Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I asked for damsels and what I got was pretty fly
The Pub / Re: what I have learned today.
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 02:11:28 pm »
Four seconds would imply a larger supply of ammunition than most aircraft could carry. It also implies that the gun used is more resistant to heat damage than most!

The A-10 is a much heavier aircraft than the Hunter - roughly twice the mass (11,000kg vs 23,000kg). Also the 20mm rounds of the Vulcan cannon are considerably lighter (about 100g) than the Aden's (270g). The muzzle velocity is greater (1000m/s vs 800 or so) and the rate of fire is slightly higher (6000rpm vs 5200 rpm), but these aren't enough of a factor to make the A-10's reaction to firing the gun anything like that of the Hunter!

As a young "space cadet" we were at the Holbeach range and watching an A10 doing repeated passes firing that gun and visibly slowing on each occasion.  I've never seen a Hunter firing.

BTW - if you were in the RAF aroudn the time of the Hunter, it's very possible you could have bumped into my dad at some point.  There are photos for example of him sitting on the wing of a Hunter in Oman.  He did about 27 years in all, leaving as a Chief Tech at Brize Norton on MSS
Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by rr on Today at 02:08:46 pm »
Wordle 1,043 4/6

🟨
🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
OT Knowledge / Re: Underfloor heating pros / cons
« Last post by hellymedic on Today at 02:07:44 pm »
Beware that UFH can KILL pianos!

I wasn’t going to post this while a bathroom was being discussed!
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by chrisbainbridge on Today at 02:07:20 pm »

For context. This morning race around the Netherlands started. One rider is riding it on a cargo bike. Complete with crate on the front. You'd be amazed at how far people can ride on many different types of bike...

J

a person can ride anything pretty much anywhere with training.  What the majority of people cannot do is go from 3km to 100km without training.  It is never about the bike.
OT Knowledge / Re: Underfloor heating pros / cons
« Last post by chrisbainbridge on Today at 02:04:43 pm »
We have underfloor heating in the house we own and I miss it terribly in our current house.  That was wet UFH on an insulated bed.

When we go back to the house I will be putting electric UFH in the large hall.  just walking on a warm floor makes you feel warm.
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 01:58:30 pm »

For context. This morning race around the Netherlands started. One rider is riding it on a cargo bike. Complete with crate on the front. You'd be amazed at how far people can ride on many different types of bike...

J
The Pub / Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 01:56:04 pm »
We are currently going through same shit different local authority - https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7189160033471901696/

Secret meetings?  No, of course not they're "professionals meetings" and we always inform you of the outcome.

Well, let's show you your own lie - through subject access request under FOI Act, we have a heavily redacted minutes of meeting held in January, at which the local authority threatened our care company and predecided the outcome of a care planning meeting with us later that month, even going so far as to say "any resistance to this from mum should be documented". When did you inform us of that "professionals meeting"?

This was then used to ambush us at the actual meeting, unfortunately all the care they were trying to remove is fully endorsed/mandated by medical professionals.  They just don't care and are fundamentally both dishonest and stupid at the same time.

The Pub / Re: Heating on?
« Last post by FifeingEejit on Today at 01:31:12 pm »
I just leave it up to the Thermostat.
the bill for April gas is 50 quid less than March.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

The Pub / Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Last post by TimO on Today at 01:25:35 pm »

I just got some Knipex TwinGrip Slip Joint Pliers.

Like all Knipex tools, very nicely made, and comfortable to hold. They've got a quite unusual set of jaws, aside from the ends, for those really hard to get to fittings, the more normal gripping location is very uniquely shaped, presumably to allow it to grip a wide variety of different sized heads, and to allow for when the jaw is opened up to its widest setting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10