Author Topic: Turbo trainer for 16” rear wheel?  (Read 2550 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Turbo trainer for 16” rear wheel?
« on: 05 November, 2022, 01:43:24 pm »
The Young Lady is looking at hooking up her ICE Micro to a turbo trainer over winter. The trike has powermeter pedals and she wants to use Zwift, etc. to avoid terminal boredom. The low-slung Micro easily gets drowned through winter puddles and I want to avoid having to replace cables and gear components every week.

No doubt somebody has already investigated what trainers are compatible with a 355 or 349 rear wheel. My guess is that any ‘wheel off’ trainer suitable for a QR rear wheel will work, if the front wheels are propped up enough to keep the Trice level. Please let me know if you’ve found otherwise.

Are there any ‘wheel on’ trainers that would work?

Anybody selling off a suitable piece of kit, as an alternative to buying new?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Turbo trainer for 16” rear wheel?
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2022, 01:54:47 pm »
I've a bog standard £20 'wheel on' trainer designed for 622 wheels (just about works with 559 if the tyre's reasonably chonky), to which I added some spacers made from scrap MDF (sheet metal would be better) to move the resistance unit closer to the wheel to work with barakta's ICE trike (406 wheel).  Front wheels supported by a pair of the landlord's left-over breeze blocks.  It works well enough to perform voodoo ergonomics and bit of physioterrorism.

Rollers are another approach commonly used by recumbent trikists (not sure if very small wheels are a problem?)

But 'wheel off' would seem like the easiest option.

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2022, 10:28:05 pm »
I am looking at getting rid of my old Tacx Neo in the next week or 2. It is the original so not designed for thru-axle. I am in the midlands.

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2022, 02:10:02 pm »
With a wheel-off trainer, make sure that there's enough clearance between the trainer body and the frame.  I've just bought my youngest son an Orbea MX 20 (20" wheels) which just fits on a Tacx Neo 2T.

« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2022, 04:39:43 pm »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2022, 08:57:48 pm »
That suggests that a rear triangle for a 349 wheel might have negative clearance.

« Reply #6 on: 10 November, 2022, 09:32:54 am »
It's definitely worth checking before you commit...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2022, 06:25:40 pm »
I went for a SH Wahoo Kickr Core which seems to fit, though HK has only tested it with her thru-axle Kinesis so far. I think she wants to try most of her bikes on it (e.g. Moulton, Roberts) before getting round to using her Trice Micro. The trainer came with an 11sp cassette and both thru-axle and QR adaptors, so I just need to fit the appropriate 9sp or 10sp cassettes + spacer to swap between them. The Roberts is 10sp Campag but Spa sells a 10sp Ambrosio Campag-spaced cassette with Shimano splines to make it all work.