Author Topic: What new tyres would you like to see?  (Read 47199 times)

KidJambo

• Ex-sales manager for Michelin bicycle tyres
    • Michelin Tyres
Re: What new tyres would you like to see?
« Reply #125 on: 11 March, 2010, 11:03:04 am »
Interesting.  Why is that, KJ?  Is the market growing again?

We stopped making tubs as the factory was old and needed massive modernisation and, at the time, we were working on tubeless which we kinda viewed as a possible replacement for tubs. As you know, this was shelved (and Hutchinson picked up the baton and ran with it instead) and we have operated with only clinchers for many years. It was also felt that it was only more mature riders who used tubs as, when they started riding the performance benefits of a tub over a lincher were more apparent than today where the gap has closed and new riders to the sport would be more likely to just use tyres....we were wrong! Obviously we sponsor a number of ProTour teams (AG2R, Bouygues Telecom, Shimano to name but a few) and eventhough they are contracted to use tyres for a certain percentage of rides there are some events that demand tubulars so we have been making them for competition use for a number of years. The reintroduction of tubulars is to supplement our range (some people think that we cannot be a serious lightweight tyre manufacturer if we don't offer tubs like Conti and Vittoria) and also to enable us to communicate on our competitions successes - something we haven't been able to do until not because all of the wins have been on tubs!

Hope that answers the question! :D
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #126 on: 11 March, 2010, 11:26:37 pm »
Can't see the point of tubeless myself for non-pro road use. It's hard enough fixing a p*ncture in a normal tubed tyre when I'm soaked and freezing cold cycling in the back of beyond, but going to something that has to have a proper seal between tyre and rim to inflate - I dont think so  :hand:

Do you really mean tubeless or are you talking about tubs?

yes, tubeless. tubs are something else entirely....

Is everyone aware that Michelin are going back into the tub market later this year?

No. I need a couple of fast tubs at a reasonable price.

Links?

No price set yet but think mid-range so probably akin to the Pro3 clincher - should be available from about June (fingers crossed)

What about these? www.cyclingnews.com presents the 94th Tour de France
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #127 on: 14 March, 2010, 01:05:21 am »
Having experienced the vast improvement that radial tyres gave on cars, trucks, and motorcycles, can we have them for bicycles please?

It must be possible, or they wouldn't work on motorcycles.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #128 on: 15 March, 2010, 05:51:38 am »
Am running Conti 4 Seasons on the front and a Halfords cheapy tyre on the rear after the 7 month old Conti (on the back) exploded with a 3" tear in the sidewall just above the bead.

The Halfords cheapo was only supposed to be temporary but as it has suffered 0 deflations,  unlike it's more expensive, cut-to-buggery 'puncture resistant' partner on the front, I have kept it on despite it being Not That Good on the handling and comfort stakes.

Looking at the differences in rubber, the Halfords tyre seems to pick up less flint whereas the Conti seems to positvely suck it up which is where I think the problem lies with flinty incursions.

So I would like to see a rubber compound that is more flint repellant yet with the handling and feel of the Panaracer Stradius Elite TG.

H

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #129 on: 15 March, 2010, 07:56:40 am »
Having experienced the vast improvement that radial tyres gave on cars, trucks, and motorcycles, can we have them for bicycles please?

I can assure you that its something thats been looked at already many times!
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

inc

« Reply #130 on: 15 March, 2010, 08:55:09 am »

Is everyone aware that Michelin are going back into the tub market later this year?

Is this really due to buying customers demand, or  to increase Michelin's profile in the pro sphere. I like their tyres and have used them continuously for over 30 years. I still have some sprint wheels but would never go back to tubs. The hours spent unstitching repairing and sewing them then sticking them on the rim only to puncture on the next ride. Fine for pros with a team car and mechanics. Tubeless with sealant is the future, same ride quality as a good tub and real puncture resistance.

« Reply #131 on: 15 March, 2010, 09:42:33 am »

I can assure you that its something thats been looked at already many times!
Surely quite a few tyres are pretty much radials now?

If you look at the much-loved Paselas, you'll see that the threads are not woven, but parallel. They aren't radial, as some angle is needed to prevent 'wind-up' in the threads; bike tyres aren't as solid as car tyres.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #132 on: 15 March, 2010, 11:35:24 am »

Is this really due to buying customers demand, or  to increase Michelin's profile in the pro sphere. I like their tyres and have used them continuously for over 30 years. I still have some sprint wheels but would never go back to tubs. The hours spent unstitching repairing and sewing them then sticking them on the rim only to puncture on the next ride. Fine for pros with a team car and mechanics. Tubeless with sealant is the future, same ride quality as a good tub and real puncture resistance.

I don't use my tubs at the moment, because I don't race (probably won't ever, but the dream still glows somewhere).

If I did race again, it would still be on tubs, and good ones at that - every little bit of help would be needed!

For most racing that I would do I'd get a free lap out, or there might be service, so a puncture isn't a problem. In a time trial, if you puncture your chances of a place or time have gone anyway. I never raced on repaired tubs, and it's generally frowned on for road races or the track because of the risk to others.

« Reply #133 on: 01 May, 2010, 08:59:43 pm »
KidJambo, what is the score with Krylion Carbon in 25? These seem to be somewhat hard to find. Is supply likely to resume at some point later in the year?

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #134 on: 04 May, 2010, 08:09:29 am »
KidJambo, what is the score with Krylion Carbon in 25? These seem to be somewhat hard to find. Is supply likely to resume at some point later in the year?

There have been a few shortages earlier this year but we have stocks so our wholesale distribution partners (and thus the retailers) should by now - where are you loking??

<i>Marmite slave</i>

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #136 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:27:17 am »
A little birdie tells me they have new stock arriving tomorrow! :D

« Reply #137 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:48:53 am »
Good. Just in time then, I need a new rear tyre.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #138 on: 04 May, 2010, 02:45:38 pm »
I presume if you put in an order now, at the rather good advertised price, they have to honour it when stock arrives?

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #139 on: 04 May, 2010, 02:47:42 pm »
I presume if you put in an order now, at the rather good advertised price, they have to honour it when stock arrives?

Thats between you and them but I expect they would....think they bought the new stock at a rather good price anyway! LOL

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #140 on: 05 May, 2010, 10:20:32 am »
Sorry jambo, too late! I have ordered up some vittorias instead.  Despite being a great Michelin fan

Chainreaction are still showing as out of stock

« Reply #141 on: 23 May, 2010, 02:40:30 pm »
A little birdie tells me they have new stock arriving tomorrow! :D

It didn't happen, for some reason...

« Reply #142 on: 25 June, 2010, 10:05:24 am »

Thats between you and them but I expect they would....think they bought the new stock at a rather good price anyway! LOL

I still can't find Krylions in 25 anywhere. Chainreaction say none available in that size until September  :(

David Martin

« Reply #143 on: 25 June, 2010, 10:10:48 am »
I've got a barely used one I'll swap for a 23... 25 is a shade too big for the summer bike.

..d

« Reply #144 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:27:59 am »
So do you make tyres for bicycles then?   The reason I ask is that there's nothing about them on your UK web site :)

David Martin

« Reply #145 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:30:36 am »
So do you make tyres for bicycles then?   The reason I ask is that there's nothing about them on your UK web site :)

Bike tyres, Bike tyre range, mtb tyres- Michelin ?

« Reply #146 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:32:00 am »
I've got a barely used one I'll swap for a 23... 25 is a shade too big for the summer bike.

..d
If I ever manage to lay my hands on another Krylion 25, I'm going to preserve it in a sealed case.

At this rate, they'll be collector's items soon.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

« Reply #147 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:33:54 am »

..d
If I ever manage to lay my hands on another Krylion 25, I'm going to preserve it in a sealed case.

At this rate, they'll be collector's items soon.

I've got one. I don't want it as it is too big.

..d

Hilldodger

« Reply #148 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:38:40 am »
I've got a couple of bikes dating from the 1890's that should run 30" wheels with pneumatics. If you could see your way to doing me a dozen of those that would be great!

And, it's very difficult to get red solid tyring for Pennies and other solid machines, so a roll of that would be good, too.

Ta. ;)

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #149 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:59:06 am »

try www.michelin.co.uk/bicycle - should direct you in! :D