :)

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #158 on: 19 June, 2009, 12:37:54 pm »
What I've been doing is getting rid of all the work we did over the last two years on our tiny garden in preparation for small area of bought-in turf - coz that's how the landlord wants it so new tenants aren't 'put off'... It's a little bit sad really, but we have managed to make larger borders than there were before and therefore keep the strawberries, raspberries and rhubarb etc.

However, planning what we are going to do with our new place is more than compensation for this! (see 'an acre of our own'...)

« Reply #159 on: 21 June, 2009, 04:47:55 pm »
I discovered a wasps nest yesterday  :o while chopping back weeds (again).  The usual method - stand over the hole and then act surprised when a bunch of wasps appear (I was fortunate only to be stung once).  The only anti wasps stuff in Homebase said not to use on the ground or near food.  I didn't buy that, but it means I still don't have a means of getting rid of them (except the evil way - parafin and a match).
I also did a little digging, and picked strawberries and rasberries.  :thumbsup:
With a bit more digging I can transplant the last of my french beans from their pots.  The leeks don't seem to have grown at all, and are quite hard to see.  The onions and garlick are going great guns.
Once the beans are in I've a lot of digging to do before I can put in the spinnnach, broccoli and lettuce.  Thankfully they don't need to go in the ground for another few weeks...

Si

« Reply #160 on: 21 June, 2009, 08:33:35 pm »
today got covered in blood and goo. Magpie had got itself tangled in a net on one of the other plots, damaged its foot. I managed to get it free eventually after it had gooed all over me, yuck.  Once disentwined it seemed to fly off quite happily. I am now expecting it to repay the favour by telling its mates to leave my swedes alone  :demon:

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #161 on: 22 June, 2009, 08:49:42 am »
Today I completely cleaned out my worm composter (worms and their house are going to a local allotmenteer)... it is a rather smelly job, and quite tricky because worms don't always do what they are supposed to (hide from the light) and are also surprisingly fast.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #162 on: 22 June, 2009, 06:09:02 pm »
I had the first of the courgettes today.

Nom, nom, nom....  :thumbsup: :P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #163 on: 22 June, 2009, 09:07:26 pm »
I had the first of the courgettes today.

Nom, nom, nom....  :thumbsup: :P

Where?   ;) :demon: ;D

« Reply #164 on: 24 June, 2009, 01:04:00 pm »
I picked more rasberries and stawbs yesterday and did some watering.
Is it possible to freeze raspberries without destroying them?  There are an awful lot there to be picked right now. :)

« Reply #165 on: 24 June, 2009, 01:08:49 pm »
Today we had the first grapefruit ever from our tree  - and there are more to come!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Regulator

« Reply #166 on: 24 June, 2009, 01:48:14 pm »
Is it possible to freeze raspberries without destroying them?  There are an awful lot there to be picked right now. :)

To freeze raspberries, lay them in a single layer on a tray covered with cling film and pop them in the freezer.  Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag.  They should be fine.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #167 on: 24 June, 2009, 03:57:13 pm »

To freeze raspberries, lay them in a single layer on a tray covered with cling film and pop them in the freezer.  Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag.  They should be fine.
Thanks, I'll try that (probably tomorrow).  :thumbsup:

Si

« Reply #168 on: 28 June, 2009, 05:01:31 pm »
Cried.
Something ate my strawberry.

« Reply #169 on: 28 June, 2009, 05:07:55 pm »
About 40 watering cans worth of water (it'll probably rain tonight).

« Reply #170 on: 29 June, 2009, 11:38:46 am »
I picked about 5 tubs of raspberries, froze 3, gave 1 away and ate 1 over the weekend. :)  Thanks Reg - freezing on a tray is great.
Not so good for strawbs though - when defrosted the inside turned to mush.  I'll have to eat them fresh, or make jam or something.

Regulator

« Reply #171 on: 29 June, 2009, 12:58:24 pm »
I picked about 5 tubs of raspberries, froze 3, gave 1 away and ate 1 over the weekend. :)  Thanks Reg - freezing on a tray is great.
Not so good for strawbs though - when defrosted the inside turned to mush.  I'll have to eat them fresh, or make jam or something.

'Fraid I can't help with the strawberries - mine have always turned to mush when I've tried freezing them.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #172 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:09:08 pm »
Spent yesterday on a snail hunt to protect the apples and pears.

« Reply #173 on: 29 June, 2009, 04:15:26 pm »

'Fraid I can't help with the strawberries - mine have always turned to mush when I've tried freezing them.

Fine for things like Strawberry Fool though.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #174 on: 09 July, 2009, 08:36:46 pm »
Cleared a lot of weeds, and tidied up some plants that had been dug up (including yet another shallot, and a couple of pea plants, complete with pods :( ).

Repotted tomatoes - something coming there.

And we finally got some produce.  Butterfly picked a few blackcurrants (a lot have been left for the birds already), and we got these:

More on the way, but nice to begin the harvest, after a very late start. :)
Getting there...