Author Topic: Garmin Edge 205 vibration battery repair  (Read 2886 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Garmin Edge 205 vibration battery repair
« on: 03 December, 2009, 02:26:23 pm »
Hi folks,

I have the Garmin Edge 205 (out of warranty) which suffers from switching off with excessive vibration, and is getting much worse. I have a new Oregon 300 for Christmas but want to give my Edge to my husband, who is an electronic engineer so can probably fix it. Thing is, I thought I saw instructions for resoldering the battery connections somewhere but can't find them with Search now. Can anyone help?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Re: Garmin Edge 205 vibration battery repair
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2009, 02:32:58 pm »
You should replace it with a GPS you can use!  :P

Can't help with the soldering but you could add extra padding to the mount to reduce the vibrations.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2009, 02:33:41 pm »
Can't help but I'm very keen to know the answer! I got mine cheaply off ebay and it developed the rather annoying habit as you describe which has rather shaken my faith in Garmin.
A shitter and a giggler.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2009, 02:34:10 pm »
You should replace it with a GPS you can use!  :P

Can't help with the soldering but you could add extra padding to the mount to reduce the vibrations.
Doesn't matter how much padding I have now, it even switches itself off in my top pocket on my coat, where it's resting very cushioned on lots of flab.

Well I assume it's slightly complex as someone on Ebay in the US charges 25$ for doing the fix...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2009, 02:46:15 pm »
Ok I know it's out of warranty, but I've had GPS and fishfinders replaced/repaired by them after warranty free of charge worth, giving them a call
Garmin (Europe) Ltd.
Liberty House
Hounsdown Business Park
Southampton, Hampshire
SO40 9RB
Technical Support 0808 238 0000
(0) 23 8052 4000

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2009, 02:51:08 pm »
Ok I know it's out of warranty, but I've had GPS and fishfinders replaced/repaired by them after warranty free of charge worth, giving them a call
Garmin (Europe) Ltd.
Liberty House
Hounsdown Business Park
Southampton, Hampshire
SO40 9RB
Technical Support 0808 238 0000
(0) 23 8052 4000

I would second this.  I've always found Garmin's customer service ethic/approach to be top notch.  They seem to be on the few big companies that understand that you need to look after the customers, even if they don't spend a lot.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2009, 04:05:56 pm »
They said £45 to fix it; I spent only £60 on it so I'm not going for that one. James will have to crack it open and have a look around.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2009, 04:27:31 pm »
Aha, found the links I had seen previously.

They are:

Garmin Edge 305 - Uncommanded Power Down - FixYa

How to Disassemble an Edge

MTBGuru blog » Surgery on the Garmin Edge 305

James will no doubt (when having a boring day) have a look at this lot and then decide what to do. I'll keep you posted if it's successful!

« Reply #8 on: 04 December, 2009, 08:11:13 pm »
Just followed the link, I lurve it 'uncommanded power down'

sooo............American

but I am still dropping power on very rough descents (like stairs), so I'm going to

and that is brilliant, do you need a GPS when riding down stairs?